I guess I just don't understand here? Is internet accessibility on your cell having it do everything for you? It's designed for internet access. I would also think anyone who has a cell without internet access probably has a cell made prior to 2000 or if they don't have a cell at all, probably they don't have a job or home either? The fact is most smartphones require data plans now so internet comes with the package.

What's wrong with wanting an app (if it works right)? Is that the lazy part? I guess if you prefer to write letters than sending a text message then maybe you would think having internet on the phone is lazy and you're so entitled to that opinion, but honestly today our phones are capable of doing so much I don't see why a person is lazy for wanting an app for HD.  
4/1/2013 3:33 PM
It's kind of silly that we refer to these devices as "phones", actually.  They're computers.
4/1/2013 4:02 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Sorry guys!  I thought this would be a good thread, especially after Commissioner said it is on their roadmap.  I will take part of the blame.  I should have just ignored the "lazy" comment.

But back to the subject at hand, I thought Tarvolon had a great comment about having the app for recruiting.  If they can figure that out it would be very useful.  I think it would be used quite a bit for the Coach's Corner and Forum also.  What would you like to see in an app, and would you use it?
4/1/2013 6:48 PM
Posted by emy1013 on 4/1/2013 4:22:00 PM (view original):
Posted by reddyred on 4/1/2013 3:33:00 PM (view original):
I guess I just don't understand here? Is internet accessibility on your cell having it do everything for you? It's designed for internet access. I would also think anyone who has a cell without internet access probably has a cell made prior to 2000 or if they don't have a cell at all, probably they don't have a job or home either? The fact is most smartphones require data plans now so internet comes with the package.

What's wrong with wanting an app (if it works right)? Is that the lazy part? I guess if you prefer to write letters than sending a text message then maybe you would think having internet on the phone is lazy and you're so entitled to that opinion, but honestly today our phones are capable of doing so much I don't see why a person is lazy for wanting an app for HD.  
"If they don't have a cell at all, probably they don't have a job or home either?"  Really?  Having a cell phone is now a pre-requisite to owning a home or being employed?  I wonder if you even realize how arrogant and condescending that sounds?
emy honestly do you know anyone that doesn't have a cell? It's not a pre-requisite for owning a home duh... but there are even programs now where you can get a free cell phone with the basic works. so no it's not condescending or an arrogant statement, it's simply the truth and the point is most everyone has a cell. no need to sound the alarms. 
4/1/2013 7:03 PM
This type of post pops up once a month or so... I'm a Sr. Mobile Developer, built plenty of iOS/Droid apps for my company.  I offered to help WIS out in this area a while back (6 months or so), never got a response (sarcastic surprise face goes here).

Assuming they had an API framework built already that I could get access to and documentation for with all the necessary calls, I could fairly quickly knock an app out that'd probably make some of the more tedious uses like recruiting and game planning from your mobile device easier.  If I had to write the whole service library back end it'd obviously take longer.  I was working on some storyboards and basic flows for an app when I first started looking into it, but given the lack of interest on WIS behalf, it was just a waste of time.  I could write something HTML based, but it'd be crazy slow and just a bad experience... you'd be better off dealing with the site.  I was working on app back in October or so that would perform mass recruiting actions and had it mostly working through HTML, so I know it's possible given their site structure, but the response time on everything being completed was horrid due to all of the extra logic I had to throw in for every action.
4/1/2013 7:19 PM
Posted by rednation58 on 4/1/2013 7:03:00 PM (view original):

"If they don't have a cell at all, probably they don't have a job or home either?"  Really?  Having a cell phone is now a pre-requisite to owning a home or being employed?  I wonder if you even realize how arrogant and condescending that sounds?
emy honestly do you know anyone that doesn't have a cell? It's not a pre-requisite for owning a home duh... but there are even programs now where you can get a free cell phone with the basic works. so no it's not condescending or an arrogant statement, it's simply the truth and the point is most everyone has a cell. no need to sound the alarms. 
Reddy, I live in southeastern Kentucky in what probably wouldn't be considered a metropolitan area, so to answer, yes, I know plenty of people who don't have cell phones.  For one, even with the best plans and providers, the coverage in our area isn't necessarily the best.  Sporadic would be an appropriate description I think.  I have one, but I only get a signal for about half the drive from my job to my house.  Other than that, I may as well be in Siberia, probably get a better signal there.  Point being, that there are alot of people around here who don't waste their money on having a cell phone when they can't use it about half the time anyway.
4/1/2013 10:20 PM
Posted by ryrun on 4/1/2013 7:20:00 PM (view original):
This type of post pops up once a month or so... I'm a Sr. Mobile Developer, built plenty of iOS/Droid apps for my company.  I offered to help WIS out in this area a while back (6 months or so), never got a response (sarcastic surprise face goes here).

