Smokey's DDL Cafe (closed for remodeling) Topic

I have modified the Division Assignment post on pg1.
5/2/2013 1:38 PM
I'll take Major League as my second team.
5/2/2013 3:31 PM
Posted by smokey57 on 5/2/2013 4:20:00 AM (view original):
nate, it is clear that you've put alot of thought and work into this and I'll adopt your statagy gladly. Thank you for the input, you've been a great help. I have a clear goal for the league, but I'm open to any suggestions that move us close to achiving the goal. Basicly I had an idea and a very rough plan to start with, the WIS BB community is filling in the details and I appreciate the effort. Vertually (pun intended) any idea that doesn't expand the draft pool will be given objective and serious consideration. Sky, seapilots dh & nate have contributed a great deal, even owners that aren't coming on the maiden run are giving me valuable input. A big "Thank You" to everyone who's helping. 
Thanks smokey, glad to help. Now, who in the hell suggested divisions that put me in with Bird, Magic, Barkley and The Mailman? Oh, that was me.If anyone was wondering if I was secretly suggesting division assignments that would create an easy path for myself, well take at look at this division and there is your answer. However, as you noted smokey these divisions are not biased and even though the draw turned out as it did for me personally I KNOW the process was fair and unbiased, so all I could ask for is a little more luck next time around.
5/2/2013 5:32 PM
I think it will be interesting to watch one's divisions unfold with the draft. Of course I'm easily entertained.
5/3/2013 12:38 AM
Great job on day #1 on the clock. We're done with round #1. Tomorrow starts round #2. I'm drafting in 3 leagues and this one is moving the fastest by far. I'm glad I'm commish, Thx. 
5/3/2013 12:45 AM
Actually smokey it is MUCH more than 'interesting". I'm sure I'm not the only one that will alter his strategy based on what the other teams in his division do. The fact that we play 40 games against the other teams in the division makes trying to build a team specifically to counter what the other five guys are doing a viable way to approach this thing.

On the one hand I'm very happy, since I took Gilmore and none of the other 5 teams went with a C. So I should be able to survive Gilmore's 66D and his just above average rebounding moves up at least one level since I'm not dealing with the likes of The Admiral, Hakeem, or Kareem. 

However, now I have to deal with Bird, Magic, The Mail Man, Reggie and Barkley . I  KNOW that I must draft a good defensive PF, (and with luck as SF/PF) to guard the likes of Barkley and The Mailman. I must also be careful to draft a good defensive player at SG (and again with luck a SG/SF) to deal with Bird and Reggie and likely some Barkley at SF. I may also want to get a little extra rebounding at the G position to counter Magic.

I now KNOW that if I take weak D players at the 2-3-4 positions that these elite scorers will torch my team and Gilmore can go 10 for 15 all day from the field and it won't be enough to win. 

By knowing what players I have to match up against more often I now must not only ask myself "how does this pick fit into my team?' with each pick, but I must also ask "how will this guy address the issues created by players X, Y, and Z?" 

I love this btw, makes the draft feel much more like what teams in RL go through when constructing a roster.

5/3/2013 12:57 AM
I took J Stockton with the 7th pick, on my board he's 15th, so why did I take him 7th? In this league, there are superstars but only a few peerless players at their position. John Stockton has no peer in this league @ PG, he's by far the best PG. That was why I bumped him from 15th to 7th. MJ is peerless @SG, K. Malone is peerless @ PF and M. Malone may be close to peerless @ C. At SF we have Barkley & Bird for me it's a tough choice, therefore SF is not peerless. We may envy these picks, but the price in draft position over the next 2 BB rounds is heavy with high end talent drying up in a limited player pool.
5/3/2013 1:06 AM
In a discussion with sky, I told him I don't care where I land in the draft. I may be quite alone in that perspective. The reason is that I have 3 basic team structures I use depending on where I fall in the draft, and have generally had good success regardless of draft position. Personally I like the late pick stucture the best, it's the one I use when I can take anyone I want. I put these post in just to spark some discussion...comments.
5/3/2013 1:22 AM
Watching the ABBABABABA Draft in action, I think it does a good job balancing. Having fun with both teams
5/3/2013 12:54 PM
nate, I did the division assignment without any real idea of the complexity introduced by giving out division assignments prior to the draft was going to produce. True serendipity. I love the extra dimension this is going to add to the draft and GM/coaching of a team. Very cool...accident or not. WRT parity we are going to achive the goal in spades. The 2nd thing was to make it hard, 2 rounds in I realize it's not hard, it's super hard. Appears we will achive that goal and then some. I said it should make the owners skills shine, this goal is going to be achived beyond my wildest dreams. Another thing was to create teams with flexiblity in lineup and rotation, so owners that can work rotation and lineup are rewarded. Thats why there's no salery cap and I think it's going to work out. There's competetion at so many levels, it's going to tax every bit of your skills. I suppose the unspoken goal was to create a "proving ground" for the WIS BB community. Maybe..we'll see
5/3/2013 8:53 PM
BTW - I will adopt the practice of assigning divisions before the draft in all the DDL leagues. I like the extra dimension it adds.
5/3/2013 8:57 PM
This league is going to make grown men cry!!!   Not just once either...lol        ......my division   ....Tang
5/3/2013 9:18 PM (edited)
May have to rename it the "Crying Game"
5/3/2013 9:12 PM
Smokey, there is no doubt that Bird, Barkley, and The Mailman forced my hand in going with a 28-30 min Rodman this early. Coming into the draft I thought there was a remote chance that he may fall to the 3rd because I figured half the league was doing salary sorts initially to build their lists for the early rounds, but when this division shaped up like it did and Dh went so far down the salary list for Price, I knew it was now or never. We only use 19,680-19,800 minutes (ot factor), so building a team with $72 million in salary and 25,000 plus minutes is not a good strategy IMO, and if there are elite guys in the $4-5 mill range better grab them when you can.
5/3/2013 9:21 PM
Posted by smokey57 on 5/3/2013 1:06:00 AM (view original):
I took J Stockton with the 7th pick, on my board he's 15th, so why did I take him 7th? In this league, there are superstars but only a few peerless players at their position. John Stockton has no peer in this league @ PG, he's by far the best PG. That was why I bumped him from 15th to 7th. MJ is peerless @SG, K. Malone is peerless @ PF and M. Malone may be close to peerless @ C. At SF we have Barkley & Bird for me it's a tough choice, therefore SF is not peerless. We may envy these picks, but the price in draft position over the next 2 BB rounds is heavy with high end talent drying up in a limited player pool.
stockton has no peer?...by far the best pg?....youre outa yer damn mind smokey...im a huge stockton fan and all but theres this fella out there named magic johnson...you should look him up
5/3/2013 9:33 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...12 Next ▸
Smokey's DDL Cafe (closed for remodeling) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.