OT- Coaching Carousel Topic

Loyola, MD, has promoted assistant G.G. Smith
4/12/2013 3:52 PM
Posted by alblack56 on 4/7/2013 7:56:00 AM (view original):
CBSsports lists Jim Crews as the St. Louis coach, without the interim designation.  Did the school hire him permanently? I've not seen anything about it.

Rutgers is primarily interested in just one coach....Danny Hurley of Rhode Island
Jim Crews has been named the Billikens' head coach.

http://www.slubillikens.com//ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=27200&ATCLID=207181460
4/12/2013 6:13 PM

Reportedly, the reason that Flip Saunders turned down the Minnesota job is because the A.D. wouldn't let him pick his own assistants.  Apparently, Saunders wanted to hire his son.

The Gophers' new coach, Richard Pitino, however, has no such restrictions.   He's already hired his assistant from Florida International.  Kimitri Young spent a year in federal prison after being busted with 96 pounds of pot.  He's been very forthcoming about it and regularly presents anti-drug speeches to schools and youth groups.

4/13/2013 3:40 AM (edited)
Posted by Iguana1 on 4/12/2013 6:13:00 PM (view original):
Posted by alblack56 on 4/7/2013 7:56:00 AM (view original):
CBSsports lists Jim Crews as the St. Louis coach, without the interim designation.  Did the school hire him permanently? I've not seen anything about it.

Rutgers is primarily interested in just one coach....Danny Hurley of Rhode Island
Jim Crews has been named the Billikens' head coach.

http://www.slubillikens.com//ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=27200&ATCLID=207181460
Thanks for the update.

Crews previously was the head coach at Evansville for 17 years and Army for 7.  Army fired him 3 weeks before the 2009-10 season began for unknown reasons, just  "a series of events' according to the A.D.
4/13/2013 3:45 AM

From NBC:

Hey, you. Yes, you. Have you ever wanted to be a basketball coach for a Division I program?

Here's your chance.

American University released a statement Friday that reads like an advertisement in the classifieds, asking for "nominations, recommendations, and expressions of interest" to help fill the role recently vacated by Jeff Jones, who left AU after 13 seasons to coach Old Dominion.

The Parker Executive Search firm is leading the search. If you or anyone you know is interested, contact Daniel Parker at [email protected] or 770-804-1996, x-116.

4/13/2013 3:47 AM
G.G. Smith, the new coach at Loyola, MD, is the son of Tubby.

Interestingly, he was an assistant at Tennessee Tech while his wife, Lorie was in medical school. When she got a residency in Honolulu, he quit coaching and taught high school health in Honolulu.  When Lorie took a position in Savannah, he became an assistant at DII Armstrong Atlantic. When she moved to Johns Hopkins Hospital, G.G. got a job as assisting coach at Loyola, MD.
4/13/2013 5:43 PM (edited)
Florida International has hired Norfolk State coach Anthony Evans. 

4/16/2013 9:17 AM
4/17/2013 3:54 PM
Rutgers has reportedly reached an agreement with Eddie Jordan, assistant coach of the Lakers. He previously was the head coach of Sacramento, Washington, and Philadelphia of the NBA.  He was Rutgers star in the 90's
4/18/2013 12:43 PM
Posted by alblack56 on 4/18/2013 12:43:00 PM (view original):
Rutgers has reportedly reached an agreement with Eddie Jordan, assistant coach of the Lakers. He previously was the head coach of Sacramento, Washington, and Philadelphia of the NBA.  He was Rutgers star in the 90's
He starred at Rutgers in the 70s, Al.  Either you're not as old as I am, and can't remember all the way back to when he was Fast Eddie Jordan, point guard for Rutgers' Final Four team, or you're older than I am and your memory isn't as precise as it once was.
4/18/2013 12:47 PM
that's a 31-0, 4th ranked Rutgers team that made the Final Four in '76.
4/18/2013 9:45 PM
Norfolk State has named their assistant, Robert Jones, as the interim coach for 2013-14.

Niagara has hired Chris Casey from DII LIU Post
4/20/2013 5:21 AM
Stephen F. Austin has named Brad Underwood, South Carolina asst., as their new coach.

That leaves only 5 or 6 schools without coaches:
American
Chattanooga
Fairleigh Dickinson
Lipscomb
South Carolina St.
UNC Asheville

South Carolina St. has been coached by an interim since February and, presumbably, will retain him for 2013-14. But I've been uable to verify it
4/23/2013 2:53 PM
Fairleigh Dickinson has hired Greg Herenda, the coach at DII UMass Lowell. 

UMass Lowell is moving to D1 and the American East Conference in the fall so I've added them to my coaching vacancy list.
4/24/2013 5:11 PM
The three finalists at UNC Asheville are Billy Taylor, recently fired at Ball State:   Asheville assistant Nick McDermitt; and Charlotte assistant Ryan Odom. Odom's father, Dave, formerly coached at Wake Forest and South Carolina.
4/24/2013 5:15 PM
◂ Prev 1...5|6|7|8 Next ▸
OT- Coaching Carousel Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.