SURVIVOR XII: Ahrens Crowned Champion Topic

Posted by repas on 3/13/2013 11:57:00 PM (view original):
Posted by csudak on 3/13/2013 11:36:00 PM (view original):
Posted by repas on 3/13/2013 11:31:00 PM (view original):
Posted by ahrens on 3/13/2013 11:26:00 PM (view original):
Also, is there really any integrity in a Survivor game in which all the participants cannot see each other, except by what they post on a message board about sports?
I FULLY AGREE.  Use all the tools at your disposal.  Integrity has no place in this game.  For some it does.  It is a free for all.  Play by reputation.  Play dirty.  Do what you need to gain an advantage while you are playing.  But when you aren't playing, and you have been voted off -- follow the rules.

If you don't like ALIAS's then make if a FRACKING RULE.  NO ALIAS'S of ANY TYPE.  Didn't see that rule posted.

11) Only one moniker per person. Those violating this rule will be caught and tied to a post for all others to throw stones at. Since many people have left GD after the past update, I will not require having a GD Team to play. However, winning championships in GD is still a form of immunity so those with a GD team will have an advantage.
Before i did this i read the rules.  And not just the rules for this season.  I saw that rule in the rules last season and players did this.  It was my interpretation that rule was meant for one person playing as two different participating players.  Not for a person taking a stealth identity to post or sitemail.
Your interpretation is most likely correct, however, I really hate when people do what you do, and here is why. 

In the real game of survivor, your not gonna have some guy walking around the island with a mask on talking or participating in the game without knowing who it is.  Now granted, this is an internet game played for fun, and I'm not really getting bent out of shape about this, but I do think there should be some level of fairness when it comes to the idea that gameplay/information/talking specifics of the game should be limited only to the players participating in the game.

While someone like dubs or arfy who are not playing can comment on things because that is generally just speculation, someone like you can comment on things that may in fact be true, but by "repas" exposing those things, it doesn't come back to haunt you.

While this is not goinng to be realistic, I do feel like there should be some honor amongst thieves when it comes to things like that.  I mean what's the point of playing if you are not going to have some level of integrity.  It really is the same exact arguement everyone had with golfpro last year.

3/14/2013 12:08 AM
Look if i was in your position i would probably see things the way you do.  But i am not in your position.

If this game were to be the closest thing to the real game of Survivor then all players should be starting equally.  Without any advanatages including past knowledge of other players, or arriving on the island with friendships and agreements before the game even starts.  But that is not possible in this online world.

What i suggest for the future is the following.

2 games.  One for newbies.  One for vets.  After the newbies have played their newbie season, they can join the vet game the next season.  Or get a promotion/invite to play on Kingpin Island after proving their mettle in the kiddy sandbox.  Either way only named players can play in the Bigs.  Known players with known ID's.  And then you could probably rule out all stealth behavior, because things would be more fair as knowledge about the game is "somewhat" more equal.  A natural level of honor among theives would probably even emerge, because its unlikely you could practice a scorched earth policy and still have a loophole back into the game in disguise.

No open registration.  Whomever is running the game ONLY takes private sitemail requests for partiicipation.  And if 16 people are going to play then take as many entrants as possible (like 3x).  Then randomly select who will be playing.  Not everyone will be able to play every season.  Luck of the draw.  Start the game without warning by immediately assigning players to tribes.  That is the closest thing we can get to reality - everyone scrambles at the same time and you are totally unprepared for who you will be playing with -- both in your tribe, and across tribes.   Because no, people do not walk around the Island wearing masks on Survivor.  But also (insert your number here) guys do not show up having played together for the last (insert number here) seasons.  That is the best that can be done to avoid the newbie lamb to the slaughter carnage.  Let us green on our own Survivor Jr. Island before we are ready for the Bigs.

3/14/2013 12:36 AM (edited)
Posted by csudak on 3/14/2013 12:08:00 AM (view original):
Also, is there really any integrity in a Survivor game in which all the participants cannot see each other, except by what they post on a message board about sports?
I FULLY AGREE.  Use all the tools at your disposal.  Integrity has no place in this game.  For some it does.  It is a free for all.  Play by reputation.  Play dirty.  Do what you need to gain an advantage while you are playing.  But when you aren't playing, and you have been voted off -- follow the rules.

If you don't like ALIAS's then make if a FRACKING RULE.  NO ALIAS'S of ANY TYPE.  Didn't see that rule posted.

11) Only one moniker per person. Those violating this rule will be caught and tied to a post for all others to throw stones at. Since many people have left GD after the past update, I will not require having a GD Team to play. However, winning championships in GD is still a form of immunity so those with a GD team will have an advantage.
Before i did this i read the rules.  And not just the rules for this season.  I saw that rule in the rules last season and players did this.  It was my interpretation that rule was meant for one person playing as two different participating players.  Not for a person taking a stealth identity to post or sitemail.
Your interpretation is most likely correct, however, I really hate when people do what you do, and here is why. 

