Posted by gvsujulius on 6/12/2013 11:15:00 AM (view original):
I like the idea and would join in. I think it would need to be a world without baseline prestige though. 

That being said... WIS will never do it, we can't even get them to give us updates on what they are working on. 
can't give updates on things that don't exist...
6/12/2013 5:58 PM
As for requirements -- why not let whoever was interested apply, and they would take the best X number of resumes? (Granted, we'd have to rely a bit on simmy to rank those resumes, but still.)

And yes, I agree that DI with no baseline prestige would definitely be the way to go.

Fun pipe dream.

6/12/2013 11:54 PM
Are we going to have conference prestige in this world that will never happen?
6/13/2013 12:13 AM
I would be open to this idea
6/13/2013 12:41 PM
Posted by professor17 on 6/12/2013 2:51:00 PM (view original):
There have been roughly 1,965 national champions across all divisions and all worlds in HD. Now granted, many of those were by coaches who are long since retired, and a good many are by the same coach(es), but there's still a pretty large pool of coaches to draw from. And you could always stage the entry invites. Start by inviting all coaches with a national title or 2000 career wins. If the world doesn't fill, relax the standards a bit and then have a new batch of invites. Rinse and repeat until the world fills. When new openings come up in future seasons, they'd be filled on a merit-based system like applying for any other new coaching job.
Don't forget to include a decent amount of those titles won by Sim teams before human coaches made it to D1 (at the very least 10 more for the first season of D2 in every world too).  Between the Sim team wins, retired coaches, and multiple winner coaches, that's gonna take a pretty significant chunk out of those 1,965.  Probably still have enough to fill a division in an all-star type world though.  Would be very interesting.
6/13/2013 1:29 PM
Posted by stinenavy on 6/13/2013 12:13:00 AM (view original):
Not conference baseline prestige, but conference prestige that would be predicated on -- GASP! -- actual success of the conference in that world.

Let me know if you have any other questions, as I've elected myself commissioner of our new dream world.
6/13/2013 2:50 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by girt25 on 6/13/2013 2:50:00 PM (view original):
Not conference baseline prestige, but conference prestige that would be predicated on -- GASP! -- actual success of the conference in that world.

Let me know if you have any other questions, as I've elected myself commissioner of our new dream world.
the girt world?

I was looking forward to the Krzyzewski world
6/14/2013 4:19 PM
Posted by jetwildcat on 6/14/2013 4:19:00 PM (view original):
Posted by girt25 on 6/13/2013 2:50:00 PM (view original):

the girt world?

I was looking forward to the Krzyzewski world
Well, I guess it'd be better than the Calipari world. That's about all I'll say for it. 
6/14/2013 7:57 PM
I think no baseline prestige is a bad idea- Look at the prestige swings in D2/D3, those fluctuate a HUGE amount after just 1 season.  There's no "history" because it only looks at a 4 year window.  

I propose that this new world have a "floating" baseline prestige.  Everyone would start at a baseline of C (or something, that could be thought about more).  The floating baseline would take into account the previous 20 seasons or so (again, not sure how we would work this out at the beginning of the world) which would create the element of "history".  This would allow you to build up a school over a long time and actually have a benefit for sticking around.  People could create their own power conferences by sticking around long term.  

History is a factor in real life, but in an ideal WiS world, we would create or own history instead of letting WIS dictate it for us (and not have it be able to be adjusted). 
6/15/2013 2:33 AM
Good point, tkimble.

I have carved out a spot for you on my cabinet -- Secretary of Prestige.

6/15/2013 8:20 AM
Posted by tkimble on 6/15/2013 2:33:00 AM (view original):
I think no baseline prestige is a bad idea- Look at the prestige swings in D2/D3, those fluctuate a HUGE amount after just 1 season.  There's no "history" because it only looks at a 4 year window.  

I propose that this new world have a "floating" baseline prestige.  Everyone would start at a baseline of C (or something, that could be thought about more).  The floating baseline would take into account the previous 20 seasons or so (again, not sure how we would work this out at the beginning of the world) which would create the element of "history".  This would allow you to build up a school over a long time and actually have a benefit for sticking around.  People could create their own power conferences by sticking around long term.  

History is a factor in real life, but in an ideal WiS world, we would create or own history instead of letting WIS dictate it for us (and not have it be able to be adjusted). 
I would argue that the swings in prestige are pretty realistic for teams with no massive backlog of quality seasons/programs, and that there is a LOT less ******** about prestige at d2 and d3 than there is at d1. and that most of the complaints regard baseline prestige and conference prestige.

so perhaps a d3 prestige system is ideal (where the difference in A and B isn't so extreme, too)... It would surely make recruiting interesting if B- Utah could beat A UCLA for a recruit every now and then. and even more so if it were B- UCLA trying to defend a local against A Utah.      
6/15/2013 9:48 AM
Posted by girt25 on 6/15/2013 8:20:00 AM (view original):
Good point, tkimble.

I have carved out a spot for you on my cabinet -- Secretary of Prestige.

the biggest prestige impact should be for the previous 10 seasons since an 18 year-old recruit is very impressionable from ages 8 and up.

in fact, a national championship should cause a spike in local recruit density for about 10 years as more kids decide to pick up basketball after the 'mania' of a local national champ
6/15/2013 11:42 PM
Posted by tkimble on 6/15/2013 2:33:00 AM (view original):

totally agree with the concept. for example, in Iba, LostMyth2's St. Bonaventure dynasty should effectively make it the new Duke
6/15/2013 11:44 PM
◂ Prev 123

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.