Derek Jeter's Last Stand Topic

Posted by MikeT23 on 3/11/2014 5:00:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 3/11/2014 4:56:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/11/2014 4:45:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 3/11/2014 10:26:00 AM (view original):
And that's 60 exit speed, not when it gets to you.
This wasn't you?
Yeah, that was me. I wasn't aware that you were standing 300 feet away from the plate. No wonder the ball only hit you in the chest and not the face.
Didn't we already determine that exit speeds have nothing to do with ground ball/fly ball?   Or are you running around that dumbass merry-go-round again?
Are you saying that because someone is capable of hitting a softball 300 feet, that all (or most) of their ground balls will have an exit speed of 90 mph?

I don't think we determined that "exit speeds have nothing to do with GB/FB." We determined that the peak exit speeds of major league hitters were the same for GB and FB. The average speeds are vastly different because most ground balls are moving slower than fly balls.
3/11/2014 5:18 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 3/11/2014 5:18:00 PM (view original):
This wasn't you?
Yeah, that was me. I wasn't aware that you were standing 300 feet away from the plate. No wonder the ball only hit you in the chest and not the face.
Didn't we already determine that exit speeds have nothing to do with ground ball/fly ball?   Or are you running around that dumbass merry-go-round again?
Are you saying that because someone is capable of hitting a softball 300 feet, that all (or most) of their ground balls will have an exit speed of 90 mph?

I don't think we determined that "exit speeds have nothing to do with GB/FB." We determined that the peak exit speeds of major league hitters were the same for GB and FB. The average speeds are vastly different because most ground balls are moving slower than fly balls.
No, I'm saying that some will have an exit speed in excess of 90 MPH.    Another thing we went thru.   A squarely hit ball isn't exiting the bat based on the angle of the swing(up, down, level), it's exiting the bat based on the contact points of bat/ball.   Do you disagree?

Average exit speeds of ground balls are slower because virtually no one swings down on a ball in MLB.   I'd argue that's not true in slow pitch softball.  Do you disagree?
3/11/2014 5:29 PM
I think you mean virtually everyone swings down on the ball in MLB?
3/11/2014 5:36 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/11/2014 5:29:00 PM (view original):
This wasn't you?

No, I'm saying that some will have an exit speed in excess of 90 MPH.    Another thing we went thru.   A squarely hit ball isn't exiting the bat based on the angle of the swing(up, down, level), it's exiting the bat based on the contact points of bat/ball.   Do you disagree?

Average exit speeds of ground balls are slower because virtually no one swings down on a ball in MLB.   I'd argue that's not true in slow pitch softball.  Do you disagree?
Yeah, but even if you swing down on a ball in softball, you aren't going to generate anywhere near the bat speed and leverage necessary to hit a ball 90 mph. Only a really strong, well-timed rotational swing is going to generate that kind of power.

Link a youtube video if you think it's possible.
3/11/2014 5:45 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 3/11/2014 5:36:00 PM (view original):
Don't think he does.

3/11/2014 5:46 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 3/11/2014 5:36:00 PM (view original):
No.  Because they don't.   Ever watch baseball?
3/12/2014 8:18 AM
Posted by bad_luck on 3/11/2014 5:45:00 PM (view original):
This wasn't you?

Yeah, but even if you swing down on a ball in softball, you aren't going to generate anywhere near the bat speed and leverage necessary to hit a ball 90 mph. Only a really strong, well-timed rotational swing is going to generate that kind of power.

I'm not talking about a tree-chopping motion that comes from over your head and finishes below your knees. 

A slight swing down to generate a well-hit GB is really easy in softball.  
3/12/2014 8:22 AM
Honestly, I'm a bit surprised by your lack of understanding the physics of hitting a ball.   You say you play but, starting with "GB do not have the same exit speed" comment, it seems like the game is foreign to you.   Like you're reading it from a book or a stat sheet. 
3/12/2014 8:37 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/12/2014 8:22:00 AM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 3/11/2014 5:45:00 PM (view original):
This wasn't you?

I'm not talking about a tree-chopping motion that comes from over your head and finishes below your knees. 

A slight swing down to generate a well-hit GB is really easy in softball.  
I promise you that no one in your rec softball league is hitting 90 mph ground balls.

I don't think you understand how incredibly fast 90 mph is.
3/12/2014 9:57 AM
Look, dumbass, I've not said anyone has.  Perhaps you can quote that post. 

Beyond that line of dumbassery:
You've agreed that a ball must exit the bat in excess of 90 MPH in order to travel 300+ ft. 
You've agreed that it can exit the bat in excess of 90 MPH even if it's a groundball.
I've said "Do the math on a groundball that leaves the bat at 90+ MPH, bounces twice while traveling 65 ft and tell me how fast it is going." 
You've said "I can't."

So WTF are you still arguing about?
3/12/2014 10:50 AM
Seriously, it's like you don't understand the game.    You don't have to start at the knees and finish over your head to create an upswing or over your head and below your knees for a downswing.    It's fractions of inches to change the trajectory of a batted ball.    The difference between a towering home run and a weak fly ball is miniscule.    Do you not understand this?
3/12/2014 10:58 AM
I know you like to argue but you're in Hour 40 of baseball/softball stupidity.    That's just obscene dumbassery.   Please bring up Edgar Martinez so I'll know no one has hacked your account.
3/12/2014 11:00 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/11/2014 12:43:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 3/11/2014 12:35:00 PM (view original):
Ok, I'm wrong. On average, flyballs come off the bat much faster than ground balls, but the peak velocities of both types are the same.

You've been wrong on almost everything for the last 20 hours.   Write it off as a bad day and try again tomorrow. 
OK, rinse/repeat.   See ya' on the 13th. 
3/12/2014 11:10 AM
◂ Prev 1...46|47|48|49|50...94 Next ▸
Derek Jeter's Last Stand Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.