Thanks for your generous donation Matt! Topic

Seriously, get over yourself todd.

The guy makes one tweet in a sea of them in response to this disaster letting people know what he's doing, and OBVIOUSLY he's "grandstanding" and "self-promoting."  Glad to know you're that great a judge of intent.

And obviously okay with grandstanding and self-promoting as long as you put enough money behind it...

5/22/2013 11:27 AM (edited)
AGAIN, I'd argue he's creating awareness and encouraging others to donate as well.  

In your eyes, he's better off doing nothing.  Which is silly.
5/22/2013 11:22 AM

Do you tweet every time you give a quarter to a street derelict?  I repeat, I have no problem with a donation.  If you honestly think that Matt Kemp is trying to create awareness about THE LEAD STORY ON THE NEWS with his self-aggrandizing tweet, then fine, I see some value.   More likely, it's his agent or publicist trying to build his public image with pocket change.

Publicizing your own donations is simply trying to buy goodwill.

5/22/2013 11:30 AM
No. Why would I do that? What good does that serve? There's a difference.  I guarantee that there's at least 1 person who is donating money to this tragedy who otherwise wouldn't, because he's a fan of Matt Kemp.

Again, you think he's better off doing nothing, which is silly.
5/22/2013 11:32 AM
Here.  You happy now?  Or should he have just donated it and kept his mouth shut?

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/eye-on-baseball/22285189/matt-kemp-commits-250000-to-oklahoma-relief

5/22/2013 11:36 AM
Posted by burnsy483 on 5/22/2013 11:33:00 AM (view original):
No. Why would I do that? What good does that serve? There's a difference.  I guarantee that there's at least 1 person who is donating money to this tragedy who otherwise wouldn't, because he's a fan of Matt Kemp.

AGAIN, I didn't say he's better off doing nothing.  I said "Fine, donate some money.  You don't need to tweet about it.  Just do something good without tooting your own horn about it.  It isn't about you anyway."

If I told you that I sent $20 to the RedCross this week, why would you think I told you?

(which, by the way, would be much more than DIAH would send)
5/22/2013 12:06 PM
I guess Kemp realized that there are a lot of 'tardcomms in the world.

As far as twitter, athletes do dumb ****(as we all do).   But now they can announce their dumb **** to thousands/millions of people without a filter.    I'd say Kemp was sitting there, pouting over sucking, and thought "I'm gonna donate $1000 every time I hit a homer!!!"    And he thought that was a good idea until someone said "Hey, dummy, $1000?   People know what you make per year."  
5/22/2013 12:07 PM
If I helped Matt Kemp learn a little self-awareness, should I tweet about it?
5/22/2013 12:09 PM
Posted by toddcommish on 5/22/2013 12:06:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 5/22/2013 11:33:00 AM (view original):

AGAIN, I didn't say he's better off doing nothing.  I said "Fine, donate some money.  You don't need to tweet about it.  Just do something good without tooting your own horn about it.  It isn't about you anyway."

If I told you that I sent $20 to the RedCross this week, why would you think I told you?

(which, by the way, would be much more than DIAH would send)
Are you Matt Kemp and can create awareness for a cause to millions of people?
5/22/2013 12:24 PM
I get everyone knows about the tornado, but I'm sure there are people who donated because Matt Kemp did.  So it's a good thing.

FWIW, Kemp has donated $500,000 to charity this year.  That's what we know of.  Take 2.3% of your salary and see if you donated that much to charity this year.  
5/22/2013 12:27 PM
Ahh, so now we're judging the generosity of our charitable donations by a flat percentage of our income, rather than say, disposable or discretionary income?

Do you have such a flat-rate mentality when it comes to our income-tax system? 

I'd argue that 2.3% of his baseball salary means a lot less to Matt Kemp than 2.3% of my salary does to me.  And I'd be right.

Face it, every time a celebrity gives MONEY, they're spending a resource they don't care about, and they're essentially buying publicity.  In fact, I'd almost guarantee that $25K is a typical night in a "gentleman's club" for most pro athletes. 

That's why TIME given to Make-a-Wish or hospital visits mean more. 

YMMV.
5/22/2013 12:49 PM
You're right about the % vs gross income.  And maybe he gives more than the 2.3% I know of.  I don't know.

I disagree with your ideas about why celebrities give money to charity.  Maybe I'm naive, but I'd like to think most of the time they give $ to charity for genuine reasons.  I think Kemp is one of those people.  And for what it's worth, Kemp does donate his time to good causes as well.
5/22/2013 12:58 PM
I, for one, am shocked that toddcomm's phone isn't constantly ringing with celebrities asking him how they should go about making charitible contributions...
5/22/2013 1:05 PM
Also good to know that the very wealthy don't care about their money.
5/22/2013 1:06 PM
Well, to be fair, we've see many examples of celebrities/athletes that don't care about their money.    Otherwise, they wouldn't be broke at 40. 
5/22/2013 1:27 PM
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8|9 Next ▸
Thanks for your generous donation Matt! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.