SOTF: Winner Announced Topic

damn, so close.  a little better than my 5th place finish in the last one.

oh well, good luck you two!

11/9/2014 9:06 PM
21-0...my best friend is at this game, wish I would have gone too!
11/9/2014 9:16 PM
I learnedi could stream the game online for free. I wish I had not learned this.
11/9/2014 9:23 PM
28-0...I'm getting carpal tunnel...
11/9/2014 9:26 PM
I'm getting deeeeerunk. So now it's time to opst. Typing......now.
11/9/2014 9:30 PM
35-0!
11/9/2014 9:44 PM
Almost time for the packs to bring in the backups. That Rodgers to Nelson combo really worked well for me in fantasy this week.
11/9/2014 9:47 PM
The Saints doubled Jordy Nelson. The Bears going with the no-coverage approach. Bold strategy, Cotton.
11/9/2014 9:50 PM
First and foremost -- thanks to csudak for running the game. I haven't run one of these which is why I'm always shocked at the ingenuity that goes into it and what people come up with. But you usually do it with partners and -- with apologies to horvie and onside, who still haven't opened some of my game sitemails -- csudak largely had to go this one alone. To that end, we do all owe him at the least a hat tip -- he ran a heck of a fun challenge based game.

I wasn't sure how to attack this game. Challenges in these things have largely NOT been my strong suit and the social game has, so I was a little concerned when I joined. But I sort of was a challenge monkey for most of this game -- good enough to win a few and not get eliminated a lot which was more than enough to keep me alive. I also realized something EXTREMELY early on as well, and it was that the social game was actually going to be a pretty underrated aspect of this game....

...so I started to talk to everyone about it. Sitemails, posts in the forum, and I came up with "non-voting agreements." It was the realization that even if you didn't win the challenge, as long as you stayed out of the elimination challenges you couldn't go home. The willingness of some people to go there was somewhat surprising, but in the end, because of these agreements, staying out of the elimination challenges at all costs was the most important thing that I could have done and that I accomplished.

The biggest move I made was throwing my weight around to force a tie to avoid having steve voted out. I actually had a pretty solid agreement with dubs and he had asked me to help keep steve safe. It was an interesting vote, because I made a play on the revote where I got a commitment on my vote and one other away from steve -- and made it known that those votes were in. I couldn't believe that everyone else voting was so willing to let that vote stay tied, so we took ourselves all to the elimination challenge. I felt like that was the moment in the game where I made a make or break move -- I either hitched to the wrong group of guys with dubs and steve or had allies I could take to the end of the game. In the end, it was that move, and that proof of loyalty -- that got me here.

My biggest regret is not getting dubs further, honestly. Steve and I had to scramble a little more there than I think either of us would have liked after that point, but it worked out ok.

Looking forward to any questions. Thanks to everyone who played. This was, as always, a blast to play.
11/9/2014 9:51 PM
Man. I think the Bears coaching staff is drunker than I am based on this play calling....
11/9/2014 9:53 PM
Posted by stevedotdec on 11/9/2014 9:50:00 PM (view original):
The Saints doubled Jordy Nelson. The Bears going with the no-coverage approach. Bold strategy, Cotton.
Got my vote for funniest quote of the year
11/9/2014 9:54 PM
Posted by nyaggie98 on 11/9/2014 9:54:00 PM (view original):
Posted by stevedotdec on 11/9/2014 9:50:00 PM (view original):
Got my vote for funniest quote of the year
Heh, I can't take credit tho.  It was a tweet from Jason Wilde who writes for ESPN Wisconsin.  I'll work on my speech at halftime.
11/9/2014 9:57 PM
42-0 by the way
11/9/2014 10:10 PM
So bad. So bad.
11/9/2014 10:26 PM
Like Trop, I want to start out by thanking Casey/onside/horvie for running the game.  I didn't get to play the last couple of forum games, as I've been helping host them.  As a co-host, I understand how difficult it is to continually come up with interesting and thought-provoking challenges, and I think these guys did a great job of that, I had a lot of fun researching them. As a fan of MTV's The Challenge, I wanted to give this one a shot, as it seemed like Casey based it off the latest version, Free Agents.

I've wanted to team up with polabonez and dubs for a while in one of these games, and finally had that chance here, tho with players being eliminated by challenges rather than votes, having a strong alliance was less important than normal.  Unfortunately polabonez and dubs both got knocked out pretty early.  Luckily trop and I agreed to work together right about the time dubs went out.

It actually got pretty frustrating at that point, as we kept approaching people to add a 3rd vote, to try and have majorities for voting people into elims, as soon as we'd get someone to join us, they'd lose an elim and we'd have to ask someone else.  primetime, gmc_sierra, amorak, nyaggie, freaking every time we'd agree to work together, they would go out on like the very next challenge!

We both realized pretty early, that the key to the game was that you can't get voted out if you aren't even in an elimination challenge.  And we did a very good job down the stretch, steering the votes away from each other.  Just about every vote I was a part of, I was able to throw a name out first and get others to follow suit.

With that said, the challenges mattered more in this competition than any of the others in our forum games, and I think I either won, or was part of the winning team, more than anyone else.  Out of all the elimination challenges in the game, I was only a part of one of them (very early on) and I crushed that one.  Plus, I won what I think are the two most important challenges of the game, at Final Three, part one and part three. 

Between heading up the alliance that controlled just about every vote from the beginning of the game, and my performance in the challenges throughout the season, I hope I've earned your vote to win.

A couple other things, I got crushed by the golf challenge early in the season.  I filled half a notebook making spreadsheets from researching that one challenge.  I was really down after that, but came back and won that elimination challenge (again, the only one I had to do the entire season) going away.

I'm also disappointed that I didn't figure out any of the Power Plays.  I really like the "idol" searches, and I'm frustrated that I couldn't find any of them this time.  Did anyone find one?

In closing, thanks again to the hosts for a really fun game.  Thanks to trop for being a great partner and staying loyal to the end.  I always preach in these games, that you can make promises and keep your word to the end and still get to the end, and we proved it.

Also, props to thebish for getting so far in the game.  Early on, based on the voting, it looked like he was targeting me, so I did everything I could to get him out.  He survived something like 6 or 7 elimination challenges!  Gotta respect that, making it all the way to final three.

With that, I'll be glad to answer any questions you guys might have.

P.S.  Trop is a Bears fan...you can't really vote for someone like that can you?

11/9/2014 10:30 PM
◂ Prev 1...48|49|50|51|52 Next ▸
SOTF: Winner Announced Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.