Cheaters among us Topic

I'm sure it would be possible to set up four aliases or more so that WIS could not tell they all came from one person. I know people who have four addresses (one home in the northwest, one in Arizona, and a P.O. Box at each place, for instance). Many people have four different credit cards. If someone's credit cards all had different names, how would WIS be able to sniff it out?

I don't know if it's still easy to get bogus names on credit cards, but I had a friend who used to order credit cards with bogus names just for the hell of it. (He was honest, as far as I know.)

I think crazy's evidence is compelling, but that doesn't mean WIS will be able to confirm that one person owned or controlled all four teams.

2/15/2015 8:06 PM
wow its sad that this kind thing goes on here its just for fun but when people start cheating then it takes all the fun out of it I know people cheat in real life out side this game to thinking thay can get head and get round you see it every day and so sad that it happen thank you crazy for pointing this out I don't what to do I sould stay play in this or is it time to say good bye something to think about
2/16/2015 7:32 AM
Posted by gees51 on 2/16/2015 7:32:00 AM (view original):
wow its sad that this kind thing goes on here its just for fun but when people start cheating then it takes all the fun out of it I know people cheat in real life out side this game to thinking thay can get head and get round you see it every day and so sad that it happen thank you crazy for pointing this out I don't what to do I sould stay play in this or is it time to say good bye something to think about
WOW
2/16/2015 7:37 AM
Has anyone contacted (sitemailed) the accused? If there was no wrong doing, I'm sure he would like to clear his name.  Seems easy enough. I wouldn't want to be redundant if someone has already done so.
2/16/2015 10:59 AM
I am sure he knows what he did. Why do you think he isn't saying anything. I agree with Crazy his punishment should be swift and his tales of lies aren't needed. Like you Crazy I will be dropping out of this league too.
2/16/2015 7:21 PM

8/18/2014 1:59 PM elbirdo
MLB109797 and MLB109859. It is my strong suspicion that the founder, hghsteroid, is also the person behind owner names lunatic69, cheateduser, dumbonewbie, gruntandspit, rockhead. All of these have little or no simleague history and many share the same naming convention for their teams. I'm not sure what the official policy is on this, but it would seem that entering a second (or third) team under a different name in the same league is unfair to other owners.

Thanks,

George
8/28/2014 3:07 PM Customer Support
Hi George,

All of the accounts are aliases for a user. All but one of the accounts has been closed.
8/28/2014 8:42 PM elbirdo
thanks
9/28/2014 6:35 AM elbirdo
Ok this league is now in the playoffs. The founder who, through his aliases , owns all four teams in the NL East. His best team in that division (62-100) is going to the playoffs. Are you going to let him get away with that?

-George
9/29/2014 4:37 PM Customer Support
Hi George,

The playoffs have started and it is too late to make any modifications.
2/16/2015 7:30 PM
Posted by alice on 2/16/2015 7:21:00 PM (view original):
I am sure he knows what he did. Why do you think he isn't saying anything. I agree with Crazy his punishment should be swift and his tales of lies aren't needed. Like you Crazy I will be dropping out of this league too.
Why are you so sure ? Maybe he is not saying anything because he does not know he is being accused of being a scumbag.
2/16/2015 7:47 PM
ff09 (the commish) told me none of the 4 IDs is opening sitemails.  

"The playoffs have started and it is too late to make any modifications."

I don't know if this is true.  It seems to me (and maybe my memory is faulty) that WIS has restarted playoff series once they've begun.  Which is what I wanted to happen in this league: for the playoffs to be restarted, with the 4 cheater teams DQ'd and the next 4 teams in line to be added.
2/16/2015 8:03 PM
He knows. On Feb 10 Skone post on the ownesr forum that he was shaking his line-up down 3 games to one in the playoffs. So what does he do he takes his front line starter out after 40 pitches and allows AAA to pitch the rest of the game. ( see Crazy research on this above.)
On Feb 14 Crazy exposes Pillsbury to the commish and the rest of the league. Now Pillsbury goes on to win that league that day. In order for him to know he won he had to visit the league and he has posted in the owner's forum in the past. No one gave him congrats on winning in the owners forum. But they certainly implied that he cheated. His silence speaks loudly.

I am sure he knows. I may have been born at night it just wasn't last night
2/16/2015 8:08 PM
I sent a sitemail to all 4 cheaters. The following sitemail was opened by Pillsbury, but he hasn't chosen to respond to me or post in this thread:

To: pillsbury

Received:2/13/2015 5:19:00 PM

Subject:Congrats

http://whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?TopicID=483502&TopicsTimeframe=30

I had sent the same sitemail to all 4 of the cheating group. The failure of the other three owners to open their sitemails is further evidence of guilt.
2/16/2015 9:09 PM (edited)
with regards to the OG Twist league, here is my sitemail yesterday to owners:

"Og Twist FutureMessage:Hi all,

Not sure if everyone is aware, but there have been some allegations and possible evidence of cheating recently brought to my attention. I have asked admin to look into it and am still waiting to hear. If cheating did occur over the past few seasons, there isn't much I can do about it now.

What I can do is take steps to prevent it from happening in the future. From this point forward, there will NO AAA trading allowed. We will still have 6/2 average AAA, but no trading them to other teams. What you get is what you get. This will make drafting enough AB/IP a little more important.

if the allegations of cheating are true, it will put a tarnish on the OG Twist Hall of Fame. Unfortunately, Im not sure if there would be anything I can really do about that either. I could award the runner up position the title, but this poses 2 questions: 1) Im not sure if I would be able to find out who the runner up was and 2) does the runner up really want to make the OG Twist Hall of Fame in this manner?

Anyway, I will keep everyone posted and I will be getting season 63 up and running soon.

I hope all of you will consider continuing playing.

thanks,
Greg (ff09)"
2/17/2015 10:33 AM
I am a long time player in this league and more than anything else, I am confused by why someone would go to all this effort to cheat. I want to win as much as anyone else but if these allegations are true, and the evidence is overwhelming, he is losing money in his efforts to win.

This is probably my favorite league and I really hope this doesn't cause it to end. I will continue to play in it if it does continue. I will choose to believe that the vast majority of players on WIS are honest people and that the cheaters are few. If I'm wrong, then what's the point. There is only so much you can do to stop this ahead of time.

One of the great things about this league is its great history, much of which is linked. So, while in the grand scheme the OG Twist HOF may not seem all that important, I think it is an important part of this league. In cases where cheating is proven, I would vacate the championship and make a note of why. It would acknowledge what happened and show at least some measure of trying to address the issue. Also, by publicly displaying this, maybe it will make other potential cheaters think again.
2/17/2015 11:32 AM
One thing I regret about this thread is my criticism of the commish.  While the playoffs were still going on I was pretty hot for something to be done about the situation ASAP, and unfortunately it wasn't, and that frustrated me.  Now that I've cooled off a bit I can see ff09 was doing what he thought was right.  My apologies to him. 
2/17/2015 12:13 PM
Since he won the TOC (after season 32)  he's probably ahead as far as money goes, and from what I see that's the only reason to try it.  And to repeat my question why that league that's been around forever,  was it the unique rules, would make more sense if he just joined a league with a relatively inexperienced commish or players

Would really like to know if he logged on 4 different computers and payed with 4 different credit cards, and give 4 different AOL (or whatever) addresses???
2/17/2015 1:02 PM
Of the cheating group, coupeville is the one with the longest history, and is on the list of highest winning percentage at the site: http://whatifsports.com/mlb-l/records.asp?rid=5&sublen=1&sublt=0&subt=0&subon=0

2/17/2015 2:00 PM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
Cheaters among us Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.