So, what do we make the flags out of? Topic

I saw someone on the foxsports comments after the pro bowl say "why can't every game look like the pro bowl" and be completely serious about it. the NFL has made one decision that makes that more of a reality then I  would ever want. The "crown of the helmet" rule is going to be flagged alot. The NFL gave an example of Jim Brown as a runner that never lowered his head. Well, he and Eddie George were the only two effective running backs that never lowered their head because they ran the ball standing up! 

More reactionary rules to try to prevent law suits in the future that frankly are alot like suing a race track for more then what the track insurance will give you in the case of injury at the track after being warned on the ticket of the dangers. Maybe even as ridiculous as someone allergic to peanuts eating a bag of peanuts on an airplane causing a "caution contains nuts" warning on a bag already clearly marked as peanuts. 
3/21/2013 10:10 AM
Next up, full back leading blocking with head contact. 
3/21/2013 10:18 AM
The way the rule is described makes sense.  The RB shouldnt be allowed to lower his head to barrel over a defender.  And it's only called outside the tackle box, in the open field, if I understand it correctly.  The problem I have is that the refs are going to screw this up and throw flags in situations where they shouldn't be.  The way they handle roughing the passer and defenseless receivers is evidence of this.
3/21/2013 10:28 AM

USE THE  DEAD TEABAG PARTY'S "DON'T TREAD ON ME" BANNERS

3/21/2013 10:28 AM
I don't know if it's going to be what you think it is.

In short, the ballcarrier can't use his helmet as a weapon much like a LB/DB can't.   And he can still lower his head at the line of scrimmage.

There aren't a lot of Larry Csonkas left in the NFL.   RB tend to stiff arm or go out of bounds when running in the open field.
3/21/2013 10:31 AM
Actually, noah makes a great point.  The fullback's only job is to go through the hole and destroy the first thing he sees, by any means necessary.  Not even the refs watch the fullback.  It's a dirty *** job.  Maybe they'll outlaw it.

I don't care about the head rule because yes, as it's written, it makes sense.  The refs will **** it up, plain and simple.

3/21/2013 10:31 AM
So, if lead blocking fullback rules are changed, three people lose their jobs?   How many teams even have a fullback?
3/21/2013 10:33 AM
Any time anyone lowers their pad level, they lower their head. Chances of this being officiated well is slim to none and slim is an illusion. 
3/21/2013 11:49 AM
It's legal in the trenches. 

As for officiating, yes, it will likely be a mess for quite awhile.   However, after a few straight up RB get blown up by a LB 7 yards downfield, I think we'll see another change.
3/21/2013 1:55 PM
Biggest joke of a rule that has EVER been implemented into the NFL (NO FUN LEAGUE). ******* SERIOUSLY...an RB can't drop his head when he's about to get PLASTERED outside of the box or a little bit downfield. The "protection" **** in football has got to just STOP already. This league used to be for warriors who played the game with guts and grit and KNEW the cost of that physically. Now it's turning into FLAG ******* FOOTBALL.
3/22/2013 11:38 AM
You can drop your head, you just can't use it as a battering ram to try to run over defenders.  If it's policed in this way, I'm ok with the rule, but I'm afraid it won't be.
3/22/2013 12:23 PM
Posted by rsp777 on 3/22/2013 11:38:00 AM (view original):
Biggest joke of a rule that has EVER been implemented into the NFL (NO FUN LEAGUE). ******* SERIOUSLY...an RB can't drop his head when he's about to get PLASTERED outside of the box or a little bit downfield. The "protection" **** in football has got to just STOP already. This league used to be for warriors who played the game with guts and grit and KNEW the cost of that physically. Now it's turning into FLAG ******* FOOTBALL.
Blame the old "warriors" who are wearing out the NFL with lawsuits. 
3/22/2013 12:30 PM
Posted by rsp777 on 3/22/2013 11:38:00 AM (view original):
I don't know. The league has a real problem with head trauma. And that's a problem that could impact their license to print money.

I question how much of this change is genuine concern for player safety and how much is a CYA move, but I don't question that allowing players to use their heads as battering rams is a bad idea.
3/22/2013 12:33 PM
If getting injured is a major concern in your life, playing football is a bad idea.
3/22/2013 12:43 PM
Make them sign waivers as they enter the league, and then just let them play.  I understand the unlikeliness of that, but it would solve problems.
3/22/2013 12:53 PM
12 Next ▸
So, what do we make the flags out of? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.