Space Age Progressive historical thread Topic

That is what I was thinking also skunk206.

If we fill more quickly, at most we would start the draft off the clock, meaning people have all the time they need to make a pick in the first round, even if it is a whole weekend. 

But certainly the earliest we would go on the clock would be Monday. So yes, take your time to get the prep work done - you are far from the only one who will need that time. 
5/14/2013 8:03 PM
I thought I'd have a little more time to think about it -- I really don't need another team -- but I'm in
5/15/2013 12:30 AM
Italy -I'm in if you'll have me - I'm not great with this era but I'd like to keep trying :)
5/15/2013 12:57 AM
fire13, I don't need another team either - but I am in ! flbarons we are honored to have you and fire13 in with the rest of us. We are up to 22 and need just two more. Hurray ! 

In any case, I think one's relationship to a team that you build from scratch in a founding league draft is also different - not a one-time thing like in OLs, not even a rebuilding from a roster that is already there as when you join later to take over a team needing an owner, but really your own vision with immediate and long-term planning. So in a way EVERYONE needs that ! 

As to the era, it is a great way to learn players and teams when you play a prog in a period you don't know that well, and then we will gradually work our way through the 50s to the 60s. Knowing that somewhere out there are Mantle, Mays, Aaron, Koufax, Gibson and the rest is part of the fun. 
5/15/2013 4:07 AM (edited)
1. italyprof
2. erne6
3.chargingryno
4.impaulster99
5.contrarian23
6.will_prosper
7.marcstuart
8.dino27
9.imladris12
10.skunk206
11.elvisgump
12.dannino
13.eastvanmungo
14.mountainjack
15.ooooohdoggie
16.keymaster
17.ljemd
18.redsfive
19.hersheybear
20.Poddy
21.fire13
22.flbarons
23.kev780
5/15/2013 8:35 AM (edited)
Wow this seems like a really well thought out league in an era ive never played before.  I d like to get in as #23.
5/15/2013 8:27 AM
EXPLANATION OF HOW WE WILL DO THE DRAFT: 

Basically I wanted to create a situation where there are essentially two number 1 picks - one for the players who played in the AL in the year we are drafting (currently 1946) or later in their rookie years and one for those who played (again speaking of real life baseball now) in the NL. 

A very few - I think two players - played in both leagues in 1946, so I put them on the list for whichever league they had more PA in. 

If you look at the lists of available players for drafting I have divided them into:

National League position players and pitchers
American League position players and pitchers
Secondary players and pitchers (from those oddball leagues and seasons).

We will basically have three separate drafts - first the NL, and once every players has been drafted, or at least no one wants to draft any other NL player, we will then draft the AL players into our teams. When we all have at least 16 players on our rosters AND no one wants any of the remaining players or there are no more left, we turn to that long list of Secondary players so everyone can draft whomever they need to fill their remaining positions, rosters, staffs etc. 

Everyone can draft up to 35 players - with 10 that will remain then in AAA once the season starts whom you can bring up whenever they are needed. But no one is required to draft more than 25 if they don't need to or want to. 

The NL draft will happen first and the draft order will be determined by using the website that generates a random list for these purposes. So for now we can all concentrate our research on those players who are on the NL list that I posted - I will repost all the lists together once we are full so they are all easier to find, but they are all up there in the classified thread already. Whoever goes last in round 1 will go first in round 2, whoever was next to last will go second and so on. Then in round 3 we are back to the original order from round 1 and it will continue will odd number rounds going A to X (24 owners and so 24 letters of the alphabet), and even numbered ones going X to A. 

Then I will generate a new random order for the AL. The only difference will be that if any of the same owners that were numbers 1-4 for the draft of players from the real life NL are also in the top 4 for this draft I will move those to somewhere between numbers 20-24, depending on what pick the people at the bottom previously had for the sake of spreading the good draft positions more widely, bumping everyone ahead of that or those people whom I move up one or more slots based on how many needed to be shifted. Again, we will then go A to X in round 1, X to A in round 2.  etc. 

The first round of the draft of players from the NL list will be off the clock, meaning people have as long as it needs to get their research done and make their picks. We will start going on the clock, in probably half hour shifts, starting in round 2 whenever that is. 

We can then see how everyone feels later about whether to stay on the clock even for round 1 of the draft of players on the AL list which we start only after the draft of NL players is finished. 

Once all that is done, the order of the draft for Secondary players will in theory be based on the number of free roster positions each owner had and therefore how many picks they theoretically need (even if they are not going to use them, we will always use 35 minus number already on roster to determine the order). However, in future seasons this will work better as people will have cut or drafted different numbers - it is quite possible that most of us will have the same number of players this first time around after the NL/AL player drafts, so my guess is that I will do one more random ordering for that draft as well this time, though in the future that won't be needed. 

At any point in all this, any owner may use their pick in any round to choose a stadium and therefore city, state or region for their team to play in as their pick for that round. 

I hope this helps. 

The initial draft will take time and we all need a little patience with each other as we go through it, we all need time to research players and figure out our priorities - pitching, position players, offense, good players for now, players who develop later etc. and we will all have different approaches to these problems. 

It is made a little easier by the fact that we draft one list (players who played in the NL in 1946), then only after that whole draft a second list (those played in the AL in 1946) and only then the list of Secondary players, so we can all do our research in stages if needed. 

