D3, Season 69 Topic

I'm now 0-8 in the second round of the NT.  If I ever win a second round game, I'm going to need to be heavily sedated after I see the result.
11/15/2013 11:20 AM
I think it will happend next season pseudo.

Keep grinding!
11/15/2013 11:42 AM
I hope so, heavy sedation sounds pretty cool.
11/15/2013 12:15 PM
Anyone see the Elite 8 in D2? There's an 11, 14, and 16 seed still alive. Holy crap.
11/16/2013 11:34 AM
Sweet 16 recap

Midwest -- #1 Millsaps (30-2) got a combined 33 points from Clyde Peguero and Joseph Poe to crush the dreams of 12-seed John Carroll 79-62. The upstarts were held to less than 40% shooting from the floor. That sets up a regional final with #4 Webster (31-1), a 94-83 victor over Dickinson last night. Douglas Keese had 24 points off the bench in 23 minutes of work as Webster shot 50% from the floor. Webster led by nine at the half and Dickinson never really made a push over the final 20 minutes. The regional championship game tonight will be a rematch of a 70-60 Millsaps win back in the non-con.

East -- It'll be the 1 and 2 seeds showing down as #5 Emory (27-4) turned the ball over just 7 times and shot 58.3% in a 79-60 blasting of Worcester St. Now they'll draw #6 Palm Beach Atlantic (29-3), which survived 76-72 in overtime against U.S. Merchant Marines. USMM stormed back from 9 down at the half and actually held the lead in the closing minute before, who else, Martin Perry's longball with 13 ticks remaining tied the score. Robert Snyder had a key defensive steal to send it to OT. In the extra period, PBA gets a timely late offensive rebound and two free throws from Jerry Kroll to seal the deal. It was PBA's second win of the year over USMM.

South -- #2 Colorado (31-1) continued to roll along with a 65-54 win over Ursinus. Cary Jessup's trey with just under 4 minutes to play appeared to slam the door on Ursinus' only real push in the second half. Other than that, a very workmanlike win for Colorado. In the finals, they'll draw 6-seed and #13 Austin (26-6). Austin jumped South Vermont out of the gate, surging to a 47-29 lead at intermission. S. Vermont rallied back to within 3 midway through the second half, but a 14-0 Austin run turned out the lights on any comeback hope. After 17 turnovers in its first two NT games combined, S. Vermont gave it away 26 times to Austin. That press is nasty! No rematch here, Colorado and Austin will be locking horns for the first time tonight.

West -- #3 Piedmont (29-3) made sure all the 1-seeds are alive and well in the Elite Eight with an 89-83 win over Louisiana. Robert Temples with 21 points and Richard Eisele added 20 more for Louisiana, but it wasn't enough. Robert Prill countered with 20 of his own for Piedmont, but it was David Armstrong's trey with 2 seconds to go that provided the game-winning dagger. Now they'll face #22 Wittenberg (24-7), which held Dallas to just 15 points in the second half of a 50-36 win. That's almost a Gridiron Dynasty score! Dallas led by 3 at the half, but that's not enough to endure 28% shooting over the final 20 minutes, including one ugly stretch of 7:21 where Dallas managed only a single free throw. Wittenberg is in as a 10-seed.
11/16/2013 12:37 PM
Posted by darnoc29099 on 11/16/2013 11:34:00 AM (view original):
Anyone see the Elite 8 in D2? There's an 11, 14, and 16 seed still alive. Holy crap.
Says the guy with the only double digit seed left in the D3 Elite 8.  Subtle darnoc, real subtle.
11/17/2013 8:01 AM (edited)
Hrmm...evidently in my national tournament preview I had the wrong regions playing each other in the Final Four. Do they rotate from season to season or was I just high or something?
11/17/2013 2:37 AM
Congrats to the final four teams:

Webster vs. Emory
This game is a toss up in my opinion.  Webster brings some serious firepower off the bench with Keese, I suspect to hide his defensive lack of focus.  I think Webster matches up well against Emory, and will slip thru to the final in a close one.   Webster reminds me of Hardin-Simmons a few seasons ago (season 58) - when they had superior scorers but somewhat lacking in defense.  I would also worry a little about rebounding as a coach of Webster.  Emory is an interesting team, as coach phalla often mixes in transfers and jucos, yet keeps going deep in the NT despite some IQ deficits.  I like Emory's defense skill in this game much more and he has a great PG that might not be bothered by the press much.

Piedmont vs. Colorado
I'm going with Colorado in the second game.  I'm just not sure Piedmont can overcome the 6 freshmen coming off the bench.  That said, he's done it all year and obviously is one of the most accomplished coaches in the game today, so my doubts might be completely bogus.  Both teams beat Louisiana this season (Piedmont on neutral court by 3, Colorado at home by 10)… that makes me think they are very evenly matched teams.  Since I think Colorado has a slight edge on the bench, I'm going with them in another close game.

Overall, I think this has been one of the most wide open NT tournaments in awhile - despite the fact that 3/4 regions had #1 make it to the final four.  None of the teams feel like overwhelming favorites like some squads have in the past.

11/17/2013 5:37 PM
WTH...Emory and Webster combine for 33 points in the second overtime after managing just four in the first OT period??!? Craziness!!
11/18/2013 2:15 AM
I'm out of the prediction game tonight after jinxing both coaches last night.  GL to phalla and bunkerbuster.  Great season for mschulte and bdpoor.

I decided to go ahead and make a prediction:  The state of Georgia will have the title by the morning.

11/18/2013 8:48 AM (edited)
Very impressive win for Piedmont over Colorado. Did not see that one coming in that magnitude. So much for what I said about Piedmont looking vulnerable in the West.
11/18/2013 10:24 AM
Piedmont has scored 45% of their points on three point baskets.  Just an observation.
11/18/2013 2:48 PM
Peidmont outscores Emory 33-13 in the last 15 minutes to comfortably win the NT. Congrats to bunkerbuster!
11/19/2013 4:57 AM
Yeah, brutal second half there phalla with the 6-for-whatever. Good season for both teams. I'm guessing bunker has a tough time repeating with his team cycling through to freshmen and sophomores (or he could recruit six JUCO juniors....).

I wonder...I've seen bunker have a lot of D3 success with this 6-6-0-0 rotation now here and in Iba. Has anyone seen it utilized above the D3 level with equal success? I've always been morbidly curious about trying it but always get scared off by the seasons where they're all Fr. and Soph's. I've got a D2 team that I can set up that way with relative ease in a season or two though and pondering playing just for something different to do.
11/19/2013 10:13 AM
Somebody help me out.  Why didn't anyone play Piedment at +3 or more on defense?  Am I missing something strategy wise?
11/19/2013 5:39 PM
◂ Prev 1...5|6|7|8|9 Next ▸
D3, Season 69 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.