Assuming they had an API framework built already that I could get access to and documentation for with all the necessary calls, I could fairly quickly knock an app out that'd probably make some of the more tedious uses like recruiting and game planning from your mobile device easier.  If I had to write the whole service library back end it'd obviously take longer.  I was working on some storyboards and basic flows for an app when I first started looking into it, but given the lack of interest on WIS behalf, it was just a waste of time.  I could write something HTML based, but it'd be crazy slow and just a bad experience... you'd be better off dealing with the site.  I was working on app back in October or so that would perform mass recruiting actions and had it mostly working through HTML, so I know it's possible given their site structure, but the response time on everything being completed was horrid due to all of the extra logic I had to throw in for every action.
That's interesting, Ryrun! I would have thought that an app with a user-friendly recruiting tool might be difficult.
4/1/2013 10:48 PM
Posted by emy1013 on 4/1/2013 10:20:00 PM (view original):

Reddy, I live in southeastern Kentucky in what probably wouldn't be considered a metropolitan area, so to answer, yes, I know plenty of people who don't have cell phones.  For one, even with the best plans and providers, the coverage in our area isn't necessarily the best.  Sporadic would be an appropriate description I think.  I have one, but I only get a signal for about half the drive from my job to my house.  Other than that, I may as well be in Siberia, probably get a better signal there.  Point being, that there are alot of people around here who don't waste their money on having a cell phone when they can't use it about half the time anyway.
Point noted emy, but I think my point in that post went beyond one sentence that was singled out of a 2 paragraph post. I live in NYC and most everyone has a cell. Even the people who live in upstate NY where signals are also dismal. There may be alot of people out there who are in the situation you describe and voluntarily choose not to have cells, but the vast majority of people in the USA do have cell phones regardless of coverage, like yourself. That one sentence was not meant to be arrogant or condescending but stated to support my point that the desire to have an app for WIS is a more than reasonable request and isn't in the slightest bit a lazy desire. 
4/1/2013 11:16 PM
Back in my day, we re-enacted fake college basketball you lazy fecks!
4/2/2013 12:16 AM
Posted by reddyred on 4/1/2013 11:16:00 PM (view original):
Posted by emy1013 on 4/1/2013 10:20:00 PM (view original):

Point noted emy, but I think my point in that post went beyond one sentence that was singled out of a 2 paragraph post. I live in NYC and most everyone has a cell. Even the people who live in upstate NY where signals are also dismal. There may be alot of people out there who are in the situation you describe and voluntarily choose not to have cells, but the vast majority of people in the USA do have cell phones regardless of coverage, like yourself. That one sentence was not meant to be arrogant or condescending but stated to support my point that the desire to have an app for WIS is a more than reasonable request and isn't in the slightest bit a lazy desire. 
Fair enough Reddy, I think we're actually quibbling over nothing anyway.  I'm not against an app for WIS by any means, never was.  The way you worded that sentence earlier just kind of rubbed me the wrong way I guess.  No worries, I don't feel that wanting an app is lazy by any means.  As someone pointed out earlier (now THAT'S lazy, not even going back to look who said it initially), an app is for some and isn't for others.  For those who don't want to use one, don't.  For those who would like one and would have one available to use, great!  To each their own, right?  :^)
4/2/2013 12:39 AM
For those that understand this better than I do...

How does a tool like yatzr's exist, which can pull all recruits and even perform mass recruiting? And could that concept be utilized in creating an app without the need for WIS to create it? It seems like we can already get the info, but just need to reduce the yatzr program to an app format (I understand its not nearly that simple, but conceptually).

4/2/2013 11:02 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...7 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.