DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Putting aside the ridiculous argument that sexuality is a choice, why shouldn't gays be allowed to marry?
4/16/2013 11:58 AM
Posted by bistiza on 4/16/2013 11:49:00 AM (view original):
I love chicken parm.  I hate eggplant parm.  Eggplant parm makes me nauseous.  Am I making a choice that I hate eggplant parm?  No.  I could make a choice to eat eggplant parm (or have gay sex) and possibly vomit in the process, yes.  But no reasonable person would do that.

Are we cleared up now?

No.

It seems like you're agreeing that it IS a choice, but are also saying some people are so set in certain of their physical preferences in mates (such as gender) to the extent that they would not reasonably choose anything other than their personal preference.

If that's what you are saying, I agree with that assessment - everyone evaluates different things when making choices, including sexual preferences, and there's nothing wrong with that.
Yes, I'm arguing that the vast majority of people are certain they are attracted to either males or females.  They would not reasonably choose the other gender because their preference is so much towards the gender they are attracted to.  I cannot imagine a situation would I would prefer eggplant parm to chicken parm.  As I said before, it is a choice only in the most literal sense.
4/16/2013 12:04 PM
Putting aside the ridiculous argument that sexuality is a choice, why shouldn't gays be allowed to marry?

Sheer logic says you choose who you are with romantically and/or sexually. Even you haven't argued against that, so it's absurd to suddenly declare it "ridiculous" when even YOU can't find an argument against it.
Yes, I'm arguing that the vast majority of people are certain they are attracted to either males or females.  They would not reasonably choose the other gender because their preference is so much towards the gender they are attracted to.  I cannot imagine a situation would I would prefer eggplant parm to chicken parm.  As I said before, it is a choice only in the most literal sense.

A choice is a choice. You can't just declare that it's somehow not a choice because some people or even many people use the same metrics for making that choice.
4/16/2013 1:00 PM
Who cares? Why shouldn't we allow gays to marry?
4/16/2013 1:23 PM
I care that people recognize sexuality is a choice because I'm tired of the propaganda campaigns that LIE and say otherwise.

I think the term "marriage" should be reserved to mean a union between a man and a woman. If people want to marry someone of the same gender, give it another term. Civil union is fine with me, but if they want something else, fine, just call it something else to distinguish it from a natural marriage. My reason for this is primarily because I want people to know that when I say I'm married, I don't mean to another man.

4/16/2013 1:26 PM
Yes, sexuality is a choice, just like choosing to bash your head in with a hammer is choice.  In the most literal sense, yes.

Would I ever want to sleep with a man? Probably not.  Would I ever want to bash my head in with a hammer? Probably not.
4/16/2013 1:30 PM
Yes, sexuality is a choice, just like choosing to bash your head in with a hammer is choice.  In the most literal sense, yes.

No, the comparison isn't accurate. 

Being in a romantic and/or sexual encounter with someone whose physical features aren't your preference isn't going to cause you any more physical harm than someone who is your preference. You may not enjoy it as much, but the fact that they aren't your preference doesn't by itself cause you physical harm.

If you think it's that drastic to consider being with someone you don't prefer that you compare it to bashing your head in with a hammer, someone mentioned therapy, and you might need it for that kind of issue.
4/16/2013 1:40 PM
Posted by bistiza on 4/16/2013 1:26:00 PM (view original):
I care that people recognize sexuality is a choice because I'm tired of the propaganda campaigns that LIE and say otherwise.

I think the term "marriage" should be reserved to mean a union between a man and a woman. If people want to marry someone of the same gender, give it another term. Civil union is fine with me, but if they want something else, fine, just call it something else to distinguish it from a natural marriage. My reason for this is primarily because I want people to know that when I say I'm married, I don't mean to another man.

That seems like a silly reason to deny someone the right to marry. Especially since gay marriage is already legal in several states and multiple countries. No one thinks you're married to a man now, do they?
4/16/2013 1:46 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 4/16/2013 1:30:00 PM (view original):

Would I ever want to sleep with a man? Probably not.  Would I ever want to bash my head in with a hammer? Probably not.
What if they brought you some eggplant parm?
4/16/2013 1:49 PM
That seems like a silly reason to deny someone the right to marry. Especially since gay marriage is already legal in several states and multiple countries. No one thinks you're married to a man now, do they?

