Global Warming Complete Myth. End of Story Topic

Volcanic eruptions ‘contributed to global warming pause’, scientists claim

The impact of volcanic eruptions on global warming could provide a new explanation for the so-called “pause” used by sceptics to deny climate change is happening, scientists have said.

According to a study in the US, models for predicting the rate at which temperatures around the world would rise from 1998 onwards did not take into consideration the measurable impact volcanoes can have.

Rather than contributing to global warming, eruptions release particles into the air that reflect sunlight – causing temperatures to drop.

Experts from the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in California said this phenomenon was not taken into account when predictions were made – offering an explanation for why the world seemed to stop heating up.

“We show that climate model simulations without the effects of early 21st century volcanic eruptions overestimate the tropospheric warming observed since 1998,” wrote Dr Benjamin Santer in the journal Nature Geoscience.

“To reduce these uncertainties, better observations of eruption-specific properties of volcanic aerosols are needed, as well as improved representation of these eruption-specific properties in climate model simulations.”

Powerful volcanic eruptions send small sulphur droplets, or aerosols, high into the atmosphere where they act as a mirror to reflect the sun's rays and prevent them warming the ground.

In 1991, the second largest volcanic eruption of the 20th century occurred when Mount Pinatubo in the Philippines exploded with enormous force, killing almost 1,000 people and causing widespread damage.

Millions of tonnes of ash and gas were blasted into the atmosphere from the mountain, reaching an altitude of 21 miles.

Over the next two years, average temperatures across the whole of the Earth fell by up to 0.5C.

The research showed that Mount Pinatubo and the earlier major eruption of El Chichon in Mexico in 1982 “had important impacts on decadal changes in warming rates”.

In addition, 17 “small” eruptions occurred after 1999 which had a cumulative effect increasing the reflective effect of aerosols in the upper atmosphere by up to 7% per year from 2000 to 2009.

Scientists have provided a number of explanations in recent years as to why the apparent global warming “pause” came about, including natural climate variability to failures in accurate surface temperature measurement.

British climate expert Professor Piers Forster, from the University of Leeds, said: “Volcanoes give us only a temporary respite from the relentless warming pressure of continued increases in CO2.”

2/24/2014 7:50 AM
So my little car putting its carbon has more impact than a giant volcano's.

...and they say the Bible contradicts itself.
2/24/2014 7:54 AM
  We're headed into a 30 year deep freeze.  It has started. There will be no more warm for awhile.  Perhaps for the rest of your life.  It's cold from here on out.  Late springs, cool summers and early falls.  We have the data to support this.  A pattern has emerged.  I think we owe the global flat earth warmers for this.  Until they fudged the numbers and tried for an over reach in taxation and control, many of us were unaware.  It was the global warming liars who brought this to our attention. 

And isn't it funny they now clamor for immediate taxation and control world wide while we slip into the possibility of another mini Ice age.  Certainly a decades long cold spell. No warming in 17 years.  No ocean rise in 10.  They have receded.  Ice is the thickest in recorded history.  Ocean cooling for the last seven years.  Where's the Keystone pipeline when you need it?  

This is unlike the warnings you heard from the global warmers in the 70's 80's 90's and the first decade of this century.  Every ten years they promised all the fish in the ocean would be dead.  Every ten years they promise starvation.  Every ten years they promise apocalypse.  

Well it's here.  And it ain't frying' up.  It's gonna get damn nasty cold.  And you don't have to wait ten years for this one.  It's in your face.
2/24/2014 3:41 PM (edited)
2/24/2014 3:00 PM
I love Al Gore saying that the Great Plains will turn into a dust bowl because of global warming, where in fact, it will from raising too much corn/grains for ethanol.
2/24/2014 4:14 PM
Flat Earth society, anybody?
2/24/2014 5:42 PM
I sure hope Raucous doesn't breed. 
2/25/2014 2:13 AM
If I am too dumb, then explain it to me. 

Volcanoes are the number one cause of "greenhouse gases", yet when they go off it pauses the effects of greenhouse gas?

Instead of tossing out insults like cave men, explain why I am wrong and why I should be buying Al Gore's snake oil?

He is just a lying politician, just like every other politician in this country.  If you don't believe that, you shouldn't be breeding.
2/25/2014 5:30 AM

NOAA: January 2014 Was 4th Warmest on Record

Globally, Earth had its fourth warmest January this year since modern temperature record-keeping began in 1880, according to a report released Thursday by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

In January, the global average temperature – the combined temperature of both land and ocean surfaces – was 54.8°F, or about 1.17°F above the 20th century average of 53.6°F.

