Dodgeball Hits and Standings Updates Topic

And this is what immediately follows that portion of text:

"The person has 36 hours from the time he is told to waive the player and throw the ball. If the player has not been released and the ball has not been thrown after 36 hours, every subsequent game will be forfeit until the player is released and the ball thrown."

So the only line addressing adding a player off the waiver wire says a player "may" be replaced, which does not mean it's required.  The two lines after further clarify that point by addressing very specifically that the only required acts are waiving a player and throwing the ball within 36 hours.
11/2/2014 5:58 PM
I remember a couple incidents in the history of Dodgeball that are similar to this.  Early on, there was a limit to the number of throws and also a team could only be hit once.  One team (not mine - I'm still kicking myself I didn't think of it) late in the season threw the ball at its own teammate, taking out a bench player and thereby protecting that team from getting hit again.  The then-commish (Spotsell), acknowledging that was not the intent but was not against the rules as written, allowed it and changed the rule in the off-season.

In another instance, there was one season that (the details don't matter) the rules prohibited the use of clones in putting a team together but technically allowed you to claim a clone off the WW.  I did so - it was a Greg Maddux - then thought that perhaps that wasn't the intent.  I contacted the then-commish (Spotsell again), told him what I had done, and volunteered to eat the transaction fee and waive my second Maddux if that wasn't supposed to be allowed.  The commish said it was not his intent that I be allowed to claim a clone but my reading of the rules was right and he would allow it, and address the rule in the off-season.
11/2/2014 7:51 PM
Hey guys, just catching up with this now. If I'm the offending party here, my apologies. Nothing intentional. Just SMed the commish. I was moving fast this morning before picking up my daughter from a birthday party. I thought I'd added a pitcher ($2m 1914 fritz Coume, I think) at the drop, so I'm as surprised as anyone. I'll take whatever punishment he sees fit.
11/2/2014 8:19 PM
Posted by pinotfan on 11/2/2014 5:46:00 PM (view original):
"may replace him" - not MUST replace him.
We used to teach a business ethics class. One of the lessons we used to try to get everyone to appreciate was "do more than you have to do and less than you're allowed." It's a lesson that's particularly lost on lawyers but the vast majority of children get it intrinsically and, in time with a little soul searching, most adults do too. The fact that you found a loophole may be interesting but you are under no obligation to take advantage of it.  And when you know full well the intent of the rule (or law or whatever) and you chose to do otherwise, you're cheating. "It doesn't say I have to" is an excuse and a rationalization. 
11/2/2014 8:34 PM

No, I did not know full well that was the intent.  As I've said, I and many others - including the Theme Founder Spotsell - have played shorthanded.  To me, the fact that 'may' not 'must' is used, and the only other succeeding mention of time requirements references waiving and throwing but NOT replacing, it seemed pretty obvious  that immediate replacement of a player was not required.  Lots of us saw it this way; it was not a result of looking for a loophole.

I respect your opinion that the rules should be read and interpreted a certain way.  I and many others read the rules and see it another.  Please do not accuse me - and those who disagree with you - of cheating.  The public discussion of this issue has remained civil to this point.

