Everyone is welcome to play.

Transport yourself back to the sixth grade. It's time for recess. It's time for everyone's favorite game, Dodgeball. The teacher has tapped you to be a captain. Who are you going to pick? I will pick four relatively equal captains. Each captain will be given a fictitious budget and will pick their five teammates via an open auction.

Division alignment:  Captains will place themselves first, in separate divisions.  As the auction proceeds, each captain will place each teammate, as they are chosen, in a division of their choice.  Teammates shall not be placed in the same division.

How do you win?  The total, regular season wins for each team member count as one point.  Every team that makes the playoffs adds five bonus points.  Every playoff series won adds an addition five points.  The winner of the world series gets ten points.  The most points wins the prize.  More on the prize later.

Once the season starts, we begin to throw the dodgeball. After the 3rd game of the season, the person with the worst record in the league (tie breaker is team with worst expected winning percentage) gets to throw the dodgeball. They will select someone, anyone, on another team, in the opposite league and they will tell that person that they must waive a specific player on his roster. The person who was hit, after waiving the player, may replace him with anyone he likes on the waiver wire and will then "throw the dodgeball" and hit someone else. The person has 30 hours from the time he is told to waive the player and throw the ball.  Note, the player “hit” must be waived, but not necessarily replaced.

Catching the dodgeball:  When you have been hit for the the fourth time, you may declare you have “caught the dodgeball.”  This declaration must be made within SIX hours.  This will result in the person who threw the ball at you, in losing a player of your choice.   That person will then have 30 hours to make the change and to and throw the ball again.  Note, you are allowed to  “catch” the dodgeball only once and it does not have to be on your fourth hit.  You can save it for later. EDIT - clarification, if you end up losing a player because someone has caught a ball you have thrown and you consequently lose a player, that loss will count towards the four "hits" needed so that you may also, catch the ball.

Penalties:  If the player has not been released and the ball has not been thrown after 30 hours, one point will be immediately deducted from the team total.  An additional point will be deducted every eight hours until the change is made and the ball is thrown.  Note, games are not forfeit.  Wins are not turned into losses and losses are not turned into wins.  A point is deducted every eight hours while in violation, even if the player in question does not actually “play” in the game.

You may not "hit" someone in the same league as yourself. You throw the dodgeball across the line - into the other league. You may not hit the person who just hit you and you may not hit a teammate.

When it is your turn to throw the ball you need to do two things, first, sitemail your victim and myself so I can start the 30 hour clock. You also need to post it in the league forum for all to celebrate. You need not wait 30 hours to make the waiver move.  It actually makes things much more fun for everyone if you don't wait.

As for the composition of your own 25 man roster it will be pretty straightforward.

no clones at all ever

No trades, AAA. DH or injuries
110 mil cap limit
any stadium you like, any season of player you like

Prize:  To play in this league you will need to buy a $10 gift certificate. Once I set the league # I will give everyone instructions on how and where to send the Gift certificate. Just don't send it to me. The winning team will split the $240 collected, six equal ways.

In the event we need a tiebreaker: World Series Winner followed by total regular season wins followed by total regular season homeruns.

I will set a season ending transaction deadline for ending all hits, very close to the end of the season.

When you sign up, please indicate whether you are willing to be a captain or not.  Please note, I may not be able honor your request.

Any questions, please ask and express interest by signing up below

1.  Spotsell
  2.  Pinotfan
  3.  Masterdebate
  4.  Hersheybear
  5.  Odalisgagne
  6.  Chuckinrlp
  7.  Jose can u c
  8.  Twfan
  9.  Dippedncrack
10.  Dorkster
11.  Cholatse
12.  Daballcoach
13.  Bastanredsox
14.  Razorclams
15.  Reddtrain
16.  Slotterhodge
17.  Spoonfed
18.  sjh0825
19.  Clk0619
20.  Toddleduc
21.  Rooskie
22.  Tulsaslide
23.  Tridentric

