D2 Season 65 Topic

Posted by bbunch on 7/14/2013 11:44:00 AM (view original):
wow greenhawks. Didn't expect to run into your squad in the elite 8. 
Not as surprised as I am!  With 4 sophs and 5 freshmen, I was lucky to even make the tournament.  At the end of regular season, I was 14-12, had lost 2 straight, was #62 on the projection list, and had started scouting possible PIT opponents.   But, in the CT, we defeated 3 teams that we'd previously lost to and sneaked into the NT. 

Even one win would've been gravy...to win 3 is  beyond my wildest expectations.   I don't expect to defeat Longwood but that's OK...I'm more than satisfied!
7/14/2013 2:18 PM
The game between St. Mary's TX and Longwood tonight could be one of the ugliest games in basketball history.  Both teams are built around defense and athleticism.  Very interesting matchup for us.
7/15/2013 8:31 AM
Posted by mduncanhogs on 7/15/2013 8:31:00 AM (view original):
The game between St. Mary's TX and Longwood tonight could be one of the ugliest games in basketball history.  Both teams are built around defense and athleticism.  Very interesting matchup for us.
The first meeting was great, with Longwood winning 65-64.  

The other semi is interesting, as well. It matches the Derby City champ, Valdosta, vs the Yam Jam winner, CSU-San Diego
7/15/2013 11:45 AM
Posted by greenhawks on 7/15/2013 11:45:00 AM (view original):

The other semi is interesting, as well. It matches the Derby City champ, Valdosta, vs the Yam Jam winner, CSU-San Diego

The Final Four aka "Teams That Beat Incarnate Word Invitational."

We had the good fortune/bad luck of playing all four final four participants this season in a total of 6 games:

Incarnate Word 81, Longwood 71:  In non-con IW plays above its head and shoots out of its mind, resulting in Longwood's stingy D surrendering a season-high 81 points.

Valdosta St 75, Incarnate Word 65 & Valdosta St 93, Incarnate Word 92:  IW drops two to Valdosta, the second coming on our home floor on a shot with 0:03 remaining.

St Mary's (TX) 72, Incarnate Word 66 & Incarnate Word 88, St Mary's (TX) 86 (OT):  We split with conference and cross-town rivals St Mary's, although it took OT on a neutral floor to get it done.

California, San Diego 76, Incarnate Word 65:  Cal SD knocks IW out of the tournament, holding us to sub 40% shooting. 

Based on the above, I'd say the winner of the Valdosta-Cal SD game has a slight edge for the title.

Incidentally, Nostra-Filby picked 5 of the Elite 8 teams.  For some reason, I only made one pick in the South, but I'll take 5 out of 7.

Good luck to all the remaining coaches!

7/15/2013 2:15 PM
you had more faith in my team than I did, dave. Great pick!
7/15/2013 3:06 PM
Posted by davefilby on 7/15/2013 2:15:00 PM (view original):
Posted by greenhawks on 7/15/2013 11:45:00 AM (view original):

The Final Four aka "Teams That Beat Incarnate Word Invitational."

We had the good fortune/bad luck of playing all four final four participants this season in a total of 6 games:

Incarnate Word 81, Longwood 71:  In non-con IW plays above its head and shoots out of its mind, resulting in Longwood's stingy D surrendering a season-high 81 points.

Valdosta St 75, Incarnate Word 65 & Valdosta St 93, Incarnate Word 92:  IW drops two to Valdosta, the second coming on our home floor on a shot with 0:03 remaining.

St Mary's (TX) 72, Incarnate Word 66 & Incarnate Word 88, St Mary's (TX) 86 (OT):  We split with conference and cross-town rivals St Mary's, although it took OT on a neutral floor to get it done.

California, San Diego 76, Incarnate Word 65:  Cal SD knocks IW out of the tournament, holding us to sub 40% shooting. 

Based on the above, I'd say the winner of the Valdosta-Cal SD game has a slight edge for the title.

Incidentally, Nostra-Filby picked 5 of the Elite 8 teams.  For some reason, I only made one pick in the South, but I'll take 5 out of 7.

Good luck to all the remaining coaches!

Harding was 3-0 against the teams in the Final 4. We didn't play the California team.
7/16/2013 11:28 AM
Just the 5th time in 65 Iba seasons the NT winner has had double-digit losses. Interestingly, twice in the last six its been Longwood & bbunch. Congrats!
7/17/2013 7:08 AM
thanks dave. It seems like it's our less dominant teams that win the NT, and our more dominant squads usually fizzle out. 
7/17/2013 8:47 AM

Way to go, bbunch!

7/17/2013 10:24 AM
Congrats bbunch! Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.
7/17/2013 10:57 AM
Way late, but congrats Bbunch, well done!
7/28/2013 3:58 PM
◂ Prev 12345
D2 Season 65 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.