I veto every open league trade that involves AAA players and $200K scrubs as they are always unequal trades.   I don't need to analyze any team's roster to know that these trades are grossly unfair to the competitive balance of the league and quite often involve unsuspecting newbies or owners with aliases. 

Here are the OL AAA player values from the forum posting on searching for the identities of AAA players:

OL AAA Position Players: $1,570,000 to $2,599,999
OL AAA Starting Pitchers: $950,000 to $1,849,999
OL AAA Relief Pitchers: $700,000 to $1,499,999

Trades of $200K scrubs for AAA players with these values are obviously unbalanced and unfair to the competition.

If I am ignorant because I always veto these trades, then I gladly accept my ignorance.  At least, I don't have an alias with which to collude to cheat the system.
4/19/2015 2:54 PM (edited)
Went into the knowledge base and found this tidbit "Remember your veto vote isn't a secret!  The owners will see who approved (really??) and rejected a trade.  Who knows how this could affect your future wheeling and dealing".      Doesn't really cover being called ignorant in a forum, or does it??
4/19/2015 3:17 PM
The trades I veto are the AAA for 200k scrubs for the exact reasons contrarian and Yaz2 point out. The other being the 2 AAA's for 1 AAA, or the (rarely) seen 3 for 1.  In all these cases I believe you can't argue with the math.
4/19/2015 7:27 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
"I don't veto. If I did it would be because I fear what the trade may do to my team...but I never fear that. If someone traded $5 million dollars for a AAA player, I may veto that because it is either fishy or the player giving up the money didn't realize it. But a AAA for a $200k player??? Doesn't matter to me."

$5 mil for AAA (avg. price $2 mil), will veto a $3 mil difference
AAA for $200K, will not veto a $1.8 mil difference

So, somewhere between $1.8 and $3 mil is your tolerance level for vetoing an imbalanced trade?
5/4/2015 7:36 PM
Pinot - read grizz's post. The actual value of the real player behind the fake AAA name doesn't matter. The trade can still improve both teams as contrarian said. One team recieves a cheap player he can dump to the WW for cash which may allow him to upgrade a bad reliever...say swapping out an Ox Miller for a Tim McCabe on the WW. While the guy getting the AAA may be upgrading the AAA position he got shafted on when he was randomly given that player. Just one example of many how this trade is actually fair for both teams.
5/5/2015 7:08 AM
My example of trading cash is much different than AAA for a scrub. With $5 mil in cash you can hit the WW and upgrade a player in a big time way. By receiving a AAA with real value of $3 mil...you are stuck with that player. You cannot drop to WW. And the variety of what a $3 million player is is huge. Could be valuable, or maybe not. If the player trading him had that AAA in the minor leagues the. No matter what his ratings are that AAA player is NOT valuable to his team. Perhaps $200k to use on an upgrade via WW is.

5/5/2015 7:13 AM
A veto is a behavior born from fear. Unless the trade is grossly unfair such as $10 million for a AAA player. Otherwise all agreed on trades are fair. The two trading partners contemplated the deal and accepted that it might help his roster. If it makes those two teams stronger (which it may or may not do) then kudos to the trade partners for doing something that makes their teams more competetive. Isn't competition what we look for in leagues? If that is the case the vetoing for the fairness of the league makes absolutely no sense. Which I say it doesn't for many reasons.
5/5/2015 7:23 AM
Yaz2Schill...not sure if you are suggesting I have an alias. I don't and encourage anyone who thinks i do to put a support ticket in about me if they think I do. Admin can check this. Id need a credit card under a different name to achieve this i think, and I dont. Otherwise I'd have different accounts with my credit cards...which I don't.

My name is Chris Willis. I live in VT which had an area code of 802. That's my username.
5/5/2015 7:28 AM
I think as an owner you have to be open to trading if you join a league that allows trading.  For example, there are owners in OLs who say "I veto everything" or "I veto all deals involving a division rival" or "I veto all deals where one guy gets a batter for a pitcher" etc.  If you're that opposed to trading, you should probably stick to theme leagues where it's not allowed.

Personally, I never vote against (or even look closely at) an AAA for AAA deal.

As for the more complicated deals (AAA for money or for 200K scrubs), it's a bit trickier.  But if I was reasonably sure that both owners a) were indeed two separate people and b) knew what they were doing, I wouldn't veto.

By the way, I think if the PA minimums were removed there would be fewer issues with trades, because then all AAA could (potentially) be useful.  But if you're forced to draft 4800 PA, those terrible A stamina hitters (like the one grizzly mentioned above) are never going to be of any use to anyone.  
5/5/2015 9:44 AM
Posted by cwillis802 on 5/5/2015 7:28:00 AM (view original):
Yaz2Schill...not sure if you are suggesting I have an alias. I don't and encourage anyone who thinks i do to put a support ticket in about me if they think I do. Admin can check this. Id need a credit card under a different name to achieve this i think, and I dont. Otherwise I'd have different accounts with my credit cards...which I don't.

My name is Chris Willis. I live in VT which had an area code of 802. That's my username.
they have the intranet in vermont now?  wow.

Seriously, I never veto anything, I always assume that they guy (or lady) who is running the team knows what's best for his team.

I have always thought the "competitive balance of the league"  argument is hogwash.
5/5/2015 12:16 PM
I still don't see what the big deal is.  When was the last time a trade actually got enough vetoes to not go through?  If there was one league where you got all of these guys that don't agree with you then that will be a problem.  But the last couple you put through only had 3 or 4 vetoes.
5/5/2015 12:21 PM
◂ Prev 12

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.