ODL LXII Team Rosters & Commentary Topic

dh your 52 mil team will be fine. It's +3 on scoring but has a losing record. Your turnovers should come down to around 20 a game, too. I'd be shocked if it didn't make the playoffs. I think your only real mistake was being so light on defensive rebounding for a 52 mil league - your Oreb is great but you don't miss enough shots for it to help you that much, haha
3/18/2013 2:32 PM
Posted by tadmand on 3/18/2013 10:20:00 AM (view original):
Thanks felonius.  Never heard of funky52 or the big band theory.  Would never try to overwhelm an opponent with assists anyways.  I prefer metrics that are not subject to law of diminishing returns like efg% and defense. This is first draft league I have entered (other than EOL which was team draft and not individual player draft) and I find it very fascinating.  From a beginners perspective, it seems fairly important to draft players who give you the good flexibility (multipositional). This allows the owner to later draft the best player available and not draft for a specific position. It also gives the owner more options to experiment and determine his best lineup while the league is in play. That's my opinions anyways.  

The Big Band Theory ?

I think the Big Band theory relates to the end of the 'Swing Era' in post WWII America. Many assume it had to do with the costs of travel and keeping together such large ensemble units. I don’t know if I buy that as the death knell of the Big Bands. I think the ramp up to the U.S. involvement in WW2, created a huge need for diversion, and the return of troops lead to them looking to settle down and start a family. With Sinatra breaking away and going solo before 1946,, that seemed to be the beginning of the end as many stars went solo and relied on recordings as their main source of money instead of touring, also the fact that Glenn Miller was killed over the English Chanel also removed a major player in Swing. 

PS : an opportunity to be silly, not giving you a hard time Tad...
Im somewhat of a newbie myself, so you have me to beat up on....

3/18/2013 3:40 PM
Posted by dh555 on 3/18/2013 2:22:00 PM (view original):
Posted by ashamael on 3/17/2013 9:35:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dh555 on 3/17/2013 9:12:00 PM (view original):
top 5 pg still out there and rondo gets the nod.....now hes prob gonna go to ash...awesome
cp3, magic, kidd, stockton...

there are 3 names at PG that shouldn't be available right now.  There's also some really good guys at other positions I can't believe are still there... we'll see what happens!

billups was #5 imo.....love that guy
I knew who you were talking about... and yes, I almost took him.

~~~Hey Nate, this is the follow up to the earlier discussion~~~

He was also the guy I was talking about earlier when I mentioned a point guard who always outperformed his RL numbers.   While Billups would still only shoot in the 42-44% range, he'd always give you 200+ threes and shoot over 50% from 3pt land.  The reason for this was that 3 pointers were getting double bonus from running up-tempo and for ast% bonuses.  This has been fixed somewhat, however.  I'm not sure if it was intentional or unintentional, but when WIS fixed the "bug" that allowed jlg to shatter the team 3pt% records, three point shooting in general has decreased dramatically.  It's still an important stat, but a guy like Billups who has an efg% at 51% will actually perform around 51% instead of near 60%.

3/18/2013 4:09 PM
Posted by smokey57 on 3/18/2013 12:53:00 PM (view original):
Pushing any stat significantly past pmax, just waste $$$. You can draft 70rpg, but pmax is about 55rpg, so you'll just waste money drafting 70 boards per game. That is the definition of diminishing returns..right?
the 150% assist guy is seeing a push of 15-20% over IRL fg%s

but as in anything you have to be willing to give up something else - one of this guy's team's names was something along the lines of 'you dont need rodman if you dont miss' so guess what he gave up on? and I think he won 60+ games

as for my 52m 100% as% team they have plenty of everything but fg% which was only fair to middling (efgs of 50-53) IRL
3/18/2013 4:46 PM (edited)
a little shocking to see 3 guys still available late in the 2nd round
3/18/2013 7:34 PM
well, one of the big shockers to me just went... Oscar finally gone.  I was really tempted to take him in round 2.
3/18/2013 7:47 PM
Never used the Big O before, not sure which season makes the most sense yet.
3/18/2013 7:58 PM
yep, he was the main guy i was referring to... would have been forced to take him... glad i do not have to now

i love that 2700 min season of his
3/18/2013 7:58 PM
I personally like the 54% efg season... but it's kinda low on assists (22%)
3/18/2013 8:07 PM
I used Oscar alot when I first started on WIS, but he dribbled the ball off his foot one too many time's.(lol)  He's the only guy I've seen do that in the pbp. I consider 1 TO & 1 PF per 10 minutes of floor time acceptable. But my PG dribbling off his foot...no, no, no!
3/18/2013 11:18 PM
Just kidding around mikee, Oscar's a good pick. You might want to watch your PF's now or you'll end up with a team that beats itself...
3/18/2013 11:29 PM
Posted by tarheel1991 on 3/18/2013 1:00:00 PM (view original):
For the life of me, I don't understand why everyone insists on Garnett being a SF. I agree in general that it's usually best in the rebounding battle to push a guy further out toward the perimeter if you can, but the problem is that Garnett's best seasons aren't SF-eligible. Yeah, 02-03 Garnett is good, but the best Garnett season is 05-06, which has plenty good rebounding for a PF and is much more efficient than his SF seasons. Also, salary matters in this league, so it helps to save a little for the bench. I've seen plenty of promising ODL drafts torpedoed by plunking too much money down for the first 2-3 picks and causing 1500-3000 minutes to be played by stiffs.
IMO, Garnett's seasons that aren't 100% at SF aren't worthy of a 1st round pick in this league.
3/19/2013 12:00 AM
I really like GArnett's 07-08 season... just not 1st round worthy.  I don't care for any of his other seasons despite what he can bring you at the 3.
3/19/2013 12:51 AM
I would use Oscar's 55 EFG% season at PG even with the somewhat low assists. He can be pushed up in this league to 46 or 47 mpg and you almost don't have to worry about a backup. You can still get some dimes with your SG pick later on.
3/19/2013 1:46 AM
Garnett's 05-06 is absolutely first-round worthy (probably in the 18-24 range, I'll admit) on my board. Great Dreb%, very efficient, great assists, low turnovers and fouls for an 80 defense big man. His SF seasons are less efficient - if I'm going to take a high-usage centerpiece in the 1st round, I'd like him to be more efficient than an efg% of around 50% or so. I took Garnett in the 1st round last ODL and won my division and lost in 7 in the conference finals.
3/19/2013 10:19 AM
◂ Prev 1...3|4|5|6|7...20 Next ▸
ODL LXII Team Rosters & Commentary Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.