New Sky is Falling Thread Topic

Posted by MikeT23 on 4/24/2014 12:36:00 PM (view original):
Not sure how that solves the problem but congrats on tooting your own horn.
To solve a problem, you need to cure the cause, not the result.

At this point in time, you can divide HBD leagues into 3 sections
-public
-private, poorly run
-private, well run

Virtually no one's first HBD experience since probably 2010 falls into the latter. It will fall into the first two. If you are lucky, you catch a good public world or a private world poorly run, but with good owners that can guide you anyway. You probably won't.

To me, if you are in latter, you are running out of people that qualify for your league, because they are not getting a positive experience from the former. So, to me, there is a need to have good HBD people running leagues where newbs can have a positive experience, and move on/graduate/whatever to want to call it to that "elite" level.

4/24/2014 1:42 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/24/2014 12:42:00 PM (view original):
Part of the problem is that it's a niche' market.   Everyone here, excluding me, is somewhat nerdly.    Nerds and sport-based games aren't that compatible.  Throw in the fact that nerds like to figure something out quickly and move on only makes it worse.  Either they figure it out and move on or don't figure it out quickly and get frustrated.    I've never been a "CONTRACT THOSE CRAPPY WORLDS" guy because I think that just further dilutes the customer base.   I'd be ****** if WifS said "MikeT23, we've decided that users can only commish one league.  Which one are you dropping?" so there's no reason to believe anyone would be happy if WifS told them they were shutting down a world they've been in since 2009.   But, that said, someone needs to figure out how to shave 20 worlds off the list WITHOUT alienating customers.   So here we are.  Someone figure it out.

GO!!!!
This addresses your "solution".

Simply put, 176 worlds, 32 owners each.   Assuming the "average" owner has 3 teams, there are just under 1900 people playing this game.  IN THE WORLD.  There aren't thousands, or even hundreds, out there thinking "Man, if I could only find a sim site where you run an entire baseball organization, my life would be complete."    Expanding the customer base is not easily accomplished. 
4/24/2014 1:54 PM
I get that.

If there was data on the 1-10 leagues and done crowd, I'd be willing to bet that the ratio that sticks past 10 leagues today is less than the ratio that stuck back in 2006.
I don't think it's lack of updates. It's a game that doesn't require upgraded graphics, or improved interface (much), etc that action games need.

In 2006, we all learned together. In 2014, you are learning behind people that have played for years UNLESS there was a way to group you all together.

The object isn't to grow from 1900 to 10000, because I agree that critical mass is somewhere between that, probably far closer to 1900. But what you don't want is significant erosion of the 1900, which means you need a method of replacing old for new to at least maintain that 1900.

Because there is a number where Fox says "**** this ****, pull the plug"
4/24/2014 2:06 PM
High Fives has 12 openings.   Of those 12 that didn't renew, only one was a one and done owner.   He's still playing GD so he was trying out HBD.   Another played 2 seasons(and one SLB) with nothing active now.   Maybe HF ruined them.   Or maybe they just weren't interested in the game.    The other ten were long-time owners.    I think you're putting too much on "horrible experience" and not enough on "just not interested". 
4/24/2014 2:17 PM
I'll use my one season of GD as an example.   Nothing "bad" happened.    I won at a .733 clip.   And played one season.   Recruiting 22 players wasn't something I wanted to do.  Just gimme a goddam left guard and play the game.
4/24/2014 2:55 PM
We have two confirmed openings in Sweet Lou for season 10..  The world is awesome.. We will probably roll in 10-15 days.. If you're reading this you should join.. 
4/24/2014 3:52 PM
I dismiss Sweet Lou after 4 words.   "We are just enterint the playoffs...."   My reasoning is "If the commish doesn't care to spell easy words properly, how effective will he be as a commish?"

4/24/2014 3:57 PM
hater!
4/24/2014 4:19 PM
Remember when we chased him out of Cooperstown?
4/24/2014 4:19 PM
Did we make him leave because he couldn't spell simple words?
4/24/2014 4:23 PM
I believe it was season 2, he was getting destroyed and didn't want it to mess up his stellar overall record.
4/24/2014 4:32 PM
Regardless, what I said earlier was correct, and should be taken to heart. For the good of mankind.
4/24/2014 4:35 PM
If you're still pushing for n00b training ground worlds, I think that's a massive fail. 

1. It would require WifS to create something.    My math tells me they make around 200k per year on HBD before expenses.  Developing another program to train owners seems pointless given #2.
2. I don't think you fill a world with new owners in a month.  Introducing new owners to the game by making them wait 3-5 weeks seems a bit counterproductive.

Again, I don't think there are that many people clamoring to play a game like HBD.   You can't find what doesn't exist.
4/24/2014 4:51 PM
Posted by deathinahole on 4/24/2014 4:35:00 PM (view original):
Regardless, what I said earlier was correct, and should be taken to heart. For the good of mankind.
You dumbazz.. I was there in season 24/25.. I left because taking on the extra team was tougher to manage then I anticipated.. I actually enjoyed the world for the short time that I was there.. 
4/24/2014 4:57 PM
Pretty sure you were there for S23 only.   If only there was a way to check these things...........
4/24/2014 5:00 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
New Sky is Falling Thread Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.