Very difficult challenge - $60m Tonka (16 in) Topic

To my knowledge, a TONKA league has never been attempted in the low cap universe. 

Those of you who have played in my leagues know that I try to bring everyone away from "cookie" players, and make you think about who you are drafting and why.  A TONKA league is perfect for that.

Why is it called a TONKA league?  Well, you spend a LOT of time putting together your team, like a kid playing with a Tonka truck.  You get it just about perfect, then find that you need to re-do something, and wind up needing to change 12 players, then it happens again... and again.

Why is that?  Because you have a 25 man roster and a $60m cap.  And you are limited to only one player from any team (WIS wizard enforced franchises).  One Yankee.  One Oriole.  One Pirate. 

That's not so bad.... But wait.... Only one player per year.  Yes, each of the 25 players needs to be from a different year.  25 different teams, 25 different years.

Still, that's doable... .But wait... Did I mention that each of the 25 players last names needs to start with a different letter?  One B, one M, who the heck will be my "Q".... I know, I'll put Isringhausen there for my "I", wait I aready have a Met..... You get the idea.  No player names start with the letter X, so you will be using the other 25 letters of the alphabet.

Besides the Tonka ruleset.....
- 6/2 below average Random AAA with real names turned on.  I find this is needed in low caps because it helps avoid the fatigue death spiral.
- UNIQUE stadium is on.  First come, first served.  Enforced by theme league wizard. 
- Random alignment. 
- No DH, Live play, WW, or trading.  Clones are already eliminated by nature of league
- Injuries are on.  Transaction deadline is pushed back to near end of season.

Why too much free time?  Well, this will be a PITA to draft.  And like all low caps, you will be managing your butt off to keep fatigue at a reasonable level. 

Goood luck.

Will create league after 12 commits

11/3/2014 3:46 PM (edited)
IN

LEAGUE NUMBER:   MLB110935

1  biglenr
redtrain
3  frazzman80
batgems
5  Fillies

6  Rickysdad44
7  urlglory
8  contrarian23
bribar
10 mllama54
11 dhomard
12 spoonfed
13 mattedesa
14 rjj4191
16 cartoon

Currently, 6 owners have run the gauntlet and entered their teams.  Comments range from "OH MY GOD" to "That was a blast!"
12/23/2014 8:21 AM (edited)
biglenr, any player restrictions or  can the salary be from 200k to max?
10/28/2014 10:26 AM
I don't live in an atmosphere of enough self-loathing, so I'll take on this Sisyphean task...

Is there a comprehensive list somewhere of what teams WIS considers to be part of the same franchise?

10/28/2014 11:39 AM (edited)
Batgems - $200k to max. I thought we had enough restrictions.

Redtrain - I do not believe so....Sorry. I do know it doesn't completely follow the franchise progression on the first page of the forums, which is why I explained the enforcement method. I don't know any loopholes, personally, but someone else might.

10/28/2014 12:00 PM

Low cap league - check
Crazy team-building rules - check
biglenr theme - check

I'm in...

As for franchises, this might help a ton: http://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?TopicID=463788&TopicsTimeframe=30

10/28/2014 3:34 PM
Welcome frazz and redtrain. Batgems, Let me know if you want to play.
10/28/2014 6:43 PM
biglenr, sure i am in give me the Astrodome....
10/29/2014 12:30 AM

I can't reserve it for you.... It''ll be first come first served when we enter teams. 

10/29/2014 8:24 AM
Love your low caps Len....I'll give this a try.....
10/29/2014 8:49 PM
Count me in.
10/30/2014 12:36 AM
Welcome fillies and rickysdad44. 
10/30/2014 9:44 AM
wel, i may stink up the joint at this low cap- but i only have a couple more spots to fill in my draft center and the letters and teams i need to use are quite abundant.
so- i'll take a spot too- len
hope this doesn't take an eternity to fill... i hope some of the newbies to the site and vetererans of the cookie legues  try this out, just for sh*ts n giggles :)
10/30/2014 5:40 PM
Len,
Not quite sure what this means,ie are the Pilots and the Brewers considered 1 franchise?
Thanks

Why is that? Because you have a 25 man roster and a $60m cap. And you are limited to only one player from any team (WIS wizard enforced franchises). One Yankee. One Oriole. One Pirate
10/30/2014 7:48 PM (edited)
Yes, the Pilots and Brewers are one franchise. That's part of the difficulty...
10/31/2014 6:22 AM
123456 Next ▸
Very difficult challenge - $60m Tonka (16 in) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.