Yankees & Arod's Bonuses Topic

"Canseco was no steroids newbie. He'd begun to use in the mid-1980s, in Huntsville, Ala., while playing Double-A ball. To look at him was to know, or to choose not to see. The Washington Post's Thomas Boswell caused a furor in September 1988 when he broke the silence. On a CBS News show, he said Canseco, headed for a 40/40 year and the MVP award, was "the most conspicuous example of a player who has made himself great with steroids."

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=steroids&num=3
1/29/2015 11:03 PM
What was the point of that? Boswell said something in 1988 about Canseco and couldn't even get his newspaper to print it.

Here's an article about the press during the steroid era:

grantland.com/features/mlb-hall-fame-voting-steroid-era/

I think you'll bite on the andro that McGwire was using, so I'll inform you of how that went. It was widely reported that McGwire used andro. Almost everyone said "okay, whatever", then he said he stopped using it, and went out and hit 66 homers.

If you and your family knew of McGwire being on steroids, they should have written something in the newspaper, because you would have a Pulitzer Prize right now. You're full of ****.
1/29/2015 11:51 PM
Whatever, weirdo.
1/29/2015 11:58 PM
Other things bad_luck knew before anyone else:
  • Plot by Al-Qaeda to attack us on 9/11.
  • The Challenger would explode.
  • Exactly where Saddam Hussein and Osama bin-Laden were hiding.
  • During the 1999 pre-season, that Kurt Warner would lead the Rams to a Super Bowl victory.
1/30/2015 12:54 AM
I remember Boswell saying that. Boston fans chanted "steroids" at Canseco in the 88 playoffs.
1/30/2015 1:13 AM
Posted by stinenavy on 1/30/2015 12:54:00 AM (view original):
Other things bad_luck knew before anyone else:
  • Plot by Al-Qaeda to attack us on 9/11.
  • The Challenger would explode.
  • Exactly where Saddam Hussein and Osama bin-Laden were hiding.
  • During the 1999 pre-season, that Kurt Warner would lead the Rams to a Super Bowl victory.
Are you for real? No one could prove anything, but anyone paying attention strongly suspected that players were using steroids.
1/30/2015 1:28 AM
I don't think people generally realized, or were equipped to realize, when so much of the NFL was using anabolic steroid supplements in the '70s and '80s.  Once that was publicly exposed, however, I think lots of people were pretty suspicious of baseball in the '90s.  Just because you personally weren't, and everybody wasn't talking about it, doesn't mean you need to insulting people who were suspicious.  I'm pretty sure they weren't particularly few in number.
1/30/2015 2:05 AM

The steroid use timeline isn't that complicated.

The first widespread use in sports is considered to have been by the Russian Olympic teams in the late 40s/early 50's.
The San Diego Chargers were giving it to their players in the early 60s.
It was widespread in football in the 70s.

Use in baseball was a little trickier.   When I was in HS(late 70s), lifting weights was still a bit of a no-no for baseball players.  The fear was adding bulk would affect your swing and your throwing motion.  If a baseball coach caught you lifting heavy, you might be running laps for the rest of the season.  Since most policy in HS filters down from college/pros, I'm sure the same theory applied at those levels.   If you watch clips from that era, it's obvious that most of the players were allergic to the weight room.   That began to change in the mid 80s.   Players had lifting programs and, obviously, they got bigger/stronger.   I think it was Dave Stewart, but the "baseball men" felt he was killing his career by falling in love with his muscles.  Then, of course, Canseco came along and was wildly successful.

As for what people thought, I doubt there was much suspected steroid use in the late 80s/early90s.   Men in their 20s/30s lift weights, especially professional athletes, they get bigger.  That's just how it works.   But, in the mid-90s, when guys who were 190 lbs were suddenly 230 and faster, or were suddenly having a career resurgence at 35, people began to think something was up. 

I don't really believe anyone who says they felt steroid use was rampant in the late 80s/early 90s.   Like it or not, I think Canseco is telling the truth when he claims he's responsible for widespread use.  He was using and he had certainly had the personality that would tell anyone and everyone what he was doing.

1/30/2015 9:02 AM
As for what people "knew", and when, who knows?    When you get an odd guy just being bigger than everyone else, it's easy to think "genetics".    Hell, Babe Ruth was a big man back in his day.   When you introduce weight lifting into the culture, it's not insane for that "big" pool to expand exponentially.   But, IMO, it's when the guys who have been lifting for years suddenly blow up that you have to take notice.   Nomar on the SI cover, Bonds(obviously), those types. 

McGwire was a big guy when he broke in.   He filled out as he aged.  If I looked at him in a vacuum, I'm not sure I'd have suspected him of PED at any point in his career.  But he didn't play in a vacuum. 
1/30/2015 9:15 AM
Too long. Don't be so wordy next time, girlfriend.
1/30/2015 9:17 AM
Here's a good example:

If Boog had started lifting in 1971 and came to the park all jacked up in 1972, I don't think anyone would have thought "steroids".   He's just a big man.   Put him in the gym, he's going to be a bigger man.   Much like you'd expect from a McGwire if he started hitting the weighta hard.
1/30/2015 9:22 AM
I placed a bet with a friend the spring Sosa hit 66 or whatever that he wouldn't reach 50 homers.  It was mid-June or something. When he got there, I paid him and said "I guess he's using steroids too."

People knew. They just didn't care.
1/30/2015 9:26 AM (edited)
Meh.  Suspected?  Maybe.  Kind of like Nomar.  I think a lot of people began to suspect steroid use in the mid-90s. 

Knew?  I think you can put that on Bonds.   When mid-30s Bonds became huge, that's when people knew.
1/30/2015 9:29 AM
People knew that people were using them, maybe not specifically, but it was talked about.  

When Brady Anderson hit 50 in 1996, it was discussed then.
1/30/2015 9:32 AM
Lenny Dykstra came to Phillies camp with 40 pounds of muscle and was asked a ton of questions about it.  People knew what he did.
1/30/2015 9:34 AM
◂ Prev 1...7|8|9|10 Next ▸
Yankees & Arod's Bonuses Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.