Recruiting Question Topic

Posted by ettaexpress on 4/25/2014 4:59:00 PM (view original):
Posted by killbatman on 4/25/2014 2:48:00 PM (view original):
Posted by ettaexpress on 4/25/2014 2:43:00 PM (view original):
Posted by killbatman on 4/25/2014 2:33:00 PM (view original):
Posted by ettaexpress on 4/25/2014 2:33:00 PM (view original):
If so that would be horrible game design. Players don't commit to divisions, players commit to schools, and often times, coaches.
Please explain without using real life basketball why that would be horrible game design.  Seems like an interesting strategic element to me.
Your premise is invalid.

Why the hell would you want something incorporated into the game that can't be explained or related to real life basketball? I mean that's just stupid.
See this is part of why people are 'mean' to you.  People ask you over and over and over again to stop comparing it to real life basketball.  We get it.  We even agree with you, HD <> real life basketball.  Please stop making those comparisons and using words like "broken" and "dumb" when you point out for the 8000th time that HD <> real life basketball.  All it does is irritate people and I think you know this.
Why would you ask me to stop comparing it? It's intended to be a simulation OF real life basketball! Why the hell would you NOT want that comparison? Why would you NOT regard any unnecessary divergence as exactly what I call it? Why would this irritate someone that want to play a good simulation?

I wonder if the Air Force says to their pilots, "of course it's not real, it's a simulation, why should it be like the real thing?" Do you now understand how completely stupid that logic is? That kind of thinking is what leads to a deeply flawed sim.
The reason I asked you to stop is completely obvious and stated clearly in my last sentence in the post you replied to.  Regardless of however much you might be right about that, your delivery ruins any point you might have and contributes to people 'attacking' you.

Furthermore, your premise in invalid.  This is an internet game for entertainment value, not an Air Force flight simulator.  That's just an awful comparison.  Is this sim supposed to train us to be real life basketball coaches??  This is an internet game for entertainment purposes, intended to attract paying customers.  It's not intended to perfectly simulate real life.
4/25/2014 5:48 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Etta, firstly, you and your "delivery" are not the only one to blame for the derailing this thread, however, I don't think it's a coincidence that this ship started taking on water almost immediately after you turned to dark side and  accused others of attempting to sabotage your program by poaching and/or battling you for recruits.

Secondly, veteran coaches aren't involved in some conspiracy to stop all improvements to the sim because they have inside information about the current engine. In fact, many of us want changes very very badly, but at the end of the day it's still not going to (and will never) accurately reflect real life...which is why your endless criticisms seem misguided and at worst disingenuous.
4/25/2014 8:14 PM
I will not be responding to you again, because it's pretty obvious you're being disingenuous.  Have fun arguing about flight simulators.
4/25/2014 8:28 PM
OH MY GOSH!!! Seriously dude?!  This is just ridiculous at this point.  I hope you don't really play for Marietta because I know Coach VanderWal doesn't recruit or would he put up with somebody who complains so much!

I thought I was good at this game when I played 4ish years ago.  I was decent at video games and thought I'd just roll over people here.  It's not like that.  It's much more complex and I was humbled.  Now, after I picked it back up, I started reading the forums... Reading the guides... Trial and error.... and asking questions!  Every question I have asked there has been several coaches more than willing to share THEIR opinion.  None of these guys are saying they are... what did you say... "gods" at this game.  But, they have figured out things pretty well and and are taking time out of THEIR day to try and help you!!

Now, when like 15 guys give you the same answer, it is probably pretty close to being true.  Just swallow your pride and admit that you probably did something wrong.  And I bet even then, after all your crying... Some coaches would STILL be willing to help you.  This game isn't easy, I found that out the hard way.  But don't make it not fun for yourself by constantly thinking something or someone is out to get you.  I think every coach that has been here for 3+ years has had a lot of fun along the way.  All any of them want is for you to have the same enjoyment out of this game.

Having said that.... coaches....  Thank you so much for always helping answer my question and not hesitating to lend a helping hand or word.  Appreciated.
4/25/2014 8:52 PM
Posted by killbatman on 4/25/2014 8:28:00 PM (view original):
I will not be responding to you again, because it's pretty obvious you're being disingenuous.  Have fun arguing about flight simulators.
Not at all. I'm being completely straightforward and obvious. It's the warped nature of the game and the bizarre minority following it has here that renders some, including apparently you, unable to understand what would otherwise be a very evident flaw of reasoning.

Not even wanting a sim to resemble real life, and trying to stave off efforts to make it moreso, is truly a wildly distorted viewpoint.
4/25/2014 8:59 PM
Posted by ettaexpress on 4/25/2014 9:09:00 PM (view original):
Posted by jaymc2007 on 4/25/2014 8:52:00 PM (view original):
OH MY GOSH!!! Seriously dude?!  This is just ridiculous at this point.  I hope you don't really play for Marietta because I know Coach VanderWal doesn't recruit or would he put up with somebody who complains so much!