We are probably going to hold the draft in an unused forum for an old progressive league that chargingryno has kept open (the forum that is) where we can organize ourselves for this more efficiently - we used it for another founding draft for another league about a year ago and it worked very well. 

I will ask chargingryno to provide all of us on the list access to that forum as soon as we are full - and Thank You chargingryno for the generous offer - and we will all meet up there where I will once again post - all in one place to make life easier the relevant lists of players available for the draft. 

Since we are likely to fill up in the next 24 hours (or minutes the way this is going), we can in theory start whenever I have generated the random draft orders and chargingryno has provided us all access to the forum, at which point I will send a sitemail to everyone informing us all of that. The first person up can in principle make their first draft pick at any time, but since we are off the clock we can all take all the time we need to fully research players and be prepared before making picks. We will not go on the clock till round 2 and even if we run ahead of the clock as we draft the very earliest we would go on the clock would be Monday, later than that if we are still in round 1. 

I hope this clarifies things. 

THANKS EVERYONE FOR JOINING AND SHOWING INTEREST, ENTHUSIASM AND SOME CONFIDENCE IN THIS IDEA. 

I look forward to getting the ball rolling (and then fielded and thrown to first for the out):

italyprof
5/15/2013 9:14 AM
How can I resist taking the last spot.  I'm in
5/15/2013 9:34 AM
Thanks WavelandGuy ! and welcome. 

We are a league - the Space Age Progressive League is here ! 

See just above here for an explanation of how we will proceed with our founding draft.

We have two owners who are interested but for the moment are unable to join. So, the update:

1. italyprof
2. erne6
3.chargingryno
4.impaulster99
5.contrarian23
6.will_prosper
7.marcstuart
8.dino27
9.imladris12
10.skunk206
11.elvisgump
12.dannino
13.eastvanmungo
14.mountainjack
15.ooooohdoggie
16.keymaster
17.ljemd
18.redsfive
19.hersheybear
20.Poddy
21.fire13
22.flbarons
23.kev780
24.WavelandGuy

Waiting list (interested in the near future):

frazzman80
blues322

chargingryno, can you give everyone on the owner list for the league access to the forum please, so we can move the draft materials there ? Thanks. 

I will sitemail everyone when we have the forum up and accessible to us all and I have the randomly generated draft order for the drafts of NL and AL players. I will post the lists of available players for the draft (NL, AL and Secondary player lists) and available ballparks here again in a little while (I am finishing grading my Spring semester courses today), so that they are easier to locate but they are all here in this thread if you go back a couple of pages, and then will also post them in the forum chargingryno will let us use until we have our own league number and can set up a permanent league forum. 

Again, see the explanation of what we will do now in the post just above this one, and welcome and thanks everyone !

5/15/2013 9:45 AM (edited)

