Team D v. Team efg% Debate Topic

What??? I could, but I don't even have 1 spreadsheet, the only stat's I've crunched, I've done in my head. I don't even keep roster of my winnig teams, I've never brought a champion team twice. I intentionally don't keep stat's, as I said "I'm considered good at it" in RL. So, I wonder at you calling me "the worst", what is your reasoning behind that remark? 
3/28/2013 9:57 PM
you dont know who youre talking to about what at this point do you? it's fine dont sweat it - I was actually complimenting you in a way
3/28/2013 10:00 PM

STATEMENT - I did not intend to point any finger at anyone!!! I apologize if I unintentionally offend anybody, I was truly thinking of other cyber games. It would be a "good thing" if we stayed on subject.  Again no finger pointing was intended. Sometimes I'm frank to a fault.

3/28/2013 10:04 PM
Im going to say this with no ill will, and only the gentlest of amusement - you are completely confused regarding the flow of the conversation - there is no beef here
3/28/2013 10:06 PM
Oh, OK, my bad...well thanks. Obviously I missed something...not necessarily surprising
3/28/2013 10:10 PM
Your right felonius, I didn't know what I was talking about, nothing like missing 4-5 post to screw up one's perspective.  Sorry bud!
3/28/2013 10:15 PM
Look...there is no need to run models, etc, etc.  Ash has already done all the work that needs to be done.  His conclusion is obvious in all of his teams: 
1. High eFG, moderate defense, high rebounds, high 3's is the best combination of stats.  Sly and Ash both went to the EOL finals with this setup.  

2. High defense-low 3's:  I use this setup a lot.  MIGHT make the playoffs, but always get bounced.

3.  A low defense team is pointless.  There are enough good offensive players with avg to high D that you'd be crazy not to use them.

The biggest question for me right now is the 130+assist% setup.  Can this make up for a lack of all other stats?

3/28/2013 10:25 PM

Any thoughts on the Jabbar phenom? I would welcome other points of view.  What would account of an almost  20% rise in FG%. Trust me I would love to get a handle on this effect. I would like to tell you I have it figured out, but I don't. I'm hoping I'm on the right track. Any help with this is appreciated.

3/28/2013 10:26 PM
Badja, Tang had a very successful team in the PPL that appears to support that conclusion. His FG% was terrible ~47%, but he had great boards and monster assist with a strong def. I kept waiting for the low FG% to catch up with him, but it seem's it didn't. I found this puzzling. That said, he did have trouble with my high def / no 3's team that shot 51%FG. I've only been @ WIS a short while, but I have 3 ship's using a high def, no 3's team. I believe I'm getting more competative as of late. It could also be that I'm getting better at designing my teams, or the SIM is more receptive to this approach. Don't know???
3/28/2013 10:42 PM
I once had a colleague discribe me as beening like a "dog with a bone"...can you imagine that? Personally I thought, "we've work together too long & he knows me too well"!   ;-)
3/28/2013 11:48 PM
Posted by smokey57 on 3/28/2013 10:26:00 PM (view original):

Any thoughts on the Jabbar phenom? I would welcome other points of view.  What would account of an almost  20% rise in FG%. Trust me I would love to get a handle on this effect. I would like to tell you I have it figured out, but I don't. I'm hoping I'm on the right track. Any help with this is appreciated.

Are you referring to the All-time basketball association again? I can't remember if you had Jabbar in that league or not..

But if you did.. those teams are terrible and Jabbar is one of the two dominant players in the league.. it is not a surprise that his stats would be amazing.. You can't compare progressive league stats/trends to open league or draft league stats and trends. You can win progressive titles with Dominique Wilkins as your best player.. he doesn't even get drafted in any other format.. ever.
3/29/2013 12:03 AM
It's the absence of parity in the prog league that makes them a good place to examine the effects of offensive & defensive stratagies. Because the parity of the open & theme leagues dilute the effect. The difference between the best and the worse in a classic 1970's prog league is tremendous, so when you bring a heavy def to a no def league its easier to see the statistical effect. When the parity get high as in this league it's a matter of inches not miles that decide a championship. So, give that there's only 1 ball & 48 minutes if you can increase a teams effeciency you can gain an advantage, therefore if you can increase the FG% by 2% on 3-4 players on your team, you increase your efficiency and the chance that you'll win. I am begining to think the ast/rbs ratio is a good indicator of efficiency and some how is responsible for driving up FG%.
3/29/2013 1:08 AM
"It's the absence of parity in the prog league that makes them a good place to examine the effects of offensive & defensive stratagies."

Really, I don't buy this. In progressives in general everything is watered down and most team's in the league aren't built with ideal strategies in mind. You just get the best players you can.. you would like the perfect sim players but it doesn't always happen. You are playing most of your games against what are just bad teams in the sim. Outside that progressive they wouldn't win games in almost any other league. You aren't matching up excellent shooting teams versus good defensive teams.. you are matching up a couple teams with 50 million in salary versus 10 teams with 40 million in salary and 10 teams lucky to have enough minutes to even play games.

This is especially true of that 70's league which has like 10 competent players in the whole league. You have a giant advantage having the most efficient scorer in the entire sim in a league full of bad defenders and bad teams struggling to find minutes to compete.

" The difference between the best and the worse in a classic 1970's prog league is tremendous, so when you bring a heavy def to a no def league its easier to see the statistical effect."

This is VERY confounded information due to team salary differences.. I don't think you can find anything significant here as the teams simply aren't balanced. If you are bringing that Heavy D .. and Kareem .. that's 2 good things for your team.. in a league where most teams have trouble reaching the usage floor.. Yeah, that's gonna lead to success.. but I don't think you can draw too many conclusions from that. If you have a team great at anything important.. EFG%/DEF/REB.. its a big advantage over a bunch of teams that aren't good at anything.

----
The only thing I can guarantee you about most progressives.. not the PPL.. the correlation between team salary and team W's would be very high!

3/29/2013 1:34 AM (edited)
It could also have to do with distribution of ast. I like Lanier because he gives me a 139ast% @ center. Now from a basketball point of veiw this allows me to feed the post and collapse the defense, then feed the ball back to a perimeter shooter who has an increased chance of a uncontested shot. That would result in a increase of FG%. Or maybe not...
3/29/2013 1:39 AM
smokey....any stats from a progressive league dont relate to this league....at all

3/29/2013 1:49 AM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
Team D v. Team efg% Debate Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.