The All-Jeter Game Topic

Discuss.
7/15/2014 7:36 PM
The possibility of a half inning completing with no mention of Jeter:   Off the board.
7/15/2014 7:38 PM
I like cheese.
7/15/2014 9:12 PM
13-27 as an All-Star.  Suck it, haters.
7/15/2014 9:21 PM
7/15/2014 9:49 PM
Too much Joe Buck!
7/15/2014 9:58 PM
Well he proved he belonged.
7/15/2014 10:11 PM
Of course he belonged, that's the way All Star games always have worked and really how they should work.  But there's no reason why the game, including weeks worth of leadup, had to be all about Jeter.  I thought it was BS when they did it for Ripken, and it's just as bad when they do it for Jeter.  It was nice that both of those guys had good games.  Maybe they got a little help from opposing pitchers, maybe not.  Seems more likely in the case of Ripken, when the game still didn't matter.  No matter what may or may not have been said at the time, I don't believe for an instant that Wainwright - playing on a likely postseason team - threw Jeter any real meatballs.  Regardless, the focus should be more heavily on the young guys who put on a show.  Jeter played well, Trout played better.  At least they gave Trout the MVP.
7/16/2014 3:04 AM
Wainwright should be suspended for life. switch spots with Pete Rose. Charley Hustle played to win. Woulda brushed Jeter off the friggin plate
7/16/2014 5:13 AM
I actually had to turn the game off early on. Commentary, between the constant Jeter love and just horrible color commentary by Harold Reynolds made it unenjoyable. Reynolds was speaking just to speak it seemed - half the things he said were straight up incorrect. And this was not just because it was Jeter - if they spent an hour discussing the accolades of Alfredo Simon I would have been just as disgusted. We're celebrating the best players in baseball, talk about them a little bit.
7/16/2014 7:45 AM
I'm actually very surprised they didn't give the MVP to Jeter.
7/16/2014 7:46 AM
And no mention of Tony Gwynn. Buck sucks. Nepotism rules
7/16/2014 7:48 AM
Posted by dahsdebater on 7/16/2014 3:04:00 AM (view original):
Of course he belonged, that's the way All Star games always have worked and really how they should work.  But there's no reason why the game, including weeks worth of leadup, had to be all about Jeter.  I thought it was BS when they did it for Ripken, and it's just as bad when they do it for Jeter.  It was nice that both of those guys had good games.  Maybe they got a little help from opposing pitchers, maybe not.  Seems more likely in the case of Ripken, when the game still didn't matter.  No matter what may or may not have been said at the time, I don't believe for an instant that Wainwright - playing on a likely postseason team - threw Jeter any real meatballs.  Regardless, the focus should be more heavily on the young guys who put on a show.  Jeter played well, Trout played better.  At least they gave Trout the MVP.
Why do you get to decide who the focus should have been on?

Like it or not, right or wrong, baseball has ALWAYS been about past accomplishments.  That's why people got their panties so wadded up when Maris topped Ruth(HE PLAYED MORE GAMES!!!!), when McGwire beat Maris(ROIDER!!!!) and when Bonds passed Aaron(MORE ROIDING!!!).  

I bust MLB's *** all the time for stepping on their own dick but, in this case, they had to highlight Jeter.   And Ripken.   And the next guy who plays his entire HOF career with one team.  There won't be many but, when they come along, MLB should do the same thing.   But, if they don't want to become the "League for Old Men", they need to figure out a way to move a Trout or a Puig to the forefront while waiting for the next Jeter/Ripken.   The demographics show that MLB is falling behind with younger fans.
7/16/2014 8:30 AM
I don't have a problem with them honoring Jeter. It was a nice moment. The all star game is for the fans and I think the majority of fans liked it. I think they should do things like this any time there's a very popular, future hall of famer retiring. I could see it being done for Pujols, especially if the game is in St. Louis, despite him leaving for LA in free agency.

I do have a problem with Harold Reynolds being a ******* retard. It's like Joe Morgan was his broadcast mentor.
7/16/2014 11:27 AM

Harold Reynolds is the only guy on earth that could make me wish Tim McCarver was back next to Joe Buck in the broadcast booth.

7/16/2014 1:30 PM
12 Next ▸
The All-Jeter Game Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.