Squeeze Play Debate Once Again Topic

Possibly but the real reason in my opinion is the cyber bullying that goes on. personally i laugh when i have been berated for various reasons while playing one of those idiots who realize they can say anything because i cant find them and physically retaliate. (well i could but thats just time and energy im not wiling to waste) i just remember that these idiots are most likely living in moms basement and thus is thier only form of enterfainment..
I mean seriously, what a 180 is this passage...  Paraphrase:

Cyber bullies are chasing people away from this game.  *cyber bullying, threats, insults*
12/5/2013 1:24 AM
You seem awful sensitive to the reference.   To summarize are you saying you think it's fine they berate newbies (or anyone) for not playing how you think they should? (and you quoted me but that is not my quote )
12/9/2013 12:12 AM (edited)
No, to summarize I'm saying that you're a hypocritical *******.
12/9/2013 3:03 PM
time to block rude people.   good bye mr non debater.  just name calling.  good luck
12/10/2013 9:40 PM (edited)
i'm going to bunt when i feel like it.

it doesn't always work...
I line out to the pitcher, pop up to the catcher and even strike out while attempting to bunt...
and how do you know that the bunt is a squeeze and not a sacrifice bunt?

12/10/2013 7:47 PM
because there is no setting for suicide squeeze over bunting. If you bunt with a man on 3rd even with infield in he almost always scores. I don't bunt with runner on 3rd because it is a glitch in the system and not realistic. you do what you want but if you bunt a run in against me chances are I leave the game. After all I pay my 12.95 too
12/10/2013 7:58 PM
Exactly right szczubelek. The programming flaw is that virtually every bunt with a runner at third sends the runner home. On other plays with runners on, Hit & Run brings with it increased risk of the runner being thrown out stealing or doubled off. Bunting with a runner at third, there is no need to choose Hit & Run because the runner always goes with no accompanying increased risk. If we could sacrifice the runner from first to second with a bunt while the runner at third holds, these threads would not be necessary. Those who bunt have every right to do it, and those who oppose it have an equal right to get ticked off about it.
12/10/2013 9:19 PM
your $12.95 is for your team.

bunting the guy from 3rd fails all the time...i only do it with pitchers.

but i'm not gonna hit into a DP to keep you from taking your ball and going home.
12/10/2013 9:19 PM
is it unreasonable that the infield should be in?  Then the "non bunting" to compensate for the flaw is  used against you as the infield back is not realistic?  To be nice you ground into a infield back double play.  not a fair or good plan.  I still believe some of this anger is people who don't want to watch for infield in situations and then they get burnt.  
12/10/2013 9:48 PM (edited)
I think that those who like to bunt would not do it if the defense plays like they would in real life.  a good bunter or a pitcher and they'd be infield in.  almost every time.  flaw?  yes, and if you don't want it used then make it a league rule that you don't suicide with infield in.   every one is happy.  it is fair.  i agree with gonzo, why ground into a double play if the other manager isn't defending the bunt?  can't we compromise to be fair to all involved?  bunt ok with IF back as they aren't defending it.  Flaw in the system so no squeeze with infield in.  Commments?
12/10/2013 9:42 PM (edited)
I agree about the non-infield in as well. If the infield is in I'm not bunting. If it isn't in, I feel that it is fair game because if I don't bunt there's a good chance I ground into a DP if I don't strike out.
12/10/2013 9:41 PM
Posted by gonzos on 12/10/2013 9:19:00 PM (view original):
your $12.95 is for your team.

bunting the guy from 3rd fails all the time...i only do it with pitchers.

but i'm not gonna hit into a DP to keep you from taking your ball and going home.
I have never said a word against bunting with pitchers or lousy, Belanger-type hitters. I get upset when someone
- brings a pitcher in to hit for his #3 batter to bunt
- brings a pitcher with 50+ at-bats in to pinch-bunt for a pitcher with fewer than 50 at-bats
- pinch-hits Elmer Steele for Tris Speaker
- uses Ted Lilly as a pinch-hitter with Strawberry on the bench
- leaves the pitcher in to bunt with Loretta on the bench and then relieves the pitcher on the mound before the next half-inning
- bunts with the plodding cleanup hitter up — Torre, Griffey Sr., Piniella

All examples 100% real.
12/10/2013 9:44 PM
Posted by sjh0825 on 12/10/2013 9:42:00 PM (view original):
I think that those who like to bunt would not do it if the defense plays like they would in real life.  a good bunter or a pitcher and they'd be infield in.  almost every time.  flaw?  yes, and if you don't want it used then make it a league rule that you don't suicide with infield in.   every one is happy.  it is fair.  i agree with gonzo, why ground into a double play if the other manager isn't defending the bunt?  can't we compromise to be fair to all involved?  bunt ok with IF back as they aren't defending it.  Flaw in the system so no squeeze with infield in.  Commments?
Usually when I play I'm also working in another window. I won't play someone that I know bunts unless I can devote full attention to the game, which I usually only do in playoffs. There's not really a perfect correlation with IF in/back and real life, because in real life even if the IF is back, with a runner at third it will typically be come in enough to at least make a bunt challenging, without necessarily coming all the way in as we suppose the IF IN setting does here. Certainly with a pitcher or Belanger up and a runner at third, the 3B is not going to be playing behind the bag whether the manager calls for full IF in or not.
12/10/2013 9:50 PM
josh, that is not when other people are having a fit..dahs ranted in another league when Pedro was mowing us down, bottom of the 8th, 1st and 3rd one out...Arky Vaughan was on a double play record setting pace.  down 2-0.  infield back.  I bunt and I heard it for weeks in the league post and the forum.  he's telling every one not to play me etc.  (and josh, that is a form of infield in, those who don't bring IF in are setting those fielders far back as far as sim is concerned)
12/10/2013 9:53 PM (edited)
If you bunted home a run against me with Arky Vaughan I'd have a fit also. Actually, I'd just leave and let the remaining games sim. If I don't want Arky to hit in the 8th, I'd probably pinch-hit for him. If George Scott is at first, I'd run for Scott and then hit and run. Problem is everyone has a valid self-interest point, and WIS isn't going to fix it any time soon. You want to bunt to avoid a DP; dahs, szcz and I would rather take the chance of a DP rather than (take your pick… exploit a flaw, do whatever is needed to win, tick off other owners, whatever). Knowing that people get angry about it, those who bunt should not be surprised when people, um, get angry about it.

And if by "that is a form of IF in" you mean letting the game sim instead of playing live, that's exactly my point. If the theory is that the bunt is fair game when the IF is not in, I can either let the games sim most of the time or cut back from 20 or so live teams at a time to 4 or 5 so I can pay attention to every at-bat. I don't think anyone trying to fill leagues wants me to cut back to 4 or 5 teams, but I could be mistaken. There is, after all, a first time for everything. 
12/10/2013 10:47 PM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
Squeeze Play Debate Once Again Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.