11/2/2014 8:48 PM
Posted by hersheybear on 11/2/2014 8:19:00 PM (view original):
Hey guys, just catching up with this now. If I'm the offending party here, my apologies. Nothing intentional. Just SMed the commish. I was moving fast this morning before picking up my daughter from a birthday party. I thought I'd added a pitcher ($2m 1914 fritz Coume, I think) at the drop, so I'm as surprised as anyone. I'll take whatever punishment he sees fit.
Hershey, it wasn't just you. I think the practice was widespread. now that the rule has been clarified I won't do it again. The rule has its advantages and disadvantages. It results in fewer hits because it slows things down, but it makes each hit more effective. So in my opinion it's six of one, half dozen of the other. No big whoop.
11/2/2014 8:56 PM
Posted by jose can u c on 11/2/2014 8:34:00 PM (view original):
Posted by pinotfan on 11/2/2014 5:46:00 PM (view original):
"may replace him" - not MUST replace him.
We used to teach a business ethics class. One of the lessons we used to try to get everyone to appreciate was "do more than you have to do and less than you're allowed." It's a lesson that's particularly lost on lawyers but the vast majority of children get it intrinsically and, in time with a little soul searching, most adults do too. The fact that you found a loophole may be interesting but you are under no obligation to take advantage of it.  And when you know full well the intent of the rule (or law or whatever) and you chose to do otherwise, you're cheating. "It doesn't say I have to" is an excuse and a rationalization. 
No need to question anyone's integrity, Jose. I certainly didn't suspect there was anything shady about it. You play short handed for a while, or you pay 20,000 bucks for a beech warmer until a better opportunity comes along. Whats the big deal?
11/2/2014 9:01 PM
Posted by dcmatcheck on 11/2/2014 8:56:00 PM (view original):
Posted by hersheybear on 11/2/2014 8:19:00 PM (view original):
Hershey, it wasn't just you. I think the practice was widespread. now that the rule has been clarified I won't do it again. The rule has its advantages and disadvantages. It results in fewer hits because it slows things down, but it makes each hit more effective. So in my opinion it's six of one, half dozen of the other. No big whoop.
I don't know that anything has changed.  If I'm hit (not likely, given Team Pinot's performance this season) and it is in my best interests not to claim anyone right away I'm not going to.  Rick said he would penalize, but he's stepped down as Commish so as far as I'm concerned things are the same as before.  If the new Commish wants to step into this, that's another story.

And you bring up a point that was mentioned early in the League Forum but I think some people miss: this rules change will definitely slow down the game.  If you can't play shorthanded and there is zip on the WW, many teams will wait the full 36 hours if necessary before throwing, especially as we get closer to the end of the season.

11/2/2014 9:19 PM
im following the 25 man rule now, as we all should be. That was the commissioner's ruling and it hasn't been overturned. But for what it's worth, I know it added about 3 hours to my last throw. Multiply that by 40 hits or so and you've got extra 120 extra hours waiting for the next hit. That's four days and 12 games worth. That's few hits and a net increase in payroll available to the front runners over the course of those 12 games. So what's the point?

It has been said that the 24 man option goes against the spirit of the game. But isn't the game intended to knock the front runners down a peg or two?

Long before this controversy erupted, team Spotsell discussed the possibility of a stall in order to contain the damage we were taking. But we agreed that the stall tactic would make the game less fun for everybody. So I have used the 24 man option to keep the game going. Is that not in keeping with the spirit of the game?

Full disclosure: this is my first time ever using the waiver wire as well as my first time playing Dodgeball, so I may be missing something here. If so, would somebody explain it to me?

11/3/2014 8:50 AM (edited)
for the record, thank you for the kind words, but no thank you, Tridentric is the commissioner, right Rick?
11/3/2014 9:17 AM
No, Spot, he resigned.  Right now we are Commish-less.

And thank you for clarifying that your intention in writing the rules was that people be allowed to play short-handed.  I hope that settles the issue.
11/3/2014 11:01 AM
Posted by pinotfan on 11/3/2014 11:01:00 AM (view original):
No, Spot, he resigned.  Right now we are Commish-less.

And thank you for clarifying that your intention in writing the rules was that people be allowed to play short-handed.  I hope that settles the issue.
Nah, he didn't resign, he just got ******, that's all.  Everything is going to be fine, right Rick?  Play ball !
11/3/2014 11:06 AM
Posted by SpotSell on 11/8/2014 10:50:00 AM (view original):
Standings though 11/8 am games

Team Spotsell - DaBallCoach - razorclams - hersheybear - dcmatcheck - skunk206 - 225

Team Bastanredsox - mensu1954 - chuckinrlp - tridentric - spoonfed - jose can u c - 212

Team Pinotfan - sjh0825 - dorkster - dippedncrack - cholatse - micki -210

Team twfan - reddtrain - rickysdad44 - bheid408 - Donburgh - Odalisgagne - 193

I have not put a penalty on these standings, but there has been some additional misinterpretations in the league forum.  Under normal circumstances, a strict interpretation of the rules, would mean that since the ball was not publicly thrown by 12:40pm Friday (and the person hit was not informed by that time) a penalty should have been ascribed.