Need one more

Spotsell, Pinotfan, Masterdebate, Hersheybear, Odalisgagne, Chuckinrlp, Jose can u c, Twfan,  Dippedncrack, Dorkster, Cholatse, Daballcoach, Bastanredsox, Razorclams, Reddtrain, Slotterhodge, Spoonfed, sjh0825, Clk0619, Toddleduc, Rooskie, Tulsaslide, Tridentric

1/8/2015 4:29 PM (edited)
I'm in!  I like the Catch rule, should add some fun.  Just so I understand; you get hit a fourth time, and you can but do not have to declare a Catch.  You can wait; if you do, you can obviously only use it if you get hit again. So, you are not limited to Catching the ball from the person who hit you the fourth time.  For example, you could hit me for my fourth total hit.  Play goes on normally, and later in the season I'm hit by someone else.  I can then declare a Catch against that person, even though he's not you nor even on your team.  Right?

My only other question is the salary cap.  Did you mean to keep it at $110 million?  Personally I thought it significantly reduced the damage hits do, but heck I'd play this theme at $255!

And you know I'm always up for Captaincy.
12/9/2014 11:51 AM
Sounds fun. I will play. I'd prefer to not be a captain.
12/9/2014 12:03 PM
Posted by pinotfan on 12/9/2014 11:52:00 AM (view original):
I'm in!  I like the Catch rule, should add some fun.  Just so I understand; you get hit a fourth time, and you can but do not have to declare a Catch.  You can wait; if you do, you can obviously only use it if you get hit again. So, you are not limited to Catching the ball from the person who hit you the fourth time.  For example, you could hit me for my fourth total hit.  Play goes on normally, and later in the season I'm hit by someone else.  I can then declare a Catch against that person, even though he's not you nor even on your team.  Right?

My only other question is the salary cap.  Did you mean to keep it at $110 million?  Personally I thought it significantly reduced the damage hits do, but heck I'd play this theme at $255!

And you know I'm always up for Captaincy.

Yes sir, you can only "catch" the ball within six hours of being hit.  You can only catch the ball once.  It can be on the 4th hit or any subsequent hit.  You "catch" the ball from person person who threw it at you.

Yes, 110 million again.

12/9/2014 2:03 PM
In, again! Still advocate for lower cap... $100m? And to confirm, we're at 30 hrs not 36 now for throw deadlines?
12/9/2014 3:52 PM
Posted by hersheybear on 12/9/2014 3:52:00 PM (view original):
In, again! Still advocate for lower cap... $100m? And to confirm, we're at 30 hrs not 36 now for throw deadlines?
yes sir on the 30 hours.  I think the 110 left us all with some flexibility.  Half the league was under 100m by the end
12/9/2014 4:12 PM
In again. 
12/9/2014 4:49 PM
In again and I LOVE the catch rule! I'm personally ok with the cap too. (No on the captain question for me please SpotSell).
12/9/2014 6:18 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by grayfoxx on 12/9/2014 6:33:00 PM (view original):
I understand about throwing the ball at another *team*, but why cant you hit someone in your own division?, none of them are on your *team*.
The reason for that is so that your "throw" won't be self serving.  It is has the effect of spreading the throws around the league rather than the possibility of an inordinate percentage of throws concentrated in one division, back and forth.  This is the same reason you can't hit the person who just hit you, so it doesn't just go back and forth.
12/9/2014 8:08 PM
In
12/9/2014 8:29 PM
And happy to captain, if needed.
12/9/2014 8:34 PM
I'm back if anyone will have me. and since I have already proven my incompetence at captaincy, I will absolutely not be a captain

I also too would prefer a little lower cap. $100 mil does sound good.
12/9/2014 10:16 PM
GWAAAAAAAAH.

(In)
12/9/2014 10:27 PM
I'm back . . . what a great league.
12/10/2014 8:30 AM
123 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.