Real basketball skills...Got 'em? Topic

I appreciate the responses, Coaches.
Every now and then I like to post a thread that's a bit fun and has nothing to do with multiple teams/baseline prestige/D1 recruiting.  I was also thinking about posting a motivational thought everyday (like the one below) but didn't want to clog up the Forums.

*Yesterday is but today's memory, and tomorrow is today's dream.
Khalil Gibran 

6/12/2013 10:00 AM
My dad never let me play basketball because he was obsessed with me becoming a baseball star.  Sadly I never became a baseball star because despite having a mean knuckleball and a respectable fastball, I stopped growing in like 9th grade and remain too short to be an intimidating force on the mound.  That and I just never had as much fun pitching as I did playing basketball.  Never played in a rec league but I've always played with friends or just random people on outdoor courts or at local gyms. I've made a great friend in college who I play with and occasionally play against some of the players on my school's DIII team in intramurals/pick-up games. 
6/12/2013 10:02 AM
I played for 2 years at Hebbardsville (KY) Junior High.  I averaged 1 point/year....that's right....my hightlight reel consists of only ONE basket.
6/12/2013 10:17 AM
Posted by alblack56 on 6/12/2013 10:17:00 AM (view original):
I played for 2 years at Hebbardsville (KY) Junior High.  I averaged 1 point/year....that's right....my hightlight reel consists of only ONE basket.
I bet it was the sweetest basket you've ever seen.
6/12/2013 10:27 AM
alblack made his one basket with a full-court dunk like the "Monster Jam" from the 90s NBA Jam video game.

"Monster jam...he's on fire!"

After that, there was no point in his playing any longer, as he'd already exerted his absolute dominance on the game.

6/12/2013 10:40 AM
I was a Division1 student athlete that played basketball at the University of Kentucky, however, it should be noted that it was on the Women's basketball practice squad. My most notable pick up game team of basketball was Me, John Wall (Wizards), Darius Miller (Pelicans), Josh Harrellson (stints with Knicks and Heat), and a random Johnson Center All-Star. Funniest part was they kicked Randall Cobb (Packers) off the team for me on the last day of classes my freshmen year. Later tore my ACL and have never been the same. Coach Cbryant31 and coach Jakemadden3 (RMAC,Crum D2) were good ball players for McNicholas HS in Cincinnati though. Better than myself at least.
6/13/2013 3:34 PM
Posted by dbarth101 on 6/13/2013 3:34:00 PM (view original):
I was a Division1 student athlete that played basketball at the University of Kentucky, however, it should be noted that it was on the Women's basketball practice squad. My most notable pick up game team of basketball was Me, John Wall (Wizards), Darius Miller (Pelicans), Josh Harrellson (stints with Knicks and Heat), and a random Johnson Center All-Star. Funniest part was they kicked Randall Cobb (Packers) off the team for me on the last day of classes my freshmen year. Later tore my ACL and have never been the same. Coach Cbryant31 and coach Jakemadden3 (RMAC,Crum D2) were good ball players for McNicholas HS in Cincinnati though. Better than myself at least.
+1
6/13/2013 4:48 PM
When I worked at a rec center, I played pick up all the time, including a few rec leagues.  I was a hustle/rebound guy (I can guard guys much bigger than my 6'2" height).  I've got no dribbling ability, but I can shoot okay.  Occasionally we'd have some former DII & DIII players in the gym (once or twice a DI guy).

The skill level difference between DII and DIII guys I saw was bigger than I expected.  The DII guys could flat out play, but the biggest difference between DIII guys and an upper-level rec league guy was basketball IQ.

For the last 10 years I've mostly played co-ed soccer; basketball gym floors are too hard on my knees.  I've found that being tall lends itself to being a good center defender and goalie, but now that I'm on the downside of my 30s it's getting harder to stay healthy.
6/13/2013 8:22 PM
Posted by The Taint on 6/11/2013 8:17:00 PM (view original):
I went to the Loyola Marymount/UNLV great eight game in Oakland.
I still have most of the games from LMU's 1990 run on VCR tapes, including the UNLV one. They're fun to watch now and then, especially the Michigan blowout.
6/13/2013 9:41 PM
Posted by p6453 on 6/13/2013 4:48:00 PM (view original):
+1
Either I don't understand the +1 thing, or you're using it wrong.

I was a volleyball player and played college baseball. One of 7 white men, under 6'0", with Jewish heritage (at least somewhere along the line), who could throw down a decent dunk. But I was always all athlete and no talent. I'm good for defense, weak-side rebounding, and the occasional crazy 3-point play, but not much else.
6/13/2013 9:50 PM
Posted by isack24 on 6/13/2013 9:50:00 PM (view original):
Posted by p6453 on 6/13/2013 4:48:00 PM (view original):
+1
Either I don't understand the +1 thing, or you're using it wrong.

I was a volleyball player and played college baseball. One of 7 white men, under 6'0", with Jewish heritage (at least somewhere along the line), who could throw down a decent dunk. But I was always all athlete and no talent. I'm good for defense, weak-side rebounding, and the occasional crazy 3-point play, but not much else.
Sorry isack, I can see how it's a bit misleading. I was using the "+1" in regards to that pick up game team that he was on with Wall, Darius Miller and Josh Harrellson. My bad. I appreicate all the responses...pretty cool hearing about the "real life" basketball experiences of the HD coaches.
6/14/2013 9:26 AM
Best pickup game I ever played was at Villanova with Antonio Pena and Reggie Redding. Redding wore flip flops and hung out at the 3-pt line. I was marking Pena and actually stole the ball from him once! Then he dunked on me.
6/14/2013 1:55 PM
◂ Prev 12
Real basketball skills...Got 'em? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.