American and National League players available for draft in 1946

National League Available Players 1946

Position Players 

Catchers

Ferrell Anderson

Bill Baker

Hank Camelli

Walker Cooper

Bruce Edwards

Joe Garagiola

Rollie Hemsley

Stew Hofferth

Clyde Kluttz

Ray Lamanno

Mickey Livingston

Ernie Lombardi

Al Lopez

Phil Masi

Clyde McCullough

Ray Mueller

Ken O’Dea

Don Padgett

Del Rice

Bill Salkeld

Bob Scheffing

Andy Seminick

Bennie Warren

First Basemen

Vance Dinges

Elbie Fletcher

Bert Haas

Johnny Hopp

Frank McCormick

Johnny Mize

Ray Sanders

Howie Schultz

Eddie Shokes

Dick Sisler

Ed Stevens

Eddie Waitkus                                                                                                    

Babe Young

Second Basemen

Bobby Adams

Buddy Blattner

Lonny Frey

Frankie Gustine

Billy Herman

Don Johnson

Lou Klein

Connie Ryan

Red Schoendienst

Eddie Stanky

Lou Stringer

Emil Verban

Burgess Whitehead

Mickey Witek

Benny Zientara

Third Basemen

Nanny Fernandez

Stan Hack

Lee Handley

Grady Hatton

Whitey Kurowski

Cookie Lavagetto

Howie Moss

Johnny Ostrowski

Bob Ramazzotti

Bill Rigney

Skippy Roberge

Jim Tabor

Bobby Thompson

Shortstops

Jimmy Brown

Claude Corbitt

Billy Cox

Jeff Cross

Dick Culler

Roy Hughes

Billy Jurges

Buddy Kerr

Marty Marion

Lennie Merullo

Eddie Miller

Skeeter Newsome

John O’Neil

Pee Wee Reese

Bobby Sturgeon

Whitey Wietelmann

Outfielders

Buster Adams

Johnny Barrett

Phil Cavarretta

Dain Clay

Frank Colman

Dom Dallessandro

Erv Dusak

Bob Elliott

Del Ennis

Carl Furillo

Augie Galan

Charlie Gilbert

Carden Gillenwater

Al Gionfriddo

Sid Gordon

Jack Graham

Gene Hermanski

Tommy Holmes

Ralph Kiner

Al Libke

Danny Litwhiler

Peanuts Lowrey

Eddie Lukon

Willard Marshall

Mike McCormick

Joe Medwick

Terry Moore

Stan Musial

Bill Nicholson

Ron Northey

Mel Ott

Andy Pafko

Pete Reiser

Marv Rickert

Goody Rosen

Bama Rowell

Johnny Rucker

Jim Russell

Enos Slaughter

Bob Usher

Maurice Vanrobays

Dixie Walker

Harry Walker

Jimmy Wasdell

Max West

Dick Whitman

Chuck Workman

Johnny Wyrostek

5/15/2013 9:57 AM

National League Pitchers Available for the 1946 Draft 

Pitchers

Woody Abernathy

Ed Albosta

Nate Andrews

Ed Bahr

Rex Barney

Frank Barrett

Red Barrett

Russ Bauers

Johnny Beazley

Joe Beggs

Hank Behrman

Hi Bithorn

Ewell Blackwell

Hank Borowy

Ralph Branca

Al Brazle

Harry Brecheen

Mike Budnick

Ken Burkhart

Bob Carpenter

Hugh Casey

Bob Chipman

Mort Cooper

Murry Dickson

Blix Donnelly

Paul Erickson

Rube Fischer

Bill Fleming

Ken Gables

Johnny Gee

Al Gerheauser

Hal Gregg

Harry Gumbert

Jack Hallett

Joe Hatten

Ed Head

Ken Heintzelman

Art Herring

Johnny Hetki

Ed Heusser

Kirby Higby

Lefty Hoerst

Tommy Hughes

Si Johnson

Sheldon Jones

Bob Joyce

Oscar Judd

Al Jurisich

Andy Karl

Monte Kennedy

Dave Koslo

Jack Kraus

Emil Kush

Clayton Lambert

Max Lanier

Johnny Lanning

Bill Lee

Vic Lombardi

Bob Malloy

Fred Martin

Dick Mauney

Rube Melton

Hugh Mulcahy

Dick Mulligan

Red Munger

Johnny Niggeling

Fritz Ostermueller

Claude Passeau

Howie Pollett

Bill Posedel

Ken Raffensberger

Preacher Roe

Steve Roser

Schoolboy Rowe

Johnny Sain

Charlie Schanz

Freddy Schmidt

Johnny Schmitz

Hal Schumacher

Rip Sewell

Clyde Shoun

Elmer Singleton

Warren Spahn

Charley Stanceu

Nick Strincevich

Junior Thompson

Ken Trinkle

Johnny Vander Meer

Bill Voiselle

Lefty Wallace

Bucky Walters

Les Webber

Ted Wilks

Ed Wright

Hank Wyse

5/15/2013 9:58 AM

American League Players available for the 1946 draft and season

Position Players

Catchers

Gene Desautels

Bill Dickey

George Dickey

Jake Early

Al Evans

Mike Guerra

Frankie Hayes

Jim Hegan

Hank Helf

Tom Jordan

Sherm Lollar

Frank Mancuso

Roy Partee

Paul Richards

Aaron Robinson

Buddy Rosar

Joe Schultz

Bob Swift

Birdie Tebbetts

Mike Tresh

Hal Wagner

First Basemen

Heinz Becker

Babe Dahlgren

Nick Etten

Les Fleming

Hank Greenberg

Jake Jones

Bruce Konopka

Joe Kuhel

George McQuinn

Mickey Rocco

Steve Souchock

Chuck Stevens

Hal Trosky

Mickey Vernon

Jerry Witte

Rudy York

Second Basemen

Johnny Berardino

Jimmy Bloodworth

Jack Conway

Bobby Doerr

Joe Gordon

Oscar Grimes

Irv Hall

Gene Handley

Billy Johnson

Don Kolloway

Ray Mack

Eddie Mayo

Dutch Meyer

Cass Michaels

Jerry Priddy

Skeeter Webb

Third Basemen

Mark Christman

Bob Dillinger

Pinky Higgins

George Kell

Ken Keltner

Dario Lodigiani

Johnny Lucadello

Hank Majeski

Howie Moss

Eddie Pellagrini

Don Richmond

Sherry Robertson

Don Ross

Rip Russell

Snuffy Stirnweiss

Leo Wells

Shortstops

Luke Appling

Lou Boudreau

Jake Caulfield

Frankie Crosetti

Billy Hitchcock

Eddie Lake

Johnny Pesky

Phil Rizzuto

Vern Stephens

Pete Suder

Gil Torres

Cecil Travis

Jack Wallaesa

Outfielders

George Binks

George Case

Sam Chapman

Gil Coan

Doc Cramer

Leon Culberson

Roy Cullenbine

Guy Curtright

Russ Derry

Dom Dimaggio

Joe Dimaggio

Hank Edwards

Hoot Evers

Joe Grace

Jeff Heath

Tommy Henrich

Ralph Hodgin

Wally Judnich

Charlie Keller

Bob Kennedy

Chet Labs

Buddy Lewis

Johnny Lindell

Felix Mackiewicz

Tom McBride

Barney McCosky

Glenn McQuillen

Catfish Metkovich

Anse Moore

Wally Moses

Pat Mullin

Jimmy Outlaw

Hal Peck

Dave Philley

Whitey Platt

Pat Seerey

Stan Spence

Tuck Stainback

Thurman Tucker

Elmer Valo

Dick Wakefield

Jimmy Wasdell

Ted Williams

Gene Woodling

Taffy Wright

Al Zarilla

5/15/2013 9:59 AM

American League players available to draft and to play in the 1946 season

Pitchers

Jim Bagby Jr.

