Greatest Left Handed Pitcher of All Time Topic

Posted by bad_luck on 1/16/2015 5:46:00 PM (view original):
And 17 HR allowed isn't really that many. There have been 370 ERA qualified seasons with an ERA+ of 150 or better. About a third of them (92) allowed 17 or more HR.

127 allowed 15 or more.
A) I said elite seasons; if you're refining it to the top 370 seasons, I'm not sure I'd qualify that as elite.
B) 92 is less than 1/4 of 370, so still a small proportion of great seasons.

1/16/2015 5:52 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 1/16/2015 5:52:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 1/16/2015 5:46:00 PM (view original):
And 17 HR allowed isn't really that many. There have been 370 ERA qualified seasons with an ERA+ of 150 or better. About a third of them (92) allowed 17 or more HR.

127 allowed 15 or more.
A) I said elite seasons; if you're refining it to the top 370 seasons, I'm not sure I'd qualify that as elite.
B) 92 is less than 1/4 of 370, so still a small proportion of great seasons.

Yeah I read that as 270. And it's beside the point anyway.
1/16/2015 5:54 PM
So, since 1900, and ignoring park effects for simplicity, there have been 49 pitchers with an ERA+ of at least 200.  That's more what I'd call elite; even so, it's still more than 1 every 3 seasons.  2000 Pedro gave up the 3rd most HR of those 49 seasons, and the 2nd-most HR/9 (behind a Randy Johnson who drops off the list if you adjust for park factors).
1/16/2015 5:57 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 1/16/2015 5:57:00 PM (view original):
So, since 1900, and ignoring park effects for simplicity, there have been 49 pitchers with an ERA+ of at least 200.  That's more what I'd call elite; even so, it's still more than 1 every 3 seasons.  2000 Pedro gave up the 3rd most HR of those 49 seasons, and the 2nd-most HR/9 (behind a Randy Johnson who drops off the list if you adjust for park factors).
I'm guessing the vast majority of those seasons are pre-1920. It makes sense that a guy pitching in the 1990's and early 2000s would give up more home runs (while still being incredibly effective at preventing run scoring, in general) than someone pre-1920.
1/16/2015 6:10 PM (edited)
Here is the downfall of these stats, especially when it comes to the Hall of Fame.  You can use them to approximate comparative effectiveness across eras, but you can't use them to judge impact on the game.  I'm sure by these metrics that Tom Glavine was a superior pitcher to Nolan Ryan.  I've told my kids stories about watching Nolan pitch.  Seeing batters wandering up to the plate from the on-deck circle, defeated before they'd seen a pitch.  Hearing him grunt with every pitch and hearing his fastball sizzle like bacon from behind the plate in a near-empty Kingdome.  What story do I tell my kids about Tom Glavine?  "One time, he threw a fastball eight inches outside and the umpire called it a strike."  Nolan Ryan, in my mind, is a vastly superior Hall of Famer.  The same can said for Biggio.  Are you going to regale your kids with tales of Biggio being hit by a pitch?  Was there ever a point where you watched Biggio and thought "I'm watching a Hall of Famer?"  I'm not sure Biggio was ever the best 2B in baseball, maybe not even the best player on his team at any point.  Yet he is a rubber-stamped Hall of Famer.  I played baseball for 20 years.  I've been a fan for far longer than that.  You'd be hard-pressed to argue that I need to deepen my understanding of the game.  But I simply can't understand this necessity to break a player's career down to digits and have that tell his story.
1/16/2015 6:40 PM
Posted by ncmusician_7 on 1/16/2015 5:48:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 1/16/2015 12:36:00 PM (view original):
Posted by ncmusician_7 on 1/15/2015 8:44:00 PM (view original):
Pitcher A -- ERA of 2.50, ERA+ of 200..............Pitcher B -- ERA of 2.00, ERA+ of 200     bad_luck, do you consider these pitchers to be equivalent (assuming the same IP, etc)?
I don't know, probably. That's the point of ERA+. It takes into account the fact that it may be easier/harder to have a lower ERA at different times throughout history.