I thought I was good at this game when I played 4ish years ago.  I was decent at video games and thought I'd just roll over people here.  It's not like that.  It's much more complex and I was humbled.  Now, after I picked it back up, I started reading the forums... Reading the guides... Trial and error.... and asking questions!  Every question I have asked there has been several coaches more than willing to share THEIR opinion.  None of these guys are saying they are... what did you say... "gods" at this game.  But, they have figured out things pretty well and and are taking time out of THEIR day to try and help you!!

Now, when like 15 guys give you the same answer, it is probably pretty close to being true.  Just swallow your pride and admit that you probably did something wrong.  And I bet even then, after all your crying... Some coaches would STILL be willing to help you.  This game isn't easy, I found that out the hard way.  But don't make it not fun for yourself by constantly thinking something or someone is out to get you.  I think every coach that has been here for 3+ years has had a lot of fun along the way.  All any of them want is for you to have the same enjoyment out of this game.

Having said that.... coaches....  Thank you so much for always helping answer my question and not hesitating to lend a helping hand or word.  Appreciated.
Screw you buddy. Obviously you don't give a crap about whether I'm an alum so I'm not going to either. I hope you're not out there telling people you graduated from Marietta when you can barely formulate a proper sentence. 

The only thing I did wrong was believe that something posted on this board was true that wasn't. Posted by one of those coaches you lionize. Problem with your logic on the "15 guys giving the same answer" is that it's very possible that the same answer originated from one of them and was passed along through the group from there. Groupthink is a huge problem in settings such as this, which is why people like are both necessary and often uncomfortable to have involved, but that's how real change comes -- from new ideas, from people connected to other networks of knowledge, not from people taking turns passing around the same information.

How many coaches were here less than 3 years, didn't have fun, and left because the game was not very good? A lot, I bet. 

You know what makes it not fun for me? That it's so far removed from reality. And if you really played at Marietta, you should know and appreciate that. I'm not so desperate to be good at something that I'm willing to distort my view of the sport I love to fit some terrible sim. Maybe you are, in which case I hope you are able to do more with your degree in the future. 
A) my goal is not to complete sentences in a forum... this is just you again trying to pick a fight with something that is irrelevant.
B) maybe you are right with the "groupthink" but the fact remains that those coaches are winning.  If you think it can be done better then prove it!  I promise I will be the first one to jump on your bandwagon and asking how you did it!!
C) I love basketball with all my heart.  But I am not so invested in this simulation game that I am going to hate it or hate basketball if it is not "exactly" like real life!
4/25/2014 9:18 PM
I never said I hope you didn't attend MC?  I said I hope you don't play ball because I doubt Coach VanderWal would put up with somebody who complains so much... Meaning you'd be running all the time because he wouldn't put up with it.  Again, stop thinking that everybody is just out to get you!  
4/25/2014 9:33 PM
If you are talking about Coach Foote, he wouldn't have put up with it either!  If you are talking about before Coach Foote, you are really way too old to be complaining this much!  (Not that the age of 18+ isn't old enough anyway).  Regardless, as I said... if you really think there is a better way then do it!! I will be the first one to say congrats!! But since you haven't found that way out yet, I'm just saying maybe these coaches who are winning do know how to win a little better than you do, as of right now anyway.
4/25/2014 9:53 PM
I can't wait to see the posts when she loses a battle to a d3 school.
4/25/2014 9:53 PM
Posted by jaymc2007 on 4/25/2014 9:53:00 PM (view original):
If you are talking about Coach Foote, he wouldn't have put up with it either!  If you are talking about before Coach Foote, you are really way too old to be complaining this much!  (Not that the age of 18+ isn't old enough anyway).  Regardless, as I said... if you really think there is a better way then do it!! I will be the first one to say congrats!! But since you haven't found that way out yet, I'm just saying maybe these coaches who are winning do know how to win a little better than you do, as of right now anyway.
Oh for goodness' sakes. Did Coach Foote ever win a championship? I did know Doug, and generally liked and had sympathy for some of the problems he dealt with. But he never came close to winning a piece of bronze and walnut.

If things aren't as they should be, then there's no reason not to speak up and try to make them better, and to a have a vision of how they can be better. I won't apologize for that. 

I don't give a crap about winning if it's going to force me to do unnatural things that distort the game. It makes more sense to me for people to push to see the game improved so those kinds of twisting of logic and game sense aren't necessary. I'm not out to crack the code to find a better way to win. I'm out to improve the code to make it so that strategies are more transparent and it's the execution of them that matters, not amassing secret knowledge by talking to the right people (and hoping they give you the right information, because as I said that hasn't always been my experience even with veterans, whether thye intentionally gave false information or not).

I don't see where there should be an age limit on innovation.
4/25/2014 10:01 PM
◂ Prev 1...12|13|14|15 Next ▸
Recruiting Question Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.