Votes: 34
(Last vote received: 8/8/2016 7:30 AM)
7/3/2013 12:37 PM
MAIS OUI, MONSIEUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
7/3/2013 12:42 PM
RACIST!!!!
7/3/2013 12:52 PM

Here's my thinking.

MLB has lost the "calendar".    Football, college and pro, has passed MLB nationally quite some time ago.   Basketball, college and pro, steal from MLB's early season headlines.  Essentially, baseball has late June/July/early August to make it's mark and hope to keep America interested, outside of it's "normal" audience, for it's playoffs.    You can't create "buzz" with Carlos Beltran/Justin Upton/Carlos Gomez/etc.    

Bring in some young guys, future stars(or maybe the next Joe Charboneau) and see if you can get people to pay attention.

7/3/2013 12:59 PM
This came up with Strasburg and I basically said the same thing - why not?
7/3/2013 1:02 PM
I'd put any worthy rookie on the team.    Every time. 
7/3/2013 1:11 PM
History is littered with guys who got on the team largely on the strength of a hot 1-2 months to open the season and then wound up with a year that made you go "Huh, he was an All-Star?" in retrospect.  And these are guys that no one cared about and who had zero chance of generating any extra interest.  Any objections to have a guy like a Strasburg or a Puig in the game have to be grounded in a belief that the game is something it no longer is, maybe never was.
7/3/2013 1:17 PM

He's the season's breakout star, and it's not close.  He obviously wont maintain this level of play, but who cares?  The all- star game isnt about quality of play, its about entertainment for the fans and trying to expose more fans to the "stars" that play.

7/3/2013 1:29 PM
As long as it decides HFA for the World Series you should play the best players.  And right now Puig is one of the best players.  He certainly doesn't DESERVE to start with only a month's worth of work put in on the Major League level, but it would be best for the fans and the NL if he did.  He probably won't, but he should be on the team and he should get to play.
7/3/2013 3:26 PM
Remember a few years ago when all of America ****** over Josh Hamilton? That wasn't even the All Star GAME, it was batting practice. If Puig can make people watch, it's better than sending some .270 hitting 2B just because his union dues are paid up.
7/3/2013 3:55 PM
Puig has had a hell of a month and I won't complain if he's selected, but I do think anyone selected to the All-Star team should have put in 2-3 strong months of work. One month is way to small, IMO.

I also still have a bad taste in my mouth from last year, when Mr. Hype (AKA Bryce Harper) was selected having done nothing statistically to deserve it.
7/3/2013 3:56 PM
papelbon said no, so it's no.
7/3/2013 4:22 PM
Was he doing this at the time?

Disallowed.  That's way more spooge on his chest than any man should ever allow.
7/3/2013 4:27 PM
Is Papi splooging all over his chest?
7/3/2013 4:43 PM
Spuige?
7/3/2013 5:10 PM
123 Next ▸
Yasiel Puig Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.