Two things - it did not matter that Covelski was waived in time.  The problem is that the next person was not hit by 12:40pm.    This has come in the past.  Under different circumstances, a player was waived in time, then the person, trying to play "stall ball" simply held the ball.  This is why the rule says "The person has 36 hours from the time he is told to waive the player and throw the ball."  Now, I understand, Chuck sent TWfan an email by 12:40 but no one posted it or told the victim.

I suppose in the spirit of go along and get along, well, I understand.

Also it was written, "PM games simmed before 36 hours were up. Nothing could have happened until PM2 games"  The Friday 11/7 pm1 games weren't simmed by 12:40pm.  I understand that Coleski was waived in time and I understand on a practical level, there was no harm but the ball was thrown 1:45 late.

Despite this, I don't see anyone wanting to give them a penalty, again in the spirit of go along and get along.

That's my bad on the time conversion since I'm in the Central time zone.  I think I added an hour for Eastern time forgetting that site time is already Eastern.  Anyway, it was a specific circumstance at a strange time of tension so diffusing that with no penalties seemed prudent.
11/9/2014 12:15 PM
Elton Chamberlain, former star pitcher of the Dodge Challengers Baseball team, has been reported missing from the mental hospital to which he had only recently been admitted.  Dr. Sigmund Fraud, senior psychologist on staff at the Elwood P. Dodge Memorial Hospital for the Really Really Nervous, announced at a press conference this afternoon that Chamberlain had been missing for the past 2 days.  "Normally, we do not share this kind of information with the public except in cases where the safety of the patient or of the community is at risk."  Dr. Fraud would not provide details of Chamberlain's condition, but would only say that he is suffering from a form of paranoid delusions which could trigger violent reactions when challenged.  "He was by no means finished with his treatment."  Dr. Fraud stated.  "For his own good we ask anyone who has any information regarding his whereabouts to contact us immediately.  You should not attempt to engage him in conversation or to detain him.  Conact the hospital or the police and leave it to the professionals."  

Although Dr. Fraud would not discuss Chamberlain's case in detail, many have speculated that the immense pressure of performing at the highest level of sport while opponents threw objects at him and his teammates.  Dr. Phil Kwikdraw, an expert in mental health issues and advocate for the really really nervous has no doubt that Chamberlain won't be the last to suffer because of the unusual league rules.  "I mean c'mon, its hard enough facing Babe Ruth with a 1 run lead in the ninth without having players from the opposing dugout throwing stuff at you all the time."  Dr. Kwikdraw has long been an advocate of a rules change prohibiting such personal attacks.  "What will it take to make the commissioner realize that something needs to change?"  
11/11/2014 6:43 PM (edited)
EXCLUSIVE TO THE NATIONAL SLANDERER:  AN INTERVIEW WITH ELTON CHAMBERLAIN'S WIFE"

Looking tired and distraught, but not particularly nervous, Mrs. Chamberlain sat opposite our correspondent and gave straight answers to the most personal questions about her husband's case.  "I'm just doing this because I love him and he's in trouble and people need to know, " she said, holding back the tears with an enormous snort.  "He's a good man, but he hasn't been himself since joining that stupid Dodgeball league.  About a month ago, he started changing hotel rooms every night.  He would never answer the phone.  He kept going on and on about the body snatchers from the Planet Pokeman.  He said they were planning to steal everything, his career, his body, me, his whole life.  Like something out of Stepford wives, he said, one day some robot was gonna show up in my bed pretending to be him."   She tried telling management that he needed help,  but they seemed to care more about his ERA than his fragile mental state. " I had to do something, so I'm the one who called the hospital.  I'm the one who signed the papers."    Asked when she had seen him last, she responded, "I haven't seen him since he left the hospital, but I did get this note today."  Sadly, the note said nothing that would help police ascertain his whereabouts; just a cryptic message, "I forgive you.  How could you understand what's happening to me?  I gotta catch 'em all, honey, just gotta catch 'em all."

11/11/2014 3:57 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Dodgeball Hits and Standings Updates Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.