Al Benton

Joe Berry

Bill Bevens

Don Black

Tiny Bonham

Mace Brown

Earl Caldwell

George Caster

Pete Center

Spud Chandler

Russ Christopher

Bill Dietrich

Joe Dobson

Clem Dreisewerd

Red Embree

Everett Fagan

Cliff Fannin

Bob Feller

Stan Ferens

Tom Ferrick

Dave Ferriss

Jesse Floris

Dick Fowler

Denny Galehouse

Charlie Gassaway

Al Gettel

Steve Gromek

Orval Grove

Randy Gumpert

Mickey Haefner

Ralph Hamner

Mel Harder

Lum Harris

Mickey Harris

Joe Haynes

Al Hollingsworth

Sid Hudson

Tex Hughson

Fred Hutchinson

Earl Johnson

Bill Kennedy

Ellis Kinder

Bob Klinger

Lou Knerr

Joe Krakauskas

Jack Kramer

Thornton Lee

Bob Lemon

Dutch Leonard

Ed Lopat

Ted Lyons

Gordon Maltzberger

Phil Marchildon

Cuddles Marshall

Walt Masterson

Ox Miller

Bob Muncrief

Johnny Murphy

Hal Newhouser

Bobo Newsom

Stubby Overmire

Joe Page

Frank Papish

Marino Pieretti

Nels Potter

Mel Queen

Allie Reynolds

Johnny Rigney

Red Ruffing

Bob Savage

Ray Scarborough

Tex Shirley

Eddie Smith

Charley Stanceu

Dizzy Trout

Virgil Trucks

Jake Wade

Charlie Wagner

Les Webber

Hal White

Bill Wight

Roger Wolff

Early Wynn

Sam Zoldak

Bill Zuber

5/15/2013 10:00 AM

Secondary draft available players

Players available for the secondary draft

Here is the list of secondary players that will be available to fill rosters and allow us to being the league with 24 teams and therefore with 6 divisions, two wildcards and so 8 playoff teams right from the start in 1946.

These players are drawn from four sources: The American Association teams of the 19th century; the Players League which lasted only two seasons; the Federal League of 1914-15; and those players who played ONLY during the World War II seasons 1943-45. To be eligible for this last group, players must not have played MLB at any time (at least must not have a presence in the WIS database) before 1942 or after 1945, and only their 1943-5 seasons will used here. +

The parameters I used to find these players were the following:

For position players, for the American Association and Federal League, players had to have a minimum of 200 PA and a maximum of 400 PA and a batting average of .299 or lower. No .300 hitters among secondary players. For the Players League, the maximum was raised to 550 PA but the other parameters were the same as for the AA and the FL. For the World War II players, I used a minimum of 200 PA and a maximum of 500 PA, and the same max of .299 batting average.  I relaxed these criteria and made exceptions only for two or three Shortstops here and there to insure enough of this key position to go around. There seem to be an unusually large number of catchers. Remember that many of these players have secondary positions as well, which can sometimes make them valuable to a team in our league.

For pitchers, for all leagues and time periods I used the same criteria: a minimum of 50 and maximum of 200 IP and a minimum WHIP of 1.35. No cookies.

The basic standard I kept in mind was this – Would this player or type of player alter significantly the competitive balance in the league or be likely to decide a divisional race ?

These players are intended to be used as bench players, platoons where you have a half time starting regular, as pinch- hitters, as starting players where there are not enough players in our league season with full time PA, as fourth or fifth, or where we are desperate third and fourth starting pitchers, long and middle relievers, and in at least a few cases, though less often as defensive subs. Some of them are good enough to be starting players and you may use them as you like, many are just awful. You may trade them, but no team may keep them beyond the currently played season. They ALL return to the secondary draft pool after each season to re-drafted anew.  We will use them until baseball itself expanded in real life so that we can already begin to reduce the use of them perhaps as early as 1962, reduce them significantly in 1969 and by the following expansions eliminate their use altogether.

These players will be available for all of our secondary drafts, following our ordinary, annual draft of new players and free agents from the American and National Leagues. These players will NOT advance in time, only these player seasons will be available to help fill rosters and positions needed.  Only the specific season listed – identified by the number of PA/162 or IP/162 -  may be used for the player involved.

Players with more than one available season may be drafted only in one player-season iteration in any given draft – thus if Scott Stratton 1889 has been drafted already, Scott Stratton 1888 MAY NOT also be drafted for that same league season, but may be drafted in any other season if another Stratton year has not been previously drafted, in which case the other Stratton seasons are unavailable to also draft for that same season of play. Likewise if the OF version of Famer Vaughn has been drafted already, the Catcher versions of Farmer Vaughn are no longer available for drafting for that season, and vice versa.

Players who played with more than one team in the same season (the definition of a “partial” season) likewise may only be drafted once in any given draft as well –once drafted by one owner and team, that player is no longer available for that season of our league play.

YOU MAY USE ONLY THE PLAYER SEASON WITH THE PA/162 LISTED HERE FOR THAT PLAYER, AND NOT ANY OTHER OF THE SAME SEASON OR ANY OTHER SEASON.

No clones will exist in our league. There will be only one version of any player in the league at any one time in any of our seasons, though which version it is may vary from season to season.

THE PLAYERS LISTED HERE MAY BE NOT REMAIN ON THE TEAMS DRAFTING THEM AS KEEPERS, BUT RETURN TO THE POOL OF AVAILABLE SECONDARY PLAYERS BEFORE EVERY NEW DRAFT. ONLY THE AMERICAN LEAGUE AND NATIONAL LEAGUE MLB PLAYERS FROM THE SEASON WE ARE PLAYING CURRENTLY MAY BE LISTED AS KEEPERS FOR SUCCESSIVE SEASONS.