For example, a pitcher with a 3.50 ERA in 2006 had a significantly better season than a pitcher with a 2.50 ERA in 1908, assuming equal IP, etc.
The 1908 pitcher would have a slightly lower ERA#.
Not "slightly."

A pitcher in 2006 with an ERA of 3.50, had, depending on league and ballpark, an ERA+ somewhere between 128 and 145.

A pitcher in 1908 with an ERA of 2.50, had, depending on league and ballpark, an ERA+ somewhere between 90 and 97.
1/16/2015 6:42 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 1/16/2015 6:10:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dahsdebater on 1/16/2015 5:57:00 PM (view original):
I'm guessing the vast majority of those seasons are pre-1920. It makes sense that a guy pitching in the 1990's and early 2000s would give up more home runs (while still being incredibly effective at preventing run scoring, in general) than someone pre-1920.
16 of the 49 were pre-1920.  Far from what I'd call the vast majority.
1/16/2015 7:42 PM
Posted by examinerebb on 1/16/2015 6:40:00 PM (view original):
Here is the downfall of these stats, especially when it comes to the Hall of Fame.  You can use them to approximate comparative effectiveness across eras, but you can't use them to judge impact on the game.  I'm sure by these metrics that Tom Glavine was a superior pitcher to Nolan Ryan.  I've told my kids stories about watching Nolan pitch.  Seeing batters wandering up to the plate from the on-deck circle, defeated before they'd seen a pitch.  Hearing him grunt with every pitch and hearing his fastball sizzle like bacon from behind the plate in a near-empty Kingdome.  What story do I tell my kids about Tom Glavine?  "One time, he threw a fastball eight inches outside and the umpire called it a strike."  Nolan Ryan, in my mind, is a vastly superior Hall of Famer.  The same can said for Biggio.  Are you going to regale your kids with tales of Biggio being hit by a pitch?  Was there ever a point where you watched Biggio and thought "I'm watching a Hall of Famer?"  I'm not sure Biggio was ever the best 2B in baseball, maybe not even the best player on his team at any point.  Yet he is a rubber-stamped Hall of Famer.  I played baseball for 20 years.  I've been a fan for far longer than that.  You'd be hard-pressed to argue that I need to deepen my understanding of the game.  But I simply can't understand this necessity to break a player's career down to digits and have that tell his story.
I've found that there are plenty of people who played baseball - including guys with long Major League careers - who are very poor at evaluating players, by watching them or through statistical analysis.  So saying you played baseball isn't going to prove anything.  Especially if you are going to sit there and say you don't think Biggio was ever the best 2B in the majors.  Who, exactly, would you take over him through the mid-'90s?  Knoblauch?  Even Alomar, who was at least near his prime, was clearly a step behind Biggio from my perspective.  I was pretty young at the time, but I was also an Orioles fan.

Just because Nolan Ryan threw hard doesn't make him a great pitcher.  He walked SOOOO many guys.  I would think that would have been infuriating to fans of his various teams.  It makes him fun to watch.  But it doesn't make him better or more "impactful."
1/16/2015 7:53 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 1/16/2015 5:27:00 PM (view original):
You seem to be dismissing Walter Johnson out of hand anyway.  If you think Pedro would have allowed less than 20 runs in the deadball era, you have him with an ERA substantially below WJ's best seasons, way under 1.  Under .8.  Look how many HR Pedro gave up in 2000.  It's quite a lot for an elite pitching season - 17.  Maybe those aren't HRs in the 1900s, but most of them are still doubles or triples.  And with the dedication to driving in all the baserunners with smallball, a lot of those guys would have scored, presumably at least 6 or 7.  And SOME of the other guys who got on would have scored.  Pedro was pitching well, but obviously he was giving up some hard contact.  At least 17 times.  I bet it was more.  This is exactly why I don't think you can just translate using ERA+ to try to come up with an equivalent ERA for a different season on the far ends of the spectrum.  It just becomes absurd, and if you think about it very long, I don't think you honestly believe Pedro would have put up an ERA in the neighborhood of 0.75 if he pitched in 1908.
But Pedro would have been facing only white players, so not necessarily all of the best players of the time. I think trying to imagine how a player does in a different era is a pointless exercise. Do they get the benefits of modern medicine, training, travel, diet, etc. Does Pedro have to work another job in the off-season? How much racial crap does Pedro have to put up with and how does it affect him? What about media coverage and the toll that could take? Conversely, how do players of the past fare in today's era with advantages they never dreamed of?  And what do we make of 19th C players, especially some of those pitchers. Can you imagine how anyone throws 600 innings? (Read Fifty-nine in '84...a great account of 19th C ball.) Realistically, I think you can only judge a player in the context of his own era.
1/16/2015 8:10 PM
Posted by doubletruck on 1/15/2015 11:00:00 PM (view original):
At 6-10, Johnson was pitching downhill as much or more than Koufax did on the higher mound ...
I think comparing release points would be more accurate than height  ;-)
1/16/2015 8:14 PM
Seamar has a point.

