5/13/2013 4:01 PM
Agreed. Game still variable, especially because of the passing mechanics. Craven, North Dakota vs West Liberty. Sim 30 games right after final posted and ND won 28 of them, many handily. Lost the actual game.

Focusing on defense formations and game plans to test against it. I have not modified the offense much so not leveraging the passing success and advantages. I know I could do this to win, so not griping about the loss. Testing beta to see if it beta ends up being a one trick pony.

5/14/2013 6:17 AM
Passing is WAY off. Every QB looks like Elway or Manning. I've seen numerous games where combined ydg. of QB's was over 1,500 yds, some close to 2,000...
5/14/2013 8:53 AM
Another side effect of this passing craziness - scoring by quarter may be out of whack. Perhaps it's just my crappy team, but I'm seeing huge swings quarter by quarter.

http://whatif.cincinnati.com/gdbeta/TeamProfile/PlayerRatings.aspx?tid=2125  My crappy DII Cent Miss St team - with 22 frosh and 15 sophs

http://whatif.cincinnati.com/gdbeta/TeamProfile/PlayerRatings.aspx?tid=2132  Mcbethbr's juggernaut DII Southwest Baptist team

I'm running a long pass trips offense and a 5-2/trips balanced defense; mcbeth is running an all bombs passing attack and an outside rushing attack. I ran 120 games. Southwest went 120-0:  average score 84-17: closest game 66-28.

Here's the average points by quarter:
Averages 1 2 3 4 Tot
Southwest Baptist           30.6           13.1           26.9           13.6           84.1
CMS             4.8             3.4             4.9             3.8           16.9

Here are some additional stats by quarter for Southwest Baptist:

1 2 3 4
4 TDs or more 84 4 76 2
1 TD or less 2 32 4 24

Is anyone else seeing this trend?
5/14/2013 9:36 AM
The reason the TD's drop in the 2nd and 4th is that I have a gameplan set to run with 15mins left and winning by X to run out the clock.  This is the same gimmick gameplan that lost to WV State in last season's final.  He stopped it with 4-4 pressuring the QB and basically the same offensive gameplan.  The more intuitive defense that I ran (nickel, long cover, heavy pass) wasn't nearly as effective.

I figure I'll leave the plan out there until the long passing gets adjusted to keep the issue in the public eye.
5/14/2013 11:04 AM
Thanks, mcbeth - sorry for the false alarm - just couldn't figure it out. In thatcase, you should probably be scoring 200 points a game against my turd team.

That said, I did find scoring in the 1st quarter higher when I tested against my own team or against a couple other squads. I'll keep poking around.
5/14/2013 6:18 PM
I also was convinced that passing was off (as you can see by my post above). Not so sure now.  I coach pitt. St. in Argento and played Michigan Tech today. After one half I was down 35-21 and was looking at my first loss in quite a while, so I actually took some time and made some def. adjustments at the half. Mich Tech threw for 345 yards in the first half. They threw for 105 yards in the 2nd and scored 0 points. 0. We completely shut their passing game down and came back to win 38-35.
My point is just maybe, because it's beta, we haven't been putting in the time needed on defense. This at least could be part of the reason the passing numbers have been where they are. More to come in the next few day's as I'm going to continue to do my best to shut the high octane passing games down with some real "D". I guess we'll see!

of 2

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

Popular on WhatIfSports site: Baseball Simulation | College Basketball Game | College Football Game | Online Baseball Game | Hockey Simulation | NFL Picks | College Football Picks | Sports Games

© 1999-2014 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.