I don't care what you think "seems like a silly reason."

The more prevalent homosexual marriage becomes, the more people may question the nature of my marriage. I don't want that, so I'm against homosexuals calling it "marriage". Period.
4/16/2013 1:53 PM
Posted by bistiza on 4/16/2013 1:40:00 PM (view original):

No, the comparison isn't accurate. 

Being in a romantic and/or sexual encounter with someone whose physical features aren't your preference isn't going to cause you any more physical harm than someone who is your preference. You may not enjoy it as much, but the fact that they aren't your preference doesn't by itself cause you physical harm.

If you think it's that drastic to consider being with someone you don't prefer that you compare it to bashing your head in with a hammer, someone mentioned therapy, and you might need it for that kind of issue.
I feel that a sexual encounter with a man might cause me physical harm, if you know what I mean. (ha..ha)

Take out the hammering, and replace it with eating eggplant parm then.  It's almost definitely something that I would never choose to do.
4/16/2013 2:02 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/16/2013 1:49:00 PM (view original):

I'd vomit on them.
4/16/2013 2:02 PM
Posted by bistiza on 4/16/2013 1:53:00 PM (view original):

I don't care what you think "seems like a silly reason."

The more prevalent homosexual marriage becomes, the more people may question the nature of my marriage. I don't want that, so I'm against homosexuals calling it "marriage". Period.
So, just so we are clear, me thinking your homophobia is silly, not ok.

Me thinking that you are bisexual (and I still think that's a strong possibility) because it would, according to you, be easy for you to just choose to have sex with men, not ok.

You thinking that everyone else on earth could just choose to be attracted to a member of the same sex as easily as you, ok

You being so scared that allowing people in committed, loving, and legal relationships to marry might make others wonder if you are gay, and using that homophobia as justification for denying gay couples that right, ok.

You are a piece of work.
4/16/2013 2:05 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 4/16/2013 2:02:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/16/2013 1:49:00 PM (view original):

I'd vomit on them.
Why do you hate gay people?

Or do you think that enjoying getting puked on is part of the gay experience?
4/16/2013 2:14 PM
Take out the hammering, and replace it with eating eggplant parm then.  It's almost definitely something that I would never choose to do.

Okay, but you could still choose to do it if you wanted to do so.
So, just so we are clear, me thinking your homophobia is silly, not ok.

Here you go with the ridiculous labels again. There is no homophobia on my part. I simply do not want there to be any confusion as to the state of my marriage.
Me thinking that you are bisexual (and I still think that's a strong possibility) because it would, according to you, be easy for you to just choose to have sex with men, not ok.

You only think it's "a strong possibility" because you somehow don't get the relatively simple concept of choice. Your ignorance of choice doesn't somehow change my sexual status.

In fact, if you argue that I'm bisexual because I have a choice, then EVERYONE is bisexual, because everyone has the same choices.
You thinking that everyone else on earth could just choose to be attracted to a member of the same sex as easily as you, ok

I see what your problem is now - you think it's about me, and it never was. I only used myself as a hypothetical example. I might as well have said "Mr. X" or named anyone. None of this has ever been about me personally, and yet you assumed (incorrectly, as so often happens) that it was.

I am not attracted to a member of the same sex easily. I never have been, and I probably never will be. But just like anyone else - including you - I could choose to be with someone of the same gender if I so desire.
You being so scared that allowing people in committed, loving, and legal relationships to marry might make others wonder if you are gay, and using that homophobia as justification for denying gay couples that right, ok.

I'm not scared of anything. I just want to avoid any confusion.

Stop trying to fit people into a box and label them. It's really annoying and offensive, and you've tried to do it to me repeatedly.
You are a piece of work.

Why?

Because I don't want to be labeled as something I'm not?

Because I want to make sure people don't buy into the LIE that sexuality is anything other than a choice?

Because I want to avoid confusion regarding the status of my marriage?

You're absolutely ridiculous if you don't think I have every right to all three of those beliefs.
4/16/2013 2:18 PM
◂ Prev 1...76|77|78|79|80...358 Next ▸
DOMA & Prop 8 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.