At the same time, if you ask anyone living in the eastern half of the United States, they’re likely to tell you this winter has been brutal. This was particularly true in January, when temperatures dipped below -40°F in International Falls, Minn., and many parts of the Deep South reached the single digits.

In a warming world, how can it be so bitterly cold?

Deke Arndt, a scientist at the National Climatic Data Center explains, “We see more evidence that we will continue to have cold air outbreaks as the climate continues to warm. Cold air outbreaks, like the type we saw in January, over time, have become statistically more uncommon.”

Even though it was generally colder than average east of the Continental Divide and in parts of Siberia, it was warmer than average elsewhere.

Take Alaska for example. The Last Frontier is normally frigid this time of year, but looking at the map it’s clear that temperatures were well above average for January.

January's average monthly high temperature for Fairbanks, Alaska is 1.1°F. But the average January high temperature in Fairbanks this year was much higher, at 16.4°F. At one point, the afternoon high temperature in Fairbanks hit 45°F, which was a tie for its sixth warmest January day on record.

But warming isn’t only evident in Alaska. It was also recorded in South America, Africa, Europe, the Indian Ocean, central Asia, Australia and the western Pacific.

This latest report also makes January 2014 the ninth consecutive time that a month has ranked among the 10 highest for its respective month. It's also the 347th time that a month has been above the 20th century global average temperature. 

Given this warmth, some may wonder: What’s ahead for the coming months?

Climate Prediction Center meteorologist Dan Collins says temperatures will potentially be above average from the Pacific Northwest to the Desert Southwest, all the way over to Florida, over the next three months. Alaska is also expected to remain warmer than average through March, April and May.

2/25/2014 9:41 AM
The hottest years on record are all in the last 10 years. Ice at the north pole in rapid decline. Don't be a retard. If science can't convince you, you . Don't . Deserve to have an opinion.
2/25/2014 3:13 PM
opinions are like ********.

everybody is one
2/25/2014 3:51 PM
NOAA: (National Occsid ******* Alert)  JANUARY WAS THE FOURTH WARMEST ON RECORD!  I'M NOT KIDDING!

Globally the earth is somewhat round. This is like the hottest January almost eVar.  It's so stinking hot.

The average temperature in January is cold.  Some places it was colder and at other places it wasn't quite as cold.  Some other places were just about as cold as it was last year.  Some places get warmer then colder again. Other places get colder then warmer again.  Some places are pretty much the same all year long.  Like my bedroom.

In a cooling world, how can it be so bitterly warm?  Wait.  That's an ******* alert right there.  I quit right here.  If you asks me why a cooling world can be so warming or how a WARMING WORLD CAN BE SO BITTERLY COLD, then obviously you haven't a clue.  What a stupid *** question.  Who reads this ****?  Better yet, who writes it.

I guess Deke Arndt, a scientist, is up to his old tricks.  Old Deke.  First he says it's warming because it's colder then he says  they will become more uncommon.  Does anybody read what they post anymore?  Is this a joke?  What's the source for this story anyways?  Who's spewin' this crap?

I like how he points out it's warming in Alaska, South America, Africa, Europe, the Indian Ocean, Central Asia,  Australia and the western Pacific.  EVERYWHERE BUT HERE!  IT'S HOT ALL AROUND YOU AND YOU'RE TOO STUPD TO KNOW IT!

Maybe we should get Geke a computer.  With a weather app. 

He was right about one thing though.  It's gonna be warm in Florida for the next three months.
2/25/2014 7:09 PM
I thought the Great Plains already were a dust bowl?
2/25/2014 7:12 PM
Posted by leppykahn on 2/25/2014 3:13:00 PM (view original):
The hottest years on record are all in the last 10 years. Ice at the north pole in rapid decline. Don't be a retard. If science can't convince you, you . Don't . Deserve to have an opinion.
...and the ice at the south pole is in rapid increase.  What is your point?

You just are not smart enough to take all of the data.  I feel for you.

2/25/2014 8:57 PM
I am just not arrogant enough to think all people's cars tosses out more greenhouse gasses than all volcanoes. 

We need to put corks in all volcanoes!!!!

2/25/2014 8:59 PM
1|2|3...8 Next ▸
Global Warming Complete Myth. End of Story Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.