Future HOF with only one team Topic

I really think Hernandez has a shot at it. He's locked up until 2019 with a team that isn't afraid to spend, he's got a great chance at winning a second Cy Young this year, he's been in the running for the Cy Young several times, and Greg Maddux is his #2 comparable through age 27.

His current 129 ERA+ puts him in the Greg Maddux/Bob Gibson/Curt Schilling/Tom Seaver range, though that will go down as he ages.

I also think his odds go up as more and more people understand the uselessness of the pitcher win stat.
7/17/2014 5:30 PM
Posted by 05nomar05 on 7/17/2014 3:53:00 PM (view original):
Of the young guys....I'd say Trout, Puig and Harper have shots.  All 3 play for big market teams.  So, should they have shots to do it.

Old guys....Todd Helton.  

If McCutchen stays in Pitt. 

Pedroia will stay in Boston.  He should make it.  He'll end up with +2000 hits with a ROY, MVP and a few GG's.

Homer analysis.  No way for Pedroia.

7/17/2014 5:57 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by The Taint on 7/17/2014 5:57:00 PM (view original):
Posted by 05nomar05 on 7/17/2014 3:53:00 PM (view original):
Of the young guys....I'd say Trout, Puig and Harper have shots.  All 3 play for big market teams.  So, should they have shots to do it.

Old guys....Todd Helton.  

If McCutchen stays in Pitt. 

Pedroia will stay in Boston.  He should make it.  He'll end up with +2000 hits with a ROY, MVP and a few GG's.

Homer analysis.  No way for Pedroia.

Multiple Gold Gloves, ROY, MVP, should end up somewhere around the 2500 hits.  His average WAR is 5.3.  

He'll make it and he'll be a Red Sox lifer.
7/17/2014 6:09 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
I don't know that he'll be a lifer and I'm not sure he gets a sniff of the HOF.    ROY and MVP puts him in the discussion but, as taint said, he's got a lot of work to do.   In this day and age, players don't get better in their 30s and this looks like his worst year.  

That's not even Sux hate speaking. 
7/17/2014 7:23 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/17/2014 4:34:00 PM (view original):
I don't see any of them finishing where they started.

I dismissed Helton/Tulo because of Coors Field.   There's a bias against numbers put up there.

McCuthchen staying in Pitt seems highly unlikely.

Helton retired last year so he doesn't fit with this analysis/discussion.  I don't understand the Coors Field bias.  Almost every ballpark built in the last 20 years favors offense.  Are HOF voters going to dismiss players stats from Texas, Houston, Cincinnati, and Philadelphia because those ballparks produce inflated numbers?
7/17/2014 7:47 PM
I don't make the rules but Larry Walker put up some sick numbers and peaked at 23%. 
7/17/2014 8:00 PM
Those other parks may inflate those stats a bit. Coors Field turns Vinny Castilla into an All-Star. Todd Helton won't sniff the Hall of Fame, nor should he. I'm a bit more sympathetic to Larry Walker as he could hit anywhere, but he was hurt all the time.

I'd say baseball is the hardest major sport to stay with one team. If your team cuts ties with you, and you have even a shred of talent left, you'll have a team that can find a spot for you, whether it be platoon batter or a situational pitcher. Also the sport allows you to play longer. NBA/NFL requires lots of running/jumping/contact which blows when you get older, plus in the NFL when you're 30, unless you are a kicker or QB teams want nothing to do with you.

MLB you get to stand around in the field or sit in the dugout for prolonged periods of time. Easier life.
7/17/2014 9:49 PM
The top 5 teams in order of homeruns in 2014 are:

1)  Blue Jays
2)  Orioles
3)  Rockies
4)  Astros
5)  Angels

Isn't it fair to say that the Rogers Centre turned Jose Bautista into an all-star?
7/18/2014 3:15 AM
2013 team leaders in homeruns hit:

1)  Red Sox
2)  Tigers
3)  Cardinals
4)  Athletics
5)  Orioles
6)  Indians
7)  Angels
8)  Rangers
9)  Blue Jays
10)  Rockies
7/18/2014 3:17 AM
I just looked at team homerun leaders each year since 2000 and it's either Red Sox, Yankees, Rangers, or White Sox at the top.  The Mariners led MLB in 2001 but that was an anomaly.

It doesn't seem like voters are holding inflated stats against Red Sox hitters, so why the major bias against Colorado Rockies?  Is it because Andres Galarraga won a batting title his first year there?
7/18/2014 3:28 AM (edited)
I'm not a regular follower of baseball anymore, but when did they make it where you had to hit homers to score runs?
7/18/2014 3:29 AM
Great point.  Coors inflates everything, not just HR.
7/18/2014 7:37 AM
Power hitters hit more homers.   Who says the Rockies have the most power hitters?   You have to look at what players did elsewhere and what they did in Coors.

The first guy I thought of:  http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/castivi02.shtml

Crushes at Coors, human when he leaves, returns and crushes at Coors at 36. 
7/18/2014 8:29 AM
◂ Prev 123
Future HOF with only one team Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.