Mike Trout Topic

Posted by tecwrg on 3/3/2015 2:43:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 3/3/2015 2:38:00 PM (view original):
Tec?

If making more outs in play results in more runs scored, shouldn't teams that make more outs in play score more runs than teams that make less outs in play?
BL?

Do you think I'm going to answer a question about teams when I've already dismissed the validity of the premise?

How stupid are you?
So, according to you, a team's run scoring isn't impacted by how often their hitters strike out?
3/3/2015 2:45 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 3/3/2015 2:27:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 3/3/2015 2:13:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 3/3/2015 2:11:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 3/3/2015 2:06:00 PM (view original):
Marginally, sure.  More sacrifice flies, more runners being moved into scoring position for the next guy to knock in.

I assume you know how to read a run expectancy chart.  Something that shows how a runner on second with one out has more chance of scoring than does a runner on first with one out, as an example.

Do you not agree?
Following your logic, if making more outs in play results in more runs scored, shouldn't teams that make more outs in play score more runs than teams that make less outs in play?

Absolutely agree that a runner on second with one out is better than a runner on first with one out.

Though, is a runner on first with one out still worse than no one on and two outs? Because that also happens more often when you make more outs in play.
Oh, you're still stuck on that "let's only look at team level stats" thing?

What part of my dismissal of that did you not understand?

The part where you were stupid?

Obviously there are external circumstances that impact run scoring.  You're completely ignoring the impact of PEDs on run-scoring in your analysis (both of you are, because there's no easy way to correct for it).

Almost any statistical analysis includes some variables that can't be controlled.  That's why you use large samples.  Your dismissal sounds ridiculous, and would to anyone who has taken anything as high as stats 101 recently enough to remember jack ****.
Why are you here?  Why do you keep posting?  What have you contributed to this thread in the previous 32 pages other than your own stupidity?

At least I understand where BL's foolishness is coming from, a misguided and complete reliance on baseball statistics and formulas devoid of any actual understanding of the game itself.  You just seem to be an idiot for the sake of being an idiot.  What is your function here?

3/3/2015 2:49 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 3/3/2015 2:45:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 3/3/2015 2:43:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 3/3/2015 2:38:00 PM (view original):
Tec?

If making more outs in play results in more runs scored, shouldn't teams that make more outs in play score more runs than teams that make less outs in play?
BL?

Do you think I'm going to answer a question about teams when I've already dismissed the validity of the premise?

How stupid are you?
So, according to you, a team's run scoring isn't impacted by how often their hitters strike out?
Is that what you think I've said?
3/3/2015 2:50 PM
It's a yes or no, tec.

You either think a team's run scoring is impacted by their K rate or you don't. Which is it?
3/3/2015 2:51 PM
To show you his bullet?

3/3/2015 2:51 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 3/3/2015 2:51:00 PM (view original):
It's a yes or no, tec.

You either think a team's run scoring is impacted by their K rate or you don't. Which is it?
Which do you think it (my answer) is?
3/3/2015 2:56 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 3/3/2015 2:56:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 3/3/2015 2:51:00 PM (view original):
It's a yes or no, tec.

Which do you think it (my answer) is?
Why won't you just say yes or no? Why do you insist on going around and around and around?

3/3/2015 2:58 PM
Why do you insist on answering the same question over and over?
3/3/2015 3:01 PM
It's what he does best?
3/3/2015 3:03 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 3/3/2015 3:01:00 PM (view original):
You've never answered the question. It matters to the basic argument we are having. 

If batter strikeouts don't impact team run scoring, the strikeouts are irrelevant. If the strikeouts do impact team run scoring, we should be able to see it.
3/3/2015 3:05 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 3/3/2015 3:05:00 PM (view original):
You've never answered the question. It matters to the basic argument we are having. 

If batter strikeouts don't impact team run scoring, the strikeouts are irrelevant. If the strikeouts do impact team run scoring, we should be able to see it.
How would you see it at an individual team level?
3/3/2015 3:07 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.

Do strikeouts affect league-wide run scoring?  

They sure seem to.

3/3/2015 3:10 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 3/3/2015 3:07:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 3/3/2015 3:05:00 PM (view original):

How would you see it at an individual team level?
Teams that strikeout more should score less runs. Teams that strikeout less should score more runs.

Agree or disagree?
3/3/2015 3:11 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 3/3/2015 3:07:00 PM (view original):
You have to admit, it does seem sort of disingenuous to say that strikeouts are important for run scoring but then say you can't compare Ks and run scoring on a team level.

If you want to deal with the biggest non-random problem with that analysis, divide every team's runs scored by [(park factor + 1)/2] and then correlate to Ks.
How do you account for the difference in player's abilities in the lineups for two different teams?

I mentioned the '96 Mariners a few pages ago.  ARod, Griffey and Edgar.  Even Jay Buhner had a big year for them in '96.

Did all other 27 teams in MLB in '96 have 3 or 4 players of their caliber in their lineup that year?

3/3/2015 3:14 PM
◂ Prev 1...31|32|33|34|35...65 Next ▸
Mike Trout Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.