Cheaters among us Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
I wouldn't be for that.  I don't want people losing their jobs, or worse, over cheating on a fake baseball site.  

The New York Times recently published this piece on Internet "shame campaigns" that might make you rethink things a bit:

www.nytimes.com/2015/02/15/magazine/how-one-stupid-tweet-ruined-justine-saccos-life.html
2/13/2015 5:46 PM
Let's not get carried away.  Real names and addresses aren't necessary. 
2/13/2015 6:09 PM
Of all the leagues to do this to why your particular league, does the winner of your league always do well in the TOC?????
2/13/2015 6:27 PM
Posted by Bribar on 2/13/2015 5:25:00 PM (view original):
People wouldn't try to get away with this cheating if they weren't anonymous. Admin should post the real names and addresses of the cheaters.
Can't agree with that at all. They would probably be inviting a lawsuit and I for one would leave the site immediately. I disdain the sort of cheating described here, but public outing of the offenders is not the way to handle it.
2/13/2015 6:43 PM
Of all the leagues to do this to why your particular league, does the winner of your league always do well in the TOC?????

According to the history the commish has posted, only 2 teams in 61 seasons have won the TOC.  At least only 2 WS winners, I don't know about WS runner ups.

IMO, the reason to pull this in this particular league is the AAA trades, the advantage you get from trading with yourself.  You always hope you land good AAA, or that you can trade for them, but sometimes you have seasons like I just had where you have to give a rookie 1B 305 PA and get a line from him of .160/.289/.210.  If I had 3 other teams -- my own farm system, basically -- I imagine I'd never have to settle for horsecrap hitting like that.
2/13/2015 6:48 PM (edited)
very impressive Mr. Stengel
2/14/2015 8:02 PM
Been away for a couple of months and thought I would just check in to see what's new. I have played in this theme many times and think this is awful. I took over the first Micki when she left the site for personal reasons and she had some free teams for me to use. I never made any illusions that I did not have another team name (truemen).

I played a couple of times both as Micki and truemen, but never took advantage of it and made sure I was in separate leagues. Almost always it was to get the league filled. Yes, I did play my scrubs when I faced myself, so sue me. Did not feel bad about it. But this.....is on a different level.

Not sure how old this guy is, but I'm betting he is a millennial.

Thinking about getting back in.
2/14/2015 8:05 PM
I don't know why anyone would want to pay for 4 teams in one league to buy a championship like that. The guy is spending over $50 to play in one league. Even if the teams are free, it's still a lot of resources for one measly league. Good find Crazy.

It's too bad, but the commish ought to allow for U-Pick AAA, way below AVG and not allow trades. That would remedy the problem, but unfortunately change the dynamics of the league some.

2/14/2015 8:08 PM
The simplest and most logical way to fix this problem is for Administration to give everyone access to the complete list of user-names. Those that come from the same person and/or address could be grouped together. We wouldn't need to know the persons real name or address, just which user-names each person is using!
2/14/2015 9:43 PM
I lost the WS in 7 games to pillsbury.  Admin never got back to me, and the commish didn't seem to be too bothered by this, either.   Oh, well.  Great theme, but I won't be playing it again.
2/15/2015 12:46 AM
amazing detective work crazy i think that revealing this sort of thing helps all of the owners in the future. i would think a possible solution going forward would be to out this owner at the beginning of any season he is in by alerting the other owners of any possible trades that owner makes in future leagues. and bumping the forum post by crazy to constantly keep it fresh for owners in his leagues to review.  this would allow all of his future trades to be vetoed at least until he abandons these 4 owner names and creates new ones
2/15/2015 9:33 AM
As soon as I heard from crazy on this, I asked admin to check into it. they asked which owner names to research because they said it is difficult to check on something like this. I gave them the 4 owner names that crazy inferred. At this point, 4 days later, I still haven't received word from admin regarding the allegations. Until there is confirmation from admin, it leaves the possibility, even though its unlikely, that its all coincidence. This being brought to my attention as the WS was getting started, was just a bit late in the game. I will wait to start the next league until I hear back from them.

If the allegations turn out to be correct, it taints the league and the OG Twist Hall of Fame. I will need to figure out how to handle it.

2/15/2015 11:10 AM
I don't blame you for any of this, ff09, but with the evidence being so overwhelming I would have liked more hands-on involvement from you rather than the old "wait and see."  I realize it was late in the game, and I realize Admin hasn't said anything yet, so I sympathize with you there.  
2/15/2015 11:31 AM
Admin has taken cheating seriously in the past. I had a guy pick up players off the WW that didn't fit the theme and after sitemailing the guy numerous times had to contact Admin. I'd seen the guy do it in other leagues before too and he is a HOFer so he knows what he's doing. Too bad the guy didn't follow the rules...his team was doing well and the players were very minor. Usually the guy doesn't do so hot from what I can tell.

Too bad the game didn't prevent his illegal WW claims, but it did. Anyway I just asked admin to dump the players off his team and give him a fine for each instance, but they made him forfeit games too. So I think admin does take it seriously.

In future installments, I didn't allow use of the WW and usually do not in certain themes where you have to draft say a 10 year period or by franchise. It's too bad because using the WW can be fun for guys.

If anyone can tell me how to set up a league that will prevent someone from taking a player off the WW that doesn't fit the theme please let me know.
2/15/2015 7:19 PM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
Cheaters among us Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.