Career Progressive Draft - 1901 Topic

gigrant, i saw your list of eligibility revised. I drafted Jennings in the 1st round because the link from this site indicated he played through 1918 and that is ths basis on which i had him rated so high. i wouldn't have drafted him if i had thought he would be only available through'02.
3/8/2013 8:22 PM
I think at worst Hughie should be eligible for 1903. He had 19 plate appearances, while that is not a lot, I don't consider that in the realm of pinch hitting midgets.
3/8/2013 8:44 PM
I guess I should have asked investigated a little more thoroughly or asked questions before drafting him
3/8/2013 9:34 PM
Got to watch for the player/manager types. I've been checking guys by just drafting an open league and setting the dates 1901 to 1901. Did this only after I checked Billy Hamilton. Oops.

Anyway, when selected, you see all his years listed. Then, if I saw a low ip or pa in the later years, check him out at the baseball reference or Wikipedia.

Much easier now with the dates added to the eligible player list.
3/8/2013 9:46 PM
Posted by deafheaven on 3/8/2013 9:46:00 PM (view original):
Got to watch for the player/manager types. I've been checking guys by just drafting an open league and setting the dates 1901 to 1901. Did this only after I checked Billy Hamilton. Oops.

Anyway, when selected, you see all his years listed. Then, if I saw a low ip or pa in the later years, check him out at the baseball reference or Wikipedia.

Much easier now with the dates added to the eligible player list.
i did the same.  Printed Grants draft list the went to each player and wrote down how long they play.  It should be noted that more than one guys sits multiple seasons and then comes back for sigmificant PA/ip.
3/8/2013 10:10 PM
I still think the easy way to do this is if a player doesn't qualify in a season 1901, or 02, or whatever, that player should not be allowed to play in the season we are drafting rookies from....next year would be 02.  and if a guy appears, then he should be okay to go.  There are a lot of rookies who get very few ip/Pa their first season and we are not discussing if they should be eligible.  And some of them don't appear in the bigs again for several years......can you  say Joe Nuxhall, Cecil Fielder, or any number of guys who got there start in the federal league.?
3/8/2013 10:18 PM (edited)
i would be okay if gigrant decides eligibility for seasons, but now i realize this is information we should have before starting the draft
3/8/2013 10:25 PM
sorry for the delay.  i would've wanted to chime in earlier on this.  but this is exactly why i wanted to address the issue ASAP and sent out that email.  WIS generally requires 30 or so PAs or IPs to show up as elgible.  i wanted this league to allow for players who held out a season for $$ or went to war or whatever to be elgible, from the beginning to end of their careers.  Jennings was 49 in 1918 and had one at bat.  in the 15 years after 1903 he had exactly 9 at bats.  there was no way he was going to elg until1918.  he & McGraw made me nervous, so i sent out the email.  the responses i got suggested an appearance minimum or if WIS elg.  i have seen enough WIS errors to take the bull by the horns and make a list on my own, which is what i did.

stlnathan - i encourage you to dump Jennings now and make a different pick before we continue the draft.  i don't want anyone getting screwed out of one of their first 2 picks.  anybody else who wants to do so can do the same.  this really should've been addressed earlier, but i honestly didn't see it coming until yesterday.  hence the revised list with retirement years - now there's no confusion.  but it's my fault for not seeing it earlier.

good news is this is the only road bump we will be facing.  the black sox will still get banned so don't get your hopes up w/ Cicotte & Jackson, and the Babe will still eat a lot of hot dogs.  i allowed for A LOT of players to have uninterupted careers (look for the *) and i also cleaned up a few grey areas regarding 49 year old pinch hitters (look for the ^).  there are very few studs who got an extra year, as they were to good to not play.  but some role players will have extra life and that should help out.  plus it allows for some extra players for those years and will help keep us from needing AAA too much.

i want rosters to be equal/even, so we will all have the same low budget scrubs to fill out our rosters - Angel Salazar & Jack Sharrot ($200k each).  if we need a third one it'll be the cheap pitcher Fisher for $225k or whatever.  having these scrubs will be extra insurance against the salary cap as well (i still don't see anyone bumping up against that).

please remember - the first season is always the weird one.  after that we know what to expect. 
3/8/2013 11:34 PM
that Sam Leever pick ****** me off.  FYI.  he was my next pick.
3/8/2013 11:35 PM
Well I'd like to change my Hamilton pick but I won't since it wa my own dumb-*** fault for not checking his years or being organized at that point. *hangs head in shame*
3/9/2013 12:00 AM
i respect you a lot deaf.  but that pick had my mouth wide open.  i decided you had a "win now" plan.  plus there was no confusion on him.  he was never seen again after 1901 in the big leagues.
3/9/2013 12:06 AM
gigrant, we think alike. i had leever targeted next also. thanks for the gesture, but I think if I dropped jennings now it would be unfair to someone who might have wanted him but now don't have a pick coming up. Besides, it appears there is a shortage of quality shortstops available in this draft and 3 others are already off the board. I will keep Jennings and chalk it up to bad draft strategy(I'm sure it won't be the last time). However, if you could extend his eligibility through '03 as magj suggested, i would be appreciative.
3/9/2013 12:20 AM
Who starts a league in my favourite players retirement year? Lol

BTW, you guys following Red's prospect Billy Hamilton. That's my kind of player. Caught a flyball at the warning track while paying ss. Also tagged up at third on a pop out to 2b and scored. Apparently this guy runs on everything. He's Vine Coleman with a 300 avg and 400 ob. He's being converted to an of now. Should make his MLB debut at some point this season.
3/9/2013 12:22 AM
Deaf, if your season tanks you could swap Keeler to a contending team for another player or a draft pick right? So maybe not all that bad a pick if that is allowed.
3/9/2013 12:23 AM
Check out Jennings Wiki page. Ee Yah! Lol.
3/9/2013 12:26 AM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7|8...23 Next ▸
Career Progressive Draft - 1901 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.