NO COMPUTER GENERATED AAA MAY BE USED OR TRADED, THOUGH THESE SECONDARY PLAYERS MAY BE TRADED, PROVIDED IT IS REMEMBERED THAT NEITHER TEAM CAN HOLD THEM AS KEEPERS FOR SUCCESSIVE SEASONS.

AL and NL available players – why we need another available pool:

Available Position players

Our League begins in the 1946 season. The available players from MLB for 1946 number:

1946 – American League  -160

1946 – National League -  159

MLB 1946 Total -  319

Further:

There is a low point at the start of the Korean War in 1950:

1950 – AL (138)  plus NL (134)  players  = 272 divided by 24 teams = 11.33 per team.

Available Pitchers

1946 American League – 102

1946 National League – 107

MLB Total 1946 – 209

Low point:

1950 – AL 107 pitchers, NL 90 – MLB total 197 – divided by 24 teams comes to – 8.20 pitchers per team

Secondary Draft Players

Position Players

All seasons

Players League min 200 up to max 550 PA/162 and max .299 BA  - 37

Federal League min 200 up to max 400 PA/162 and max .299 BA - 66

American Association min 200 up to max 400 PA/162 and max .299 BA – 199

AL/NL 1943-45 only min 200 up to max 500 PA/162 and max .299 BA - 55

Total available – 357 plus 272 MLB in 1950 = 629 position players divided by 24 = 26.2 player/yrs. per team

Pitchers

Players League min 50 IP up to max 200 IP with WHIP 1.35 and up – 13

Federal League min 50 up to max 200 IP and with WHIP 1.35 and up – 42

American Association min 50 up to max 200 IP and with WHIP 1.35 and up – 114

AL/NL 1943-45 only min 50 up to max 200 IP and with WHIP 1.35 and up - 57

Total available 189 plus 1950 MLB total of 197 pitchers =386 div. by 24 teams = 16.1 pitcher/yrs per team