As for Pedro: Does he pitch the same in 1908? If so, does a manager of that era use as a starter a pitcher who threws only 215 innings?

I agree with the point that you can't meaningfully compare pitchers from vastly different eras.
1/17/2015 4:22 AM
Posted by dahsdebater on 1/16/2015 7:53:00 PM (view original):
I've found that there are plenty of people who played baseball - including guys with long Major League careers - who are very poor at evaluating players, by watching them or through statistical analysis.  So saying you played baseball isn't going to prove anything.  Especially if you are going to sit there and say you don't think Biggio was ever the best 2B in the majors.  Who, exactly, would you take over him through the mid-'90s?  Knoblauch?  Even Alomar, who was at least near his prime, was clearly a step behind Biggio from my perspective.  I was pretty young at the time, but I was also an Orioles fan.

Just because Nolan Ryan threw hard doesn't make him a great pitcher.  He walked SOOOO many guys.  I would think that would have been infuriating to fans of his various teams.  It makes him fun to watch.  But it doesn't make him better or more "impactful."

I believe ebb was trying to explain the "feel" of a HOFer.    As I've said a million times, the HOF isn't decided by numbers alone.    Now that the PED guys aren't getting elected, there is no magic number(300 wins, 500 homers, etc, etc).    Whether that "feel" is media-created or not, it's real.    That's why comparing Biggio to Jeter is folly.    Watching Jeter, you felt like you were watching a future HOF player.   Dads could tell their kids "Pay attention.   He's going to be in the HOF one day" pretty damn early in his career.  I can't imagine anyone outside the Biggio family/Astro fans saying that down in Houston. 

You knew Ryan was going to be in the HOF, if only for his "moments", not so much with Glavine.

1/17/2015 7:39 AM
I started to explain how far over the head it went but knew I'd be wasting my breath.
1/17/2015 9:20 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/17/2015 7:39:00 AM (view original):
Posted by dahsdebater on 1/16/2015 7:53:00 PM (view original):

I believe ebb was trying to explain the "feel" of a HOFer.    As I've said a million times, the HOF isn't decided by numbers alone.    Now that the PED guys aren't getting elected, there is no magic number(300 wins, 500 homers, etc, etc).    Whether that "feel" is media-created or not, it's real.    That's why comparing Biggio to Jeter is folly.    Watching Jeter, you felt like you were watching a future HOF player.   Dads could tell their kids "Pay attention.   He's going to be in the HOF one day" pretty damn early in his career.  I can't imagine anyone outside the Biggio family/Astro fans saying that down in Houston. 

You knew Ryan was going to be in the HOF, if only for his "moments", not so much with Glavine.

Biggio and Jeter are pretty similar, aside from that media-created "feel" you describe, and the fact that Biggio didn't play on championship teams. I don't put nearly as much stock into this "feel", the literal "Fame" part of the Hall of Fame that you do.
1/17/2015 9:26 AM
Yeah, despite the feelings people may or may not have had regarding Jeter and Biggio, they are very similar players.
1/17/2015 11:26 AM
◂ Prev 1...3|4|5|6|7 Next ▸
Greatest Left Handed Pitcher of All Time Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.