What divisions are your teams in? Topic

Posted by alblack56 on 5/11/2013 9:58:00 PM (view original):
Posted by gillispie on 5/11/2013 9:01:00 PM (view original):
Posted by alblack56 on 5/11/2013 5:36:00 AM (view original):
I've been playing since 2004 and have never had a D1 team. I prefer D2 and D3
i always wondered, how do you know you prefer d2/d3, without ever coaching a d1 team?
My coaching idols have always been those coaches, like 'Big House' Gaines of Winston-Salem,  who spend 30+ years at the same small school.   I decided from the beginning that I wouldn't take a D1 job.  
 Later, after I learned more about D1, I was even more sure.  I don't like the recruiting 'tiers' and the disadvantages to the mid-major schools.  So, I'm perfectly content staying at DIIand DIII
interesting. i think you'd like it if you tried it, maybe even more than d2/d3! but probably not (although i guess we'll never know :)

really, d2 and d3 are more fun to coach. its just d1 recruiting that people like. coaching in d1 can be pretty lame.
5/11/2013 10:10 PM
Posted by coach_billyg on 5/11/2013 10:10:00 PM (view original):
Posted by alblack56 on 5/11/2013 9:58:00 PM (view original):
Posted by gillispie on 5/11/2013 9:01:00 PM (view original):
Posted by alblack56 on 5/11/2013 5:36:00 AM (view original):
I've been playing since 2004 and have never had a D1 team. I prefer D2 and D3
i always wondered, how do you know you prefer d2/d3, without ever coaching a d1 team?
My coaching idols have always been those coaches, like 'Big House' Gaines of Winston-Salem,  who spend 30+ years at the same small school.   I decided from the beginning that I wouldn't take a D1 job.  
 Later, after I learned more about D1, I was even more sure.  I don't like the recruiting 'tiers' and the disadvantages to the mid-major schools.  So, I'm perfectly content staying at DIIand DIII
interesting. i think you'd like it if you tried it, maybe even more than d2/d3! but probably not (although i guess we'll never know :)

really, d2 and d3 are more fun to coach. its just d1 recruiting that people like. coaching in d1 can be pretty lame.
For me personally, I think D1 is pretty much a joke right now. I feel like so much success is dependent on recruit generation and just pure luck from early entries. Recruiting is fun to pay attention to, but if you get dealt a ****** enough hand, you legitimately just can't be that successful some years. That bothers me. In Division 2, I just feel like the playing field is kinda even with all the human coaches, to an extent. That's just not the case in high level D1. 
5/11/2013 10:22 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 5/10/2013 9:45:00 AM (view original):
Just kinda wondering.   I have at least one team in all three divisions but am conisidering dropping my D1 team.   I just don't like the inherent inequalities in that system,    Just wondering how other people divide their teams up.
I also have teams in all 3 Divisions, but like you I think Div-1 is too advantageous to the A+ baseline teams.  That coupled with no firing from the high baseline teams means it is a game of the rich getting richer and fairly hard to get a good foothold with a non BCS high baseline team.

I would say that it is possible to do what CUSA is doing in Rupp .. but it is MUCH harder than it should be with the baseline advantage for some teams.

My favorite Division, by far, is Division-2.

5/12/2013 11:01 PM
I enjoy DI, but agree it really depends on recruit generation and how close to you good recruits are. Being in a full Mid major conference can be fun. I am in the IVY in Phelan and we have a full conference now for the 3rd year and it has been a blast. Trying to break into the top 6-7 in RPI is our goal, and have multiple entries into the NT.
I also like DIII, to me it is the most even, and requires the best coaching out of the 3 divisions. Tema prestige plays a much smaller roll in recruiting, so a C- team can battle an A+ team and actually have a good chance at winning the battle.
I like DII the least of the 3. To me it seems like the available recruits to the top DII teams vs. the mid-level DII teams is really large. I mean when an A+ team can get a recruit ranked in the mid 100'a and a D team has a hard time getting a ranked recruit to talk to him it can make it very hard to compete. Not saying it can't be done, just that I do not enjoy the challenge.
5/13/2013 4:24 PM
◂ Prev 12
What divisions are your teams in? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.