5/2/2013 3:49 PM
Posted by badaxe on 5/2/2013 2:43:00 PM (view original):
Posted by katzphang88 on 5/1/2013 8:59:00 PM (view original):
Posted by badaxe on 5/1/2013 7:24:00 PM (view original):
So to get a chance at balance, and to guarantee that I am never 100% wrong, I would have to get in a run defense set, and go 100% pass. Makes sense to me.
I don't think that using some contradictive play set up is really what we want. That is again -  gaming the game, which we are trying to get away from.  It may be as easy as adding choices for the DL like the LB have (LINE/COVER). If we have settings for the DL for PASS/RUN we could give them assignments which would influence the first two steps of the play.
I forgot to add /sarcasm.
Sarcasm accepted in certain instance! (sorry that I snarked you in that case). Same dif overall - need some straightforward DEF control.
5/3/2013 11:37 AM
Posted by badaxe on 5/1/2013 7:24:00 PM (view original):
So to get a chance at balance, and to guarantee that I am never 100% wrong, I would have to get in a run defense set, and go 100% pass. Makes sense to me.
Nope.  That's not what is happening at all.  You guys are still looking at this as everything gets mushed into one check on whether the play is successful or not.  In 2.0 you up the pass defense by 1.2 for one setting and decrease it by 0.8 for another, so yes they balance out.  In 3.0, each setting is affecting different things in different ways.  The Cover setting is about where your Safeties line up at the beginning of the play and where they cover on the play.  The formation you use affects what personnel you have on the play, along with the Line setting for the LBs in the formations (and the blitz setting) shapes how many players you send at the line and conversely how many players you have in cover.  The Rush/Pass affects what kind of play you are anticipating and will affect how successful you are at the start of the play.  All of these affect different parts of the play that all play out to see how successful the play is.  The different combination of settings mean different things, so 4-4 Pass Defense IS NOT the same as Nickle Run Defense.

I could see maybe adding another defensive focus which would be Balance which would mean you do not commit either way, so you don't get penalized but you also don't get the best.  This would require 3 boxes for defense play call and add more complexity to the settings, so I'd probably avoid that unless that would satisfy you guys.  Can you at least see my problem with saying a player is committed 70% to the run on a single play?  You can say picking a defense with 70/30 means you could be 100% wrong, but it also means you can never be 100% right.

of 2

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

Popular on WhatIfSports site: Baseball Simulation | College Basketball Game | College Football Game | Online Baseball Game | Hockey Simulation | NFL Picks | College Football Picks | Sports Games

© 1999-2014 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.