Secondary Draft Pool

Player                                   PA/162

Catchers

Nick Allen 1915                      254

Kid Baldwin 1886                   382

Kid Baldwin 1888                   335

Kid Baldwin 1889                   270

Claude Berry 1915                 356

Walter Blair 1915                  333

Frank Bowes 1890                  393

Jack Boyle 1888                     328

Jack Boyle 1890                     495

Jim Brennan 1890                  312

Drummond Brown 1915        265

Willard Brown 1890               302

Doc Bushong 1887                 257

Doc Bushong 1888                 301

Harry Chapman 1914                        215

Harry Chapman 1915            229

Bob Clark 1886                      339

Bob Clark 1887                      224

Bob Clark 1889                      248

Spider Clark 1890                  348

Paul Cook 1887                      284

Paul Cook 1888                      233

Paul Cook 1889                      364

Paul Cook 1890                      288

Paul Cook 1891                      228

Amos Cross 1886                   391

Lave Cross 1887                     261

Lave Cross 1888                     221

Lave Cross 1889                     260

Lave Cross 1890                     318

Con Daily 1890                       226

Law Daniels 1887                   209

Dell Darling 1890                   300

Tom Dolan 1886                    228

Jim Donahue 1887                 296

Jim Donahue 1889                 323

Jim Donahue 1891                 396

Tom Dowse 1891                   256

Jack Doyle 1890                     376

Ted Easterly 1915                  358

Bob Finley 1944                     324

Chris Fulmer 1886                 396

Chris Fulmer 1887                 286

Chris Fulmer 1888                  224

Mike Garbark 1944                344

Mike Garbark 1945                215

Jocko Halligan 1890               285

Bill Hallman 1890                  488

Grover Hartley 1914              250

Jackie Hayes 1885                  210

Bill Holbert 1885                    315

Bill Holbert 1886                    213

Bill Holbert 1887                    320

Charlie Hoover 1889              342

Jim Keenan 1885                    203

Jim Keenan 1887                    224

Tom Kinslow 1890                  312

Grover Land 1914                  373

Grover Land 1915                  324

Deacon McGuire 1888           213

Dave McKeough 1890            318

Doggie Miller 1885                249

Jocko Milligan 1885               395

Jocko Milligan 1886               387

Jocko Milligan 1888               286

Jocko Milligan 1890               321

Dee Moore 1943                    233

John Munyan 1891                 273

Morgan Murphy 1890           327

Jack O’Brien 1885                  362

Jack O’Brien 1888                  257

Paddy O’Connor 1915            256

Tom O’Rourke 1890               222

Frank Owens 1914                 207

Frank Owens 1915                 379

Jimmy Peoples 1885              261

Jimmy Peoples 1887              349

Herman Pitz 1890                  388

Tom Quinn 1889                    257

Tom Quinn 1890                    288

Charlie Reipschlager 1886    291

Charlie Reipschlager 1887    301

Wilbert Robinson 1887          340

Wilbert Robinson 1888          321

Wilbert Robinson 1889          331

Harvey Russell 1914              200

Jack Ryan 1891                      319

Harry Sage 1890                    376

Ken Sears 1943                      212

Mike Simon 1914                   327

Pop Snyder 1885                    230

Pop Snyder 1886                    278

Pop Snyder 1887                    362

Pop Snyder 1888                    300

Pop Tate 1889                                    326

Pop Tate 1890                        386

George Townsend 1888         203

George Townsend 1890         339

George Townsend 1891         275

Jim Toy 1890                          282

Sam Trott 1887                      395

Al Unser 1945                        233

Farmer Vaughn 1890                         218

Farmer Vaughn 1891             308

Joe Visner 1889                      397

Chief Zimmer 1888                288

First Basemen

Joe Agler 1915                       368

Hugh Bradley 1915                260

Charlie Comiskey 1890          466

Paul Cook 1886                      324

Dell Darling 1890                   300

Buck Etchison 1944                367

Clyde Engle 1914                   295

Kerby Farrell 1943                 321

Kerby Farrell 1945                 464

Jim Field 1885                                    335

Jim Field 1890                        279

Guy Hecker 1888                   274

Max Macon 1944                   400

Joe Mack 1945                       323

Al McCauley 1891                  286

Bill McGhee 1944                  324

Mox McQuery 1891               342

Hap Myers 1914                    380

Tom O’Brien 1890                 391

Cy Rheam 1914                      251

Otto Schomberg 1886            364

Milt Scott 1885                      317

Vince Shupe 1945                  326

Skyrocket Smith 1888            290

Harry Swacina 1915               336

Second Basemen

Sam Barkley 1889                  226

Al Bridwell 1915                    221

Jack Burdock 1888                 395

Tony Daniels 1945                 263

Jim Delahanty 1914               269

Tom Downey 1915                 337

Jack Farrell 1915                    275

Joe Farrell 1886                     388

Tom Forster 1885                  347

Tom Forster 1886                  329

Gid Gardner 1885                  271

Frank Hankinson 1888           204

Bill Higgins 1890                    344

Otto Knabe 1915                    392

Charlie Letchas 1944             462

Jack Lewis 1915                     266

Tim Manning 1885                307

Bill McClellan 1888               370

John Meister 1886                 228

John Misse 1914                    388

Yank Robinson 1890               528

Taylor Shaffer 1890               358

Dan Shannon 1890                 527

Ben Steiner 1945                   362

Pete Sweeney 1890                335

Dasher Troy 1885                  279

Fred Vaughn 1945                  313

Third Basemen

Billy Alvord 1889                    232

Billy Alvord 1891                    388     

Ollie Beard 1891                    345

Bill Bradley 1915                   233

Ted Cieslak 1944                    259

Gray Clarke 1944                   205

Ellis Clary  1943                     407

Jumbo Davis 1886                  284

Jumbo Davis 1889                  314

Jumbo Davis 1890                  290

Harry Fritz 1914                     214

Harry Fritz 1915                     283

Jack Gleason 1886                 392

Gil Hatfield 1890                    381

John Irwin 1890                      436

Heinie Kappel 1889                229

Bill Keuhne 1891                    321     

Enos Kirkpatrick 1914                        209

Enos Kirkpatrick 1915                        214

Art Kores 1915                       252

Ty LaForest 1945                    232

Arlie Latham 1890                 505

Hal Luby 1944                        407

John McGlone 1888               272

Phil Reccius 1887                   376

Len Schulte 1945                    499

Glenn Stewart 1944               439

