Greatest Left Handed Pitcher of All Time Topic

Posted by burnsy483 on 1/17/2015 9:26:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/17/2015 7:39:00 AM (view original):
Posted by dahsdebater on 1/16/2015 7:53:00 PM (view original):
Posted by examinerebb on 1/16/2015 6:40:00 PM (view original):
Here is the downfall of these stats, especially when it comes to the Hall of Fame.  You can use them to approximate comparative effectiveness across eras, but you can't use them to judge impact on the game.  I'm sure by these metrics that Tom Glavine was a superior pitcher to Nolan Ryan.  I've told my kids stories about watching Nolan pitch.  Seeing batters wandering up to the plate from the on-deck circle, defeated before they'd seen a pitch.  Hearing him grunt with every pitch and hearing his fastball sizzle like bacon from behind the plate in a near-empty Kingdome.  What story do I tell my kids about Tom Glavine?  "One time, he threw a fastball eight inches outside and the umpire called it a strike."  Nolan Ryan, in my mind, is a vastly superior Hall of Famer.  The same can said for Biggio.  Are you going to regale your kids with tales of Biggio being hit by a pitch?  Was there ever a point where you watched Biggio and thought "I'm watching a Hall of Famer?"  I'm not sure Biggio was ever the best 2B in baseball, maybe not even the best player on his team at any point.  Yet he is a rubber-stamped Hall of Famer.  I played baseball for 20 years.  I've been a fan for far longer than that.  You'd be hard-pressed to argue that I need to deepen my understanding of the game.  But I simply can't understand this necessity to break a player's career down to digits and have that tell his story.
I've found that there are plenty of people who played baseball - including guys with long Major League careers - who are very poor at evaluating players, by watching them or through statistical analysis.  So saying you played baseball isn't going to prove anything.  Especially if you are going to sit there and say you don't think Biggio was ever the best 2B in the majors.  Who, exactly, would you take over him through the mid-'90s?  Knoblauch?  Even Alomar, who was at least near his prime, was clearly a step behind Biggio from my perspective.  I was pretty young at the time, but I was also an Orioles fan.

Just because Nolan Ryan threw hard doesn't make him a great pitcher.  He walked SOOOO many guys.  I would think that would have been infuriating to fans of his various teams.  It makes him fun to watch.  But it doesn't make him better or more "impactful."

I believe ebb was trying to explain the "feel" of a HOFer.    As I've said a million times, the HOF isn't decided by numbers alone.    Now that the PED guys aren't getting elected, there is no magic number(300 wins, 500 homers, etc, etc).    Whether that "feel" is media-created or not, it's real.    That's why comparing Biggio to Jeter is folly.    Watching Jeter, you felt like you were watching a future HOF player.   Dads could tell their kids "Pay attention.   He's going to be in the HOF one day" pretty damn early in his career.  I can't imagine anyone outside the Biggio family/Astro fans saying that down in Houston. 

You knew Ryan was going to be in the HOF, if only for his "moments", not so much with Glavine.

Biggio and Jeter are pretty similar, aside from that media-created "feel" you describe, and the fact that Biggio didn't play on championship teams. I don't put nearly as much stock into this "feel", the literal "Fame" part of the Hall of Fame that you do.
You and I don't get votes but I think the people who do lean more in my direction.     Jeter will be first ballot, people are still discussing the worthiness of Biggio. 
1/17/2015 12:11 PM
Pretty sure those people just elected Biggio to the Hall.
1/17/2015 1:27 PM (edited)
Posted by bad_luck on 1/16/2015 6:42:00 PM (view original):
Posted by ncmusician_7 on 1/16/2015 5:48:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 1/16/2015 12:36:00 PM (view original):
Posted by ncmusician_7 on 1/15/2015 8:44:00 PM (view original):
Pitcher A -- ERA of 2.50, ERA+ of 200..............Pitcher B -- ERA of 2.00, ERA+ of 200     bad_luck, do you consider these pitchers to be equivalent (assuming the same IP, etc)?
I don't know, probably. That's the point of ERA+. It takes into account the fact that it may be easier/harder to have a lower ERA at different times throughout history.

For example, a pitcher with a 3.50 ERA in 2006 had a significantly better season than a pitcher with a 2.50 ERA in 1908, assuming equal IP, etc.
The 1908 pitcher would have a slightly lower ERA#.
Not "slightly."

A pitcher in 2006 with an ERA of 3.50, had, depending on league and ballpark, an ERA+ somewhere between 128 and 145.

A pitcher in 1908 with an ERA of 2.50, had, depending on league and ballpark, an ERA+ somewhere between 90 and 97.
I said ERA#, not ERA+.
1/17/2015 2:05 PM
What's ERA#?
1/17/2015 5:31 PM
ERA#. And all # values, normalizes stats across eras, using log5 calculations and I believe, but not certain, that it normalizes for park factors as well. If you go into the sim league baseball and use the spring training roster you can go in and search using # and + factors. The + factors are most useful when looking at single seasons, whereas the # factors are better when looking across eras.
1/17/2015 11:27 PM
just looking at Koufax' career....he is a marginal HOF guy based on length of career...his whole HOF argument is based on 1962-1966...only 5 seasons...very good seasons to be sure...but only 5. Looking at the # numbers for the guys being debated here and in other threads is interesting. How many HOF worthy seasons do you all think a player as to ahve to begin entering into the argument? And how do we compare those kinds of guys with "compilers"? With all due respect to MikeT, I'm not sure how valid the "I'm watching a future HOFer" argument is for a variety of reasons...small sample size, availability of seeing certain players more often, confirmation bias, homerism, etc. It is stringing together enough of those observtions together that certainly begins forming the context for a discussion though...but I think you do need to look at the stats to get a better picture.
1/17/2015 11:45 PM
That's not the only gauge one should use.   Far from it.   Hell, Shane Spencer had a fantastic 30 game run in his first season so, most likely, someone said "I think that's the start of a HOF career!!!"    But when you talk about a player who was around, at a high level, for a dozen seasons, you should have a somewhat valid opinion of this HOF chances without pouring over stats.    I've said it a hundred times but I'll say it again.   If you start a HOF discussion with "I can make a case for......", it's highly unlikely you're talking about someone who should be among the best of the best.
1/18/2015 7:56 AM
barry zito is the best left handed pitcher ever

I have some nice beachfront property in Kansas I'll sell you cheaply too.

1/18/2015 7:43 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
No credit for something that didn't happen.

Maybe Sadaharu Oh would have been the greatest hitter of all-time.
1/18/2015 9:00 PM
DT brings up a great point...it's called the National Baseball HOF, not the MLB HOF.
1/19/2015 2:00 AM

Mexican League players?    Japanese League?    Why just Negro League?

1/19/2015 7:08 AM

3. Eligible Candidates -- Candidates to be eligible must meet the following requirements:

A. A baseball player must have been active as a player in the Major Leagues at some time during a period beginning fifteen (15) years before and ending five (5) years prior to election.

B. Player must have played in each of ten (10) Major League championship seasons, some part of which must have been within the period described in 3(A).

C. Player shall have ceased to be an active player in the Major Leagues at least five (5) calendar years preceding the election but may be otherwise connected with baseball.

D. In case of the death of an active player or a player who has been retired for less than five (5) full years, a candidate who is otherwise eligible shall be eligible in the next regular election held at least six (6) months after the date of death or after the end of the five (5) year period, whichever occurs first.

E. Any player on Baseball's ineligible list shall not be an eligible candidate.

1/19/2015 10:47 AM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7 Next ▸
Greatest Left Handed Pitcher of All Time Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.