Round 2 Themes Topic

The Worst Picks First, $60M 
Based on the final standings from round 1, the top 6 owners will be designated as the captains and will conduct a 3-round draft of the other 18 advancing owners (i.e., the captain will select his three division opponents). The draft order will be based on the round 1 final standings and the rounds will go 1-6, 6-1, 6-1. (The owner ranked first gets first pick in round 1 and last pick in rounds 2-3).

After the divisions are determined, each team (within the division) will build its roster in the following manner. The owner who was picked in the first round of the draft will select his roster from all available players, with no restrictions. He will then site-mail his final roster to the owner who was picked in the second round of the draft. This owner will then select his roster from all remaining players available (i.e., all versions of the 25 players from the first roster are blacklisted). Then the second round owner will forward both rosters to the owner selected in the third round, who selects his roster (now adhering to a 50-player blacklist). And finally, this third owner sends all three rosters to the captain, who selects his roster (adhering to the 75-player blacklist). Each of the six divisions will build their rosters in the same fashion. There is no overlap across divisions, so the same player could appear on teams from different divisions.  The ballpark should be included as part of the roster and is subject to the blacklist rule.

Other Specifics
Seasons: All
DH: No
WW: No
AAA: No
Trades: No
Clones: No
Injuries: Turned On
SLL: Not allowed
Multi-team players: No restrictions (i.e., you can use partial or combined)
Ballpark: Unique ballparks within a division
300K Exception: N/A
Team Name: Anything
Division Alignment: Divisions are determined at the original owner draft. The owners ranked 1, 4, 5 are in the NL.  The owners ranked 2, 3, 6 are in the AL.
8/31/2014 9:11 PM
Q/A for $60 Theme:
8/31/2014 9:11 PM
All-Star Game Twist, $80M 
Pick any MLB All-Star game (1933-2014) and use any player from either league that appeared in the game. You are allowed to "twist" the players in order to use any season of that player.  You can use any <300K player from the same season of your all-star game (untwisted). And yes, I know that relief pitchers didn’t appear in the all-star game until very ecently, so if you choose an all-star game without relievers, you’ll have to be creative when building your pitching staff.  For the years with two all-star games, you have to select which game you are using.

Other Specifics
Seasons: Any (you are allowed to twist players to seasons prior to 1933)
Ballpark: Use the ballpark where the all-star game was played
300K Exception: Yes, you may use <300K players (not twisted) from the same season as your all-star game
Team Name: Include the season of your all-star game
Division Alignment: Random
8/31/2014 9:19 PM
Q/A for $80M Theme:

Q: Do I have to pick players from only the AL or NL teams or can I use players from both squads?
A: You can use players from both AL and NL.
10/6/2014 10:05 AM (edited)
Realistic Roster (Post War Era), $90M 
All players must be from seasons 1946+

Pitching:
You must roster exactly 4 pitchers with the SP designation.
You may roster up to 7 pitchers with the “RP” designation.
Exactly one pitcher must have 30+ saves.
No other pitcher may have more than 10 saves.

Position Players:
For position players, you must fulfill one of each of the following seven categories (i.e., each category must be represented at least once, such that a different player can be slotted into each of the seven categories).  These 7 players each must have 500+ PA/162.  No other players on your roster may have 500+ PA/162.

1. Must have 40+ SBs
2. Must have 35+ HRs
3. Must have 100+ walks
4. Must have 100+ strikeouts
5. Must have A/A or better infielder (does not need to be primary position)
6. Must have A+ range outfielder  (does not need to be primary position)
7. Must have hitter with a max of .270/.360/.450 avg/obp/slug

And finally, you may have at most four players under $500,000 in salary on your roster..

Other Specifics
Seasons: 1946+
Ballpark: Any ballpark in use from 1946+
Team Name: Any
8/31/2014 10:07 PM
Q/A for $90M Theme:

Q: I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but AVG max is meant to be 0.27000000..., right? A player who's at 0.2702 isn't eligible even if they show up as 0.270 on the front screen.
A: That is correct.  The search engine should check that for you.  Just enter 0.27 as the max, and nobody at .27001 should show up in the search.

Q: So no '75 Gary Carter. There may be several illegal rosters if we don't mention him by name
A: He does not qualify under of any the 7 categories. 
9/19/2014 1:36 PM (edited)
One Key Player & Teammates, $100M 
Pick one player who has at least 6 but no more than 12 unique seasons in the sim. You must roster any version of that player. The rest of your roster must use teammates that played with your player during the course of his career (sim-eligible seasons only). You must have a teammate from every sim season that your key player played. And you must have a balance of teammates. For example, if you pick a player with exactly 6 seasons, then you must take 4 teammates per season. If you take a guy with 7 seasons, that’s 3-4 teammates per season. If 8 seasons, then exactly 3 teammates per season. If 9 or 10 seasons, then you will have 2-3 teammates per season.  If 12 seasons, exactly 2 per season.

For players who played on multiple teams in the same year, you can select teammates from either (or both teams), but that still counts as just one season. Example: Deion Sanders has 8 eligible seasons in the sim (1990-1995, 1997, 2001). Note that 1989 is not sim-eligible and thus is not counted. So that means 3 teammates are required from each of those 8 seasons. He played for both the Braves and Reds in 1994. You can select 0-3 Braves and/or 0-3 Reds teammates from 1994 (as long as his 1994 teammates equals 3). No 300K exception.