George Strief 1885                267

Pete Sweeney 1889                326

Johnny Tobin 1945                 328

Ned Williamson 1890            361

Tex Wisterzil 1915                 375

Shortstops

Vic Barnhart 1945                  227

Charlie Bastian 1890             380

Ed Busch 1945                        495

Bobby Bragan 1944               303

Al Cihocki 1945                      343

Henry Easterday 1890           395

Jack Farrell 1889                    209

Frank Fennelly 1890               341

Wally Flager 1945                  260

Ed Gagnier 1914                    379

Al Glossop 1943                     265

Pep Goodwin 1915                 276

John Grim 1890                      259

Al Halt 1914                           293

Ray Hamrick 1943                 178

Ray Hamrick 1944                 340

Ed Herr 1888                          224

Joe Hoover 1944                    520

Joe Hoover 1945                    265

Sadie Houck 1886                  332

Arthur Irwin 1890                  495

Jimmy Macullar 1886                        395

Chippy McGarr 1886             334

Tom McLaughlin 1886           333

Bitsy Mott 1945                     339

Marr Phillips 1890                 355

Joe Quest 1886                      204

Johnny Rawlings 1914            309

John Richmond 1885              206

Roxey Roach 1915                 395

Jimmy Smith 1915                 362

Glenn Stewart 1943               401

Bobby Wheelock 1890           260

Bill White 1888                      250

Outfielders

Ed Andrews 1890                   536

Babe Barna 1943                   273

Ed Beecher 1891                    398

Steve Behel 1886                   297

Everett Booe 1914                 333

Ernie Burch 1887                   266

Oyster Burns 1888                 256

Scrappy Carroll 1887             291

Bob Caruthers 1888               384

John Cassidy 1885                  336

Spider Clark 1890                  348

Monk Cline 1888                    387

Cad Coles 1914                      220

Glenn Crawford 1945            368

Ervin Curtis 1891                   280

Law Daniels 1888                   289

Frank Delahanty 1914            332

Jim Donahue 1886                 239

Delos Drake 1915                  397

Billy Earle 1889                      236

Steve Evans 1915                   279

Jim Fogarty 1890                   514

Pat Friel 1890                                    359

Tom Gettinger 1890              298

Ed Glenn 1886                        349

Walt Goldsby 1888                 210

Mike Goodfellow 1888          348

Pete Gray 1945                      272

Ed Greer 1885                                   329

Ed Greer 1886                                   377

Jocko Halligan 1890               285

Bill Hallman 1890                  488

Charlie Hanford 1915                        210

Ned Harris 1943                     433

Paul Hines 1891                     285

Buster Hoover 1886               217

Charlie Hostetler 1944          308

Dick Johnston 1890                415

Charley Jones 1887                323

Al Kaiser 1914                                    228

Joe Kappel 1890                     282

LaRue Kirby 1914                  230

LaRue Kirby  1915                  215

Lon Knight 1885                     320

Fred Kommers 1914              353

Art Kruger 1915                     278

Fred Mann 1887                    305

Max Marshall 1944               266

Babe Martin 1945                  218

Buster Maynard 1943                        449

Jimmy McAleer 1890             473

Tex McDonald 1914               302

Tex McDonald 1915               300

Jack McGeachy 1891             243

Bill McGhee 1945                  297

Jim McTamany 1885             203

Jim McTamany 1891             311

John Meister 1887                 214

Charlie Metro 1944               136

Charlie Metro 1945               246

Candy Nelson 1887                382

Hugh Nicol 1886                    326

Butch Nieman 1943               398

Butch Nieman 1945               311                 

Pat O’Connell 1886                221

Jack O’Connor 1891               284

Paul O’Dea 1944                    209

Paul O’Dea 1945                    280

John Pickett 1889                   254

John Rainey 1890                   240

Hardy Richardson 1891         383

Chief Roseman 1887              309

Mike Slattery 1891                278

Mayo Smith 1945                   264

Joe Sommer 1888                  374

Charlie Sprague 1890                        268

Scott Stratton 1888                322

Scott Stratton 1889                287

Joe Strauss 1886                    365

Lou Sylvester 1886                 289

Adonis Terry 1885                  397

Red Treadway 1944               194

Red Treadway 1945               266

Larry Twitchell 1890              549

Larry Twitchell 1891              291

Farmer Vaughn 1888             233

Curt Welch 1890                    377

Guy Zinn 1914                                    260

Guy Zinn 1915                                    378

Pitchers          189                  IP/162

Dan Adams 1914                    146

Willie Adams 1914                 60

Orie Arntzen 1943                 173

Al Atkinson 1887                    152

Bill Bailey 1914                      136

Jersey Bakely 1891                196

Lady Baldwin 1890                 77

George Bausewine 1889        68

Buck Becannon 1885             128

Ed Begley 1885                      173

Charlie Bell 1891                   102

Harry Billiard 1914                134

Jim Bluejacket 1915               174

Summer Bowman 1891         80

Chick Brandom 1915             54

Ad Brennan 1915                   113

Jack Brewer 1944                  58

Jack Brewer 1945                  171

Joe Brown 1885                     57

Mordecai Brown 1914           61

Cy Buker 1945                                    92

Harry Burrell 1891                 52

Will Calhan 1891                   131

Ben Cardoni 1944                  80

Arnold Carter 1944                157

Arnold Carter 1945                50

Ed Cassian 1891                     108

Rex Cecil 1944                                   65

Ben Chapman 1944               84

Ben Chapman 1945               64

Ken Chase 1943                     166

Dick Conger 1943                  58

Snipe Conley 1915                 91

John Conner 1885                  64

Dick Conway 1886                 95

Billy Cowell 1888                   196

Jack Creel 1945                      92

Cookie Cuccurullo 1944         113

Cookie Cuccurullo 1945         60

Bert Cunningham 1890          134

Ed Cushman 1885                  126

Hugh Daily 1887                    173

Bill Daily 1891                                   153

Frank Dasso 1945                   101

Walt Dickson 1915                 103

John Doran 1891                    149

Jesse Duryea 1891                 120

Frank Dwyer 1890                  82

Jack Easton 1891                    161

Zeb Eaton 1945                      57

Howard Ehmke 1915             58

Ed Eitejorge 1891                  74

Bones Ely 1886                       53

Slim Emmerich 1945             107

Bob Emslie 1885                    197

Duke Esper 1890                    177

Bill Fagan 1888                      175

Alex Ferson 1890                   88

John Fitzgerald 1890              101

