3. Auburn
4. Mississippi
5. Oregon
6. Alabama
7. TCU
8. Michigan State
9. Kansas State
10. Notre Dame
Georgia, Arizona, Baylor, Arizona State, Nebraska, Ohio State, Utah, Oklahoma, LSU, and West Virginia are the next 10
10/29/2014 7:24 AM
I think it's a shame that FSU is #2.   On a neutral field next Saturday, I'd take Miss St, Auburn, Ole Miss, Oregon, Bama, MSU and ND over them.    But, as I've been saying, they are likely to run the table and get in based on record.

Auburn at 3, with no D against a sorry SC team, seems insane also.   I suppose they could outscore anyone, although KSU did a solid D job against them, so they're somewhere in the top 10. 
10/29/2014 8:21 AM
rankings are based on the criteria, which account for results.  That seems about right based on the season as a whole.  I do think if this was the final Oregon would be in there for one of the SEC teams, but seems about right to me for this point of the season.
10/29/2014 8:40 AM
If you throw out pre-season rankings, FSU wouldn't be there for any other reason than beating up crappy teams.    They have not looked like a championship team.    But, as the season has played out, I don't have much gripe with what the committe has done.    IMO, Auburn, Ole Miss and Miss St are all going to lose games.   That's gonna put FSU at #1 and that smells like bullshit.    Realistically, a 1 loss TCU team could get in over a 1 loss Miss St.   That would be wrong.
10/29/2014 8:54 AM
In all honesty, this one really doesn't matter.   They could have put the 4 SEC West teams 1-4 and everyone knows they'll be playing one another.
10/29/2014 9:05 AM
I think the value in this one is getting a look at their thinking in applying the criteria.  One thing that's obvious is that they don't seem to be looking "behind" the results.  Wins seem to be wins, losses seem to be losses.  And who you beat seems to be much important than who you lost to in sorting out teams with similar records.  Notre Dame, for instance, hasn't beaten anyone now that Stanford doesn't look like that big of a win, and they aren't getting a ton of credit for having what might be the "best" loss out there.  Auburn didn't look good beating SC, but they won, and they also have wins over K State and LSU, etc.

It will be interesting to see if these rankings wind up being considerably more dynamic than the polls usually are.  You would think they would be if the committee is really doing their job and re-evaluating the criteria every week
10/29/2014 10:19 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/29/2014 8:54:00 AM (view original):
If you throw out pre-season rankings, FSU wouldn't be there for any other reason than beating up crappy teams.    They have not looked like a championship team.    But, as the season has played out, I don't have much gripe with what the committe has done.    IMO, Auburn, Ole Miss and Miss St are all going to lose games.   That's gonna put FSU at #1 and that smells like bullshit.    Realistically, a 1 loss TCU team could get in over a 1 loss Miss St.   That would be wrong.
Florida State beat Notre Dame and a solid Clemson squad without Winston.  They also beat an average Oklahoma St. squad on a neutral field.  I think you are being far harder on FSU than you are on most teams, especially your binkie Alabama. 
10/29/2014 10:39 AM
Clemson lost to GA and struggled against Syracuse, Boston College and Louisville.  I'm not sure Clemson is a quality win.    Notre Dame doesn't really have a quality win.  Their best game was a loss to FSU(and they outplayed FSU).     FSU has not looked like a top 4 team. 
10/29/2014 12:59 PM
Posted by AlCheez on 10/29/2014 10:19:00 AM (view original):
I think the value in this one is getting a look at their thinking in applying the criteria.  One thing that's obvious is that they don't seem to be looking "behind" the results.  Wins seem to be wins, losses seem to be losses.  And who you beat seems to be much important than who you lost to in sorting out teams with similar records.  Notre Dame, for instance, hasn't beaten anyone now that Stanford doesn't look like that big of a win, and they aren't getting a ton of credit for having what might be the "best" loss out there.  Auburn didn't look good beating SC, but they won, and they also have wins over K State and LSU, etc.

It will be interesting to see if these rankings wind up being considerably more dynamic than the polls usually are.  You would think they would be if the committee is really doing their job and re-evaluating the criteria every week
To me, it looks like they're simply mirroring the way the polls have always been done.   What will be interesting is what they do when Miss St, Auburn, Bama and Ole Miss finish with one another.    I think an argument could be made for all of them in the top 4.   Yet, when all is said and done, 2-3 of them could be 2-3 loss teams and the only teams they would have lost to would be SEC West teams. 
10/29/2014 1:02 PM
Assuming the team I feel is better wins, we end up with this:

Bama 11-1 loss to Ole Miss
Miss St  11-1  loss to Bama
Auburn  10-2  loss to Bama, Miss St
Ole Miss  9-3 loss to Auburn, Miss St, LSU

Does TCU, KSU, ND or MSU get in over Miss St?    I could understand over Auburn(they had their chances).
10/29/2014 1:42 PM
I think a lot of that will depend on what happens in the SEC title game.  Under your scenario if Bama wins the SEC title game, then I suspect that Miss. St. would be the 2nd SEC team along with FSU and whichever champion of the Pac 12, Big 12, and Big Ten is most deserving (Oregon is the clear front runner of that group).  If Bama loses the SEC title game then it would be very interesting, though I think the SEC still gets 2 teams in Georgia (assuming they beat Bama in the title game) and then either Alabama or Miss. St.
10/29/2014 3:35 PM (edited)
The most interesting would be GA over Bama with Oregon, TCU and MSU winning out.   2 loss Bama or 1 loss Miss St(that lost to Bama) over one of them?    That would create a volatile situation.
10/29/2014 3:44 PM
i really liked the first rankings. i think relying on eye test for any of your formula is a bad idea just because everyone sees a game differently. I'm glad bama and notre dame were't rewarded for doing nothing. also mikeT do you really think that bama can win out? they are constantly plagued by bad playcalling, a **** tone of turnovers and horrifying special teams and no matter how much talent you have that is tough to overcome. also auburn is the only team in the country who i think should be considered if they lose 2(unless everyone starts losing a lot) because they possible have the hardest schedule i've ever seen. i'm personally hoping that this year 1 sec team makes it, 1 big12, 1 pac12, and florida st(if undefeated) if they lose michigan st and if they lose then second sec team. once the sec wins this year then people can stop complaining and we can get 2 teams in
10/29/2014 8:57 PM

I've been yammering on about Bama having the best coach and the best athletes for about 15 pages.   Of course I think they can win out.   Sims gets better every week.  If Auburn had anything that resembled a defense, I'd have some doubts.    They don't.

10/29/2014 10:26 PM
◂ Prev 1...18|19|20|21|22...53 Next ▸
Weekly Top 10 Review Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.