DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

"Attraction is irrelevant..."

One last time.  Your attraction is not a choice.  This is the argument.  This is the "propaganda" you're thinking of.  You don't choose who you are attracted to.

Is who you have sex with a choice? Yes.

THREAD CLOSED

4/18/2013 10:31 AM
Tru dat. Bis didnt choose to be bi. It's not his fault he wants to go both ways.
4/18/2013 11:57 AM
A question for biz:

If a man is sexually attracted to other men (and not at all sexually attracted to women), but never acts upon it, is he gay or just asexual?
4/18/2013 11:59 AM
Piggy backing on Tec's question, if your sexuality isn't determined until you actually choose to have sex, no one is born straight, correct?
4/18/2013 12:02 PM
One last time.  Your attraction is not a choice.  This is the argument. 

I agree with that argument - attraction isn't a choice.

My point is that attraction DOES NOT determine your sexual status - YOUR ACTIONS DO.

You can be attracted to whoever you want and yet choose actions contrary to that if you wish. That's why the actions matter.

This is the "propaganda" you're thinking of. 

NO.

The propaganda is the idea that your status is determined by attraction rather than by your actions, which is absurd on the face of it.

The logic doesn't work. If it did, we'd be arresting people for entertaining the thought of committing crimes rather than for taking action to do so.

Great. Since that's what determines your sexual status, you agree sexual status is a choice. Excellent.

THREAD CLOSED

You don't get to make that determination.

Tru dat. Bis didnt choose to be bi. It's not his fault he wants to go both ways.

Now you're intentionally trying to be ignorant because I already told you I'm not bisexual.

4/18/2013 12:03 PM
Your ACTIONS are brought on by your ATTRACTION in 99.9% of sexual encounters.  You're splitting hairs for the sake of being argumentative.
4/18/2013 12:08 PM
And that's a good point, was I neither straight nor gay until I had sex?
4/18/2013 12:09 PM
I don't know bis, you seem to think that anyone could just choose to be gay or straight. That probably makes you bi even if you don't want to admit it.
4/18/2013 12:09 PM
Your ACTIONS are brought on by your ATTRACTION in 99.9% of sexual encounters.

This may or may not be true, but even assuming it is...

Just because a vast majority of people use the same reason for making the choice doesn't make it any less of a choice in the first place.
 You're splitting hairs for the sake of being argumentative.

No, I'm not. I'm merely pointing out that the presence of a choice isn't somehow deleted because a large number of people use the same criteria for making the choice.
And that's a good point, was I neither straight nor gay until I had sex?

No one but you could make a determination until you had romantic and/or sexual encounters with someone else, and the only way you might have known is if you had intentions of having those relationships which were not yet realized. Even then there is nothing to substantiate it.

It's kind of like if you think someone might be a criminal but you don't know until they take a criminal action. They're not somehow arrested because they were thinking about it.
I don't know bis, you seem to think that anyone could just choose to be gay or straight. That probably makes you bi even if you don't want to admit it.
First, yes, anyone could choose to be gay or straight. You choose your romantic and/or sexual partners. No matter who you are attracted to, you could always choose to ignore that and be involved with someone other than your preference, so it is a choice.

Second, you keep insisting that I must be bisexual when I've not only told you otherwise but there is no reason at all for you making this suggestion.

If you want to say I'm bisexual because I think people can choose, then you're also saying that everyone else in the world is bisexual as well - since I'm saying EVERYONE can choose, not just me. So I guess according to YOU, we're all bisexual
4/19/2013 8:46 AM
Posted by bad_luck on 4/18/2013 12:02:00 PM (view original):
Piggy backing on Tec's question, if your sexuality isn't determined until you actually choose to have sex, no one is born straight, correct?
How about this, bis?
4/19/2013 10:11 AM
A criminal is not a criminal until they commit a crime.

Using your logic, I'm not straight until I have a sexual encounter with someone with the opposite sex.  Yes?
4/19/2013 10:11 AM
How about this, bis?

No one is born straight, gay, bisexual, or anything else in terms of sexual status. In fact, until you reach an age where you become sexually aware, you can't even determine who you might choose, let alone who you actually do choose to be with.

You can't determine your status until you take romantic and/or sexual actions with other people. You can determine attraction, but that's the point - they're NOT the same thing.
Using your logic, I'm not straight until I have a sexual encounter with someone with the opposite sex.  Yes?
It doesn't have to be strictly a sexual encounter, although it could be. It could also be a romantic relationship or encounter.

By the way, this isn't "my" logic - it's just logic. Unless you'd like to argue that a criminal is a criminal BEFORE they ever commit a crime, and I'm all ears if you want to try for that argument.

4/19/2013 10:51 AM
OK, fixed my wording.

"A criminal is not a criminal until they commit a crime.

Using your logic, I'm not straight until I have a sexual or romantic encounter with someone with the opposite sex.  Yes?"
4/19/2013 11:25 AM
Posted by burnsy483 on 4/18/2013 10:31:00 AM (view original):
"Attraction is irrelevant..."

One last time.  Your attraction is not a choice.  This is the argument.  This is the "propaganda" you're thinking of.  You don't choose who you are attracted to.

THREAD CLOSED

Yeah, OK.
4/19/2013 11:32 AM
Using your logic, I'm not straight until I have a sexual or romantic encounter with someone with the opposite sex.  Yes?

You still need to fix the wording. Here, I'll do it for you:

Using logic, no one can be established as straight, gay, bisexual or any other sexual status until they have a romantic and/or sexual encounter with someone else.

Attraction can be established, but that is NOT the same thing, no matter what the propaganda may tell you.

4/19/2013 11:36 AM
◂ Prev 1...78|79|80|81|82...358 Next ▸
DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.