Other Specifics
Seasons: Any
Ballpark: Use the ballpark that your key player played in during the season you selected
Team Name: Include your key player in the team name
9/3/2014 9:37 AM (edited)
Q/A for 100M Theme

Q: What ballbark do you choose if the one your player played in that year isn't an option?
A: If not available, use the park he played in closest to the season you selected.
9/19/2014 1:37 PM (edited)
2013-14 AL/NL Draft, No Salary Cap 
This league will use players from 2013-14 only. The players will be divided up into AL only and NL only. If a player played in both leagues during these two seasons, there will be a determination prior to the draft of which league he will be included in. There will be two separate 12-team drafts, one AL, one NL. If you finished in the top 12 in round 1, you will be part of the NL draft. Otherwise, you will be in the AL draft. The AL will use the DH, the NL will not. The draft order for round 1 will be determined randomly. After the first round, each successive round will be in reverse order of cumulative salary. There is no salary cap. There will be a total of 20 rounds (1 player per round for the first 15 rounds, 2 players per round in rounds 16-20). Prior to the draft, we’ll draft our ballparks, going in reverse order of the first round. You must draft a ballpark in use in 2013-14 from your respective league. Division alignment within each league will be based on total salary (i.e., highest four salaried teams in the East, lowest in the West).

Other Specifics
Seasons: Any
DH: Yes for AL
Trades: You can trade draft positions prior to the draft.  No trading once the draft starts.
Ballpark: Unique ballpark determined by draft
Team Name: Anything
Division Alignment: Based on salary within each league
9/3/2014 9:53 AM (edited)
Q/A for the no-cap theme:

Q: For the 13/14 player draft, can a player be drafted twice, once for each year?  In other words, can Clayton Kershaw '13 and Clayton Kershaw '14 both be drafted?
A: Only one instance of each player.  You have to decide at the time of draft which version you are taking (in order to calculate current salary). 

Q: What about players who play for both leagues?
Once the 2014 season comes out, I will go through all the players that played in both leagues during these two seasons and assign each of those players to one league (based on which season is the better of the two).
9/19/2014 1:34 PM (edited)
2-4-8 Draft, $110M 
This league will have a 6-round draft (modified serpentine, 1-24, 24-1, 24-1, 1-24, 24-1, 1-24). The draft order will be determined randomly. You will draft two franchises and four seasons. You can select either a franchise or season in any of the six rounds. Individual seasons (1901-2014) can be selected only once. Franchises (Senators/Twins = one franchise) can be selected up to three times. At the end of the draft, you will combine the franchises and seasons to give you eight teams (2 x 4= 8) to choose your players from.

For example, if my seasons were 1927, 1935, 1961, 2013 and my franchises were Yankees and Pirates, I will build my roster using players from 1927 Yankees, 1927 Pirates, 1935 Yankees, 1935 Pirates, 1961 Yankees, 1961 Pirates, 2013 Yankees & 2013 Pirates.  There is no rule of how many players per team you must use.

You may use expansion teams, but keep in mind you may end up with fewer than eight choices if you select a season before the expansion teams came into existence. There will be no 300K exception, so keep that in mind when making your selections.

The DH will be in use.

Other Specifics
Seasons: 1901-2014
DH: Yes
Trades: You can trade draft positions prior to the draft.  No trading once the draft starts.
Ballpark: Use a ballpark used by one of you 8 teams
Team Name: Use the two franchises as part of your team name. 
Division Alignment: Based on draft order (picks 1-4 are in the NL East, etc.)
10/5/2014 9:51 AM (edited)
Q/A for 110M Theme

Q: Do the 1901 and 1902 Orioles still count as Yankee seasons for the purposes of the 110M theme, or are we going with baseball-reference.com's new designation of the 1903 Yankees as an expansion franchise?
A: We'll follow baseball reference and NOT include them as part of the Yankees franchise.

Q: Will the league alignment for the $110m league be based on the first round draft order (i.e. picks 1-12 go into the NL and 13-24 into the AL) with the final division alignment based on the overall salary in that league I assume.  Or is it something else that isn't obvious to me.
A: EDIT - I accidentally answered this question for the 2013-14 draft.  The league alignment will be based on the draft order (picks 1-4 in the NL East)

10/14/2014 11:06 AM (edited)
Do the 1901 and 1902 Orioles still count as Yankee seasons for the purposes of the 110M theme, or are we going with baseball-reference.com's new designation of the 1903 Yankees as an expansion franchise?
9/3/2014 1:32 PM
I knew this question would come up.  We'll go ahead and follow baseball reference and NOT include them as part of the Yankees franchise.
9/3/2014 1:58 PM
Will the league alignment for the $110m league be based on the first round draft order (i.e. picks 1-12 go into the NL and 13-24 into the AL) with the final division alignment based on the overall salary in that league I assume.  Or is it something else that isn't obvious to me.
9/3/2014 4:07 PM
12345 Next ▸
Round 2 Themes Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.