Since I play in a league in D1 by myself I had to post the stats of one of my players who was named the D1 player of the year. Interesting that he only started 7 games his senior season for my 27-3 team at Cal Poly. (Smith)

Anthony Spiegel
SG | Senior | 6'3" | 194 lbs. | 3.3 gpa
Skyline HS Salt Lake City, UT | Recruited By: dskadoris (#64 SG)

Senior season 71 30 7 24.2 .488 .464 .792 1.5 4.1 1.7 2.1 1.5 0.2 2.3 20.5

National Awards

Player of the Year once

1st Team All-American once

3/17/2014 5:23 PM
He'd be a good guy to have on a strong D2 team.
3/17/2014 5:51 PM
I agree girt. He couldn't even make my starting lineup. But he was a killer that 2nd team I had. We led the country in scoring.
3/17/2014 9:41 PM
You played nobody all season ... there are scores of players who you could simply load up on distro and accomplish that with the schedule that was played. It's not a reflection that he's good, just that he had a ton of distro against terrible competition. He wins the "Tallest Midget" award.
3/18/2014 7:24 AM
He wouldn't be the 1st D1 POY(smith)that didn't get drafted.
3/18/2014 10:36 AM
As a guy who went to Cal Poly SLO in RL, it's good to see a POY come out of there.  Even if it only happens in fantasy sports.....
3/18/2014 2:09 PM
Posted by girt25 on 3/18/2014 7:24:00 AM (view original):
You played nobody all season ... there are scores of players who you could simply load up on distro and accomplish that with the schedule that was played. It's not a reflection that he's good, just that he had a ton of distro against terrible competition. He wins the "Tallest Midget" award.
problem is that I didn't load up on him and he didn't play any more minutes than usual. You have played with sim as much as I have and you know you know the sim doesn't allow you to manipulate it. You sound angry girt. What's your problem? And his distribution wasn't "loaded' up on as I had many players score a lot of points. And I cannot help that my conference is not strong. You play conference games with what they bring you.
3/18/2014 2:32 PM
we also played 5 BCS schools in the non-conference girt and won 4. I tried to schedule some acceptable teams....did enough to get into the NT and that is not bad.
3/18/2014 2:36 PM
Posted by austinpeevey on 3/18/2014 2:33:00 PM (view original):
Posted by girt25 on 3/18/2014 7:24:00 AM (view original):
problem is that I didn't load up on him and he didn't play any more minutes than usual. You have played with sim as much as I have and you know you know the sim doesn't allow you to manipulate it. You sound angry girt. What's your problem? And his distribution wasn't "loaded' up on as I had many players score a lot of points. And I cannot help that my conference is not strong. You play conference games with what they bring you.
im not arguing with your original premise austin, but to say to girt "you know the sim doesn't allow you to manipulate it" is fairly ridiculous :) of course the sim allows you to manipulate it, and girt knows this as well as anybody.

i don't think he is upset either, just saying a player playing against that kind of schedule scoring that much is not really a story. he doesn't find it interesting - while you do - i think that is perfectly reasonable. congrats on the POY award.
3/18/2014 2:37 PM
^^^^^
This -- what he said.

Sorry if I came off as overly antagonistic. It just struck me that you were bragging about something silly, but maybe that wasn't your intent.
3/18/2014 2:59 PM
I don't think you can manipulate players on bad teams to get awards.
3/18/2014 3:20 PM
Posted by dskadoris on 3/18/2014 3:20:00 PM (view original):
you absolutely can, frankly, thats how it works by default...
3/18/2014 4:28 PM
Posted by gillispie1 on 3/18/2014 4:28:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dskadoris on 3/18/2014 3:20:00 PM (view original):
you absolutely can, frankly, thats how it works by default...
Much moreso than in the past. Before if you didn't have a team that was at least close to the top 25 you could forget about getting any awards. I had a guy lead the nation in scoring back to back seasons while being fairly effecient at WVU and he was never even AA 3rd team because I crapped the bed in recruiting back to back seasons and I sucked. http://whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerHistory/Default.aspx?pid=1967822
3/18/2014 4:49 PM
even though I don't have a dog in this fight gilspie1 tell me how you can? I have had players that scored 30 ppg and on medicore teams that led the country in scoring and never sniffed anything past an HM in the conference. And they were highly rated players.
3/18/2014 5:59 PM
I'd say this is a fairly good example.  That Cal Poly team isn't bad for a low-major, but it is by no means a strong team.  And the player is weak.  Not starting worked in his favor, as did the schedule.

The player in question probably wouldn't start for my D3 Methodist team.  And he won D1 NPOY.  Partly that's because the criteria for picking the awards are inevitably flawed.  But largely it's because the guy was put in a situation where it would be easy for him to succeed.
3/18/2014 6:09 PM
12 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.