Fewest wins for a World Series team ? Topic

Well, we lost that World Series in the SS/HH progressive league - congratulations to twfan and his Bay Bugs, who beat us in 6. 

BUT....

The Philadelphia Weavers won the National League Pennant and played in the World Series after having had a regular season record of 72-90 which went to 73-90 after a division title tie-breaker. 

So, my question: what are the fewest wins for a team that plays in the World Series that anyone here recalls or has had play ? 

About this team and how we made it even that far: (links below)

There was a great three-way race toward the end of the season, three teams with losing records all within a few games of each other. To win the divisions we won 4 straight against the team that had led the division most of the season and then, with 4 games to go split 2 against the other contending team, Teapot Dome and Washington which left them just behind and us in a tie with STEEL CITY, whom we had just swept in 4 to stay alive (we had the division wrapped up in the 8th inning of the last game of the season, but we blew a lead to Teapot Dome and STEEL CITY game back to win). 

So a tie. We win the tie-breaker, 5th straight improbable win against the same team. Then we won in 5 against the 118 win (!) Three Rivers. Then we won in 7 games, winning three straight, after going down 3-1 against a fine Radio City game. 

The need to keep regulars going full tilt without rest, play the tie-breaker and go the distance in two playoffs is why for example Grover Cleveland Alexander was out of IP by the time of Series (see the thread about fatigue in postseason I posted a few days ago). Catcher Wally Schang was at 91% and SS Travis Jackson, who made errors by the basketful in the post-season at 93% and sinking. These were all stars of the team. 

So winning the series was unlikely. But we gave it our best shot. 

The league is MLB104161. 

Here is the team: 

http://www.whatifsports.com/mlb-l/playerstats.asp?teamid=1175594

4/7/2013 5:06 AM
I repeat the question: 

Has anyone had a team make the World Series with fewer than 73 wins  ? 
4/8/2013 6:45 AM

4/8/2013 6:45 AM
Maybe you'd get a response if you asked it in the form of a haiku. That seems to get people going around here.
4/8/2013 9:01 AM
I don't think I've seen a team with that few make it to the world series. 80 is the fewest wins any of my teams have made the WS with.
4/8/2013 11:03 AM
Here you are boogerlips: 

Seventy-three wins
A tie-breaker included
 Series team - beat that ? 
4/8/2013 5:59 PM (edited)
Well, I think I have given this enough of a chance: No one has come forward with any tales of low-win WS teams. I take it that I now hold the record for the fewest wins ever in the regular season for a team that made it to a WS ?

Take that o great wizened masters of fatigue !

Still haven't won a championship, but that is appropriate for a manager who takes a team that lost 90 games within two wins of taking it all. Manager of the Year maybe?
4/12/2013 4:06 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
I like how a guy who has won a grand total of 2 non-OL WS is going to try to teach us what "people that win" know.  Especially after, when we had this debate a year or 2 ago, most of the people who disagree with you had MANY more titles than you.  Some of them 50+ WS titles.
4/14/2013 7:53 PM
"People that win" don't win 76 games.
4/14/2013 10:08 PM
Seriously, you're going to challenge me to a league the first two words in the name of which are "An OL?"  Come out of your comfort zone a little bit.  I mean seriously.  I'll let you pick the theme since playing in a league that requires actual thought to build the team is in my wheelhouse, but you have to pick something that isn't an OL.  I mean honestly...  4 of the 5 teams showing in your profile have '08 Joss.  Most of them have a Cravath and a Ruth, several Ho-Jos in there, and all kinds of other cookies.  How is it that copying and pasting from everyone else's OL rosters is a challenge for you, but themes that actually require you to seek out useful players are not?  That's the stupidest comment I've seen in a while.  Did you actually think I'm dumb enough to buy your playing off themes as "not a challenge" when you obviously just aren't willing to deal with a challenge and have no idea how to win without Addie Joss and your batch of stale cookies?
4/18/2013 5:28 AM
12 Next ▸
Fewest wins for a World Series team ? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.