Signing Long-term before Arbitration Topic

Posted by tecwrg on 1/17/2014 11:01:00 AM (view original):
I don't think it's a matter of beating a player in arb, it's a matter of taking him to arb three times, where you risk him not wanting to resign long-term.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no "memory" for players winning/losing in previous arbs.
But if you only arb twice you should be be able to sign them long term right? I.e. there's no downside for arbing twice other than you might be getting a player for an extra year of decline (but it not be severe enough for it to really matter). 
1/17/2014 11:11 AM
Yes, he should always sign long-term in his third arb-year.

The only reason why you might want to lock him up in his second arb year is that his LT $ demands will likely be smaller in his second arb year than in his third.

If I'm planning to keep somebody long-term, I usually arb once and then LT in their second arb year.  Though I have locked some guys up in their first arb year (which is cheaper still).
1/17/2014 11:18 AM
His LT demands will likely increase between 2nd/3rd arb years.  I can't recall a player reducing demands without a major injury.   But, other than that, no downside.

There is a bug in the game.  I never had the balls to test it until last season.   Arb a player and you return the same screen.   Hit the LT link and then sign him LT.  You get him for 6 seasons.  

Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Jimmy Powell

The disclaimer here is that I did it after his 2nd arb in hopes of keeping his LT demands lower.   They did not change.   I was afraid to do it after his third arb because he's too good and, if it didn't work, I'd have been way too ****** at myself for losing him.
1/17/2014 11:19 AM
what a good pitcher, I'd love to know who picks #1 and 2 were in that draft
1/17/2014 11:15 PM
1/18/2014 7:19 AM
 Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Sam Ainsworth
 Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Fred Price

I
 can arb both of these guys again and then long term next season right? Even though they have low patience ratings? 
2/28/2015 9:53 AM

Yes.

2/28/2015 12:20 PM
◂ Prev 12
Signing Long-term before Arbitration Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.