Russ Ford 1915                       136

Tom Ford 1890                       84

Buck Freeman 1891               53

Charlie Fuchs 1943                120

Glenn Gardner 1945              58

Steve Gerkin 1945                  111

Bob Gilks 1887                       134

Hank Gornicki 1943               155

Ed Hanyzewski 1943              138

Ed Hanyzewski 1944              62                   

Ben Harris 1914                     166

Clem Hausmann 1944           145

Clem Hausmann 1945           132

Randy Heflin 1945                 108

George Hemming 1890         177

Hardie Henderson 1887         136

Don Hendrickson 1945           79

Pete Henning 1914                149

Ernie Herbert 1914                54

Ernie Herbert 1915                51

Frank Hoffman 1888              128

John Hofford 1886                 96

Byron Houck 1914                  109

Nat Hudson 1889                   72

Mickey Hughes 1889             181

Mickey Hughes 1890             133

Bill Husted 1890                     160

Chief Johnson 1914                149

Johnny Johnson 1945             76

Rankin Johnson 1915             61

Vic Johnson 1945                   90

Matt Kilroy 1891                    74

Matt Kilroy 1887                    128

John Kirby 1887                      128

Ed Knouff 1885                       154

Ed Knouff 1887                       136

Ed Lafitte 1915                       180

Jack Leiper 1891                    54

Ezra Lincoln 1890                   170

Bob Logan 1945                     200

Lou Lucier 1943                     79

Kid Madden 1890                   75

Dan Marion 1914                   94

Ed Mars 1890                         155

Rube Marshall 1915              64

Bobby Mathews 1887            71

Bert Maxwell 1914                76

Al Mays 1889                         165

John McCarty 1889                142

Mike McDermott 1889          99

Willie McGill 1891                 106

Jumbo McGinnis 1886           103

Tom McGuire 1914                139

Larry McKeon 1886               184

Jim Mertz 1943                      124

Bob Miller 1891                     51

Harry Moran 1914                 166

Ed Morris 1890                      183

Mike Morrison 1890              196

Frank Mountain 1885            68

Bill Mountjoy 1885                79

Bob Murphy 1890                  187

Con Murphy 1890                  171

Joe Murphy 1886                   101

Joe Neale 1887                      50

Dave Odom 1943                   58

Ed O’Neil 1890                       84

Emmett O’Neill 1943             62

Emmett O’Neill 1944                         160

Emmett O’Neill 1945             150

Joe Orrell 1945                      51

George Pechiney 1887           107

Charlie Petty 1889                 52

Lee Pfund 1945                      66

Abner Powell 1886                 75

Jim Powers 1890                    50

George Proeser 1888             73

Ewald Pyle 1943                     77

Ewald Pyle 1944                     173

Toad Ramsey 1889                165

Xavier Rescigno 1943            140

Xavier Rescigno 1944            132

Xavier Rescigno 1945            83

George Rettger 1891             111

Bill Sayles 1943                      57

Al Schultz 1914                       184

Billy Serad 1888                     62

Ed Seward 1890                     189

Frank Seward 1944                83

John Shaffer 1887                  137

Gus Shallix 1885                     133

Sam Shaw 1888                      63

Lev Shreve 1887                     192

Elmer Smith 1886                  96

Frank Smith 1915                   160

Phenomenal Smith 1889        53

Rudy Sommers 1914              87

Charlie Sproull 1945              138

General Stafford 1890           121

Charlie Stecher 1890             84

Tom Sullivan 1886                 90

Tom Sullivan 1889                 104

Bill Sullivan 1890                   54

Billy Taylor 1885                    76

Billy Taylor 1886                    90

John Tener 1890                    149

Yank Terry 1943                     175

Yank Terry 1944                     140

Yank Terry 1945                     60

Cannonball Titcomb 1887      127

Steve Toole 1886                   123

Steve Toole 1888                   113

Steve Toole 1890                   88

Sandy Ullrich 1945                 86

Bill Upham 1915                    129

Mysterious Walker 1914       184

Tommy Warren 1944            73                   

Doc Watson 1915                   143

Left West 1945                       80

Jim Whitney 1890                  50

Bill Whitrock 1890                 127

Stump Wiedman 1887           119

Ed Willett 1914                      188

Ed Willett 1915                      56

Walter Wilson 1945               75                

Pinky Woods 1943                  108

Pinky Woods 1944                  180

Pinky Woods 1945                  113

5/15/2013 10:01 AM

Available Ballparks and cities, and team name rules for 1946 Progressive League teams

Any stadium not listed may be used as an alternative site if in existence BEFORE 1946. Other stadiums will become available in the years that they came into use historically. Likewise, teams may move to cities that are not currently listed in the seasons when those cities originally had major league baseball teams after MLB expanded (e.g. Seattle, Denver, Arizona, San Diego, Toronto etc.)

Teams may move from a current city and stadium to any of those listed below that are not currently in use at the time.

Team names must begin with the city, state or region (such as “New England”, “Southern California”, “Great Lakes”, “Ohio Valley” etc.) but owners may then choose any team name they wish so long as they avoid profanity or explicitly vulgar names. But otherwise anything goes – baseball culture is nothing if not kitsch !

National League Stadiums that may be used:

Park                                      City                                       

Baker Bowl                         Philadelphia      

Braves Field                       Boston                

Atlanta Fulton County   Atlanta                               

Candlestick Park              San Francisco                   

Colt Stadium                     Houston

Crosley Field                     Cincinnati

Ebbets Field                      Brooklyn

Forbes Field                      Pittsburgh

Polo Grounds                   New York

Sportsman’s Park III       St. Louis

Wrigley Field                     Chicago

County Stadium               Milwaukee

Memorial Coliseum        Los Angeles

Jarry Park                           Montreal

American League Stadiums that may be used:

Cleveland Stadium         Cleveland

Comiskey Park                 Chicago

Fenway Park                     Boston

Griffith Stadium               Washington

Memorial Stadium          Baltimore

Metropolitan Stadium  Minneapolis

Shibe Park                          Philadelphia

Briggs Stadium                 Detroit

Yankee Stadium I            New York

Municipal Stadium          Kansas City

Sportsman’s Park II        St. Louis

Arlington Stadium           Dallas

Oakland Coliseum           Oakland

Anaheim Stadium           Los Angeles

5/15/2013 10:02 AM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
Space Age Progressive historical thread Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.