In the real game of survivor, your not gonna have some guy walking around the island with a mask on talking or participating in the game without knowing who it is.  Now granted, this is an internet game played for fun, and I'm not really getting bent out of shape about this, but I do think there should be some level of fairness when it comes to the idea that gameplay/information/talking specifics of the game should be limited only to the players participating in the game.

While someone like dubs or arfy who are not playing can comment on things because that is generally just speculation, someone like you can comment on things that may in fact be true, but by "repas" exposing those things, it doesn't come back to haunt you.

While this is not goinng to be realistic, I do feel like there should be some honor amongst thieves when it comes to things like that.  I mean what's the point of playing if you are not going to have some level of integrity.  It really is the same exact arguement everyone had with golfpro last year.

While there is no rule against using an alias as your username, I completely agree with csudak's post.  In the actual game of Survivor, a real player cannot assume a fake second identity and talk to the other members of their tribe (or members of competing tribes).  A real player also cannot communicate a series of conversations to all of the players in other tribes (ie. copying and pasting conversations on the thread).  This was funny at first, but has now been taken out of control.  Obviously, I don't have any control over what gets posted on the forums and I'm not going to DQ people for posting on the forum....but some of these posts have been ridiculous and childish.  PLAY THE GAME LIKE IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE PLAYED...if you want to vote somebody out, find a way to secure those votes instead of posting personal attacks on a forum!
3/14/2013 12:45 AM
So as a Survivor newbie host, I'm having trouble copying and pasting a Microsoft Word document onto the thread.  I keep getting an error message.  If anybody has tips for this, let me know.  All of the picks are in.  I wanted to post which participants selected which teams.  For now, I'll post the number of times teams were selected by each tribe...I'll try to get more detailed info up tomorrow.

ADIDAS (# of times selected - there should be 16 for each conference)
Big 10: Indiana (7), Michigan State (5), Ohio State (3), Minnesota (1)
ACC: Duke (8), Miami (7), NC State (1)
SEC: Florida (7), Kentucky (7), Arkansas (1), Ole Miss (1)
A10: St. Louis (7), Temple (7), Butler (1), Xavier (1)
Big 12: Kansas (8), Kansas State (6), Baylor (2)
TB1: Georgetown
TB2: 147
TB3: 136

NIKE:
Big 10: Indiana (8), Ohio State (5), Michigan (2), Michigan State (1)
ACC: Duke (8), Miami (8)
SEC: Florida (8), Kentucky (6), Missouri (2)
A10: St. Louis (6), VCU (4), Butler (3), Temple (3)
Big 12: Kansas (8), Kansas State (6), Baylor (1), Oklahoma State (1)
TB1: Georgetown
TB2: 146
TB3: 137

UNDER ARMOUR
Big 10: Indiana (5), Michigan (3), Michigan State (3), Ohio State (3), Wisconsin (1), Iowa (1)
ACC: Duke (6), Miami (4), UNC (3), Virginia (2), NC State (1)
SEC: Florida (5), Missouri (4), Ole Miss (3), Alabama (2), Kentucky (2)
A10: St. Louis (5), Temple (3), Butler (3), VCU (3), LaSalle (2)
Big 12: Kansas (6), Oklahoma State (5), Kansas State (2), Baylor (2), Iowa State (1)
TB1: Louisville
TB2: 129
TB3: 129

3/14/2013 1:03 AM
Posted by repas on 3/14/2013 12:36:00 AM (view original):
Look if i was in your position i would probably see things the way you do.  But i am not in your position.

If this game were to be the closest thing to the real game of Survivor then all players should be starting equally.  Without any advanatages including past knowledge of other players, or arriving on the island with friendships and agreements before the game even starts.  But that is not possible in this online world.

What i suggest for the future is the following.

2 games.  One for newbies.  One for vets.  After the newbies have played their newbie season, they can join the vet game the next season.  Or get a promotion/invite to play on Kingpin Island after proving their mettle in the kiddy sandbox.  Either way only named players can play in the Bigs.  Known players with known ID's.  And then you could probably rule out all stealth behavior, because things would be more fair as knowledge about the game is "somewhat" more equal.  A natural level of honor among theives would probably even emerge, because its unlikely you could practice a scorched earth policy and still have a loophole back into the game in disguise.

No open registration.  Whomever is running the game ONLY takes private sitemail requests for partiicipation.  And if 16 people are going to play then take as many entrants as possible (like 3x).  Then randomly select who will be playing.  Not everyone will be able to play every season.  Luck of the draw.  Start the game without warning by immediately assigning players to tribes.  That is the closest thing we can get to reality - everyone scrambles at the same time and you are totally unprepared for who you will be playing with -- both in your tribe, and across tribes.   Because no, people do not walk around the Island wearing masks on Survivor.  But also (insert your number here) guys do not show up having played together for the last (insert number here) seasons.  That is the best that can be done to avoid the newbie lamb to the slaughter carnage.  Let us green on our own Survivor Jr. Island before we are ready for the Bigs.

The newbies made it to the end last season!
3/14/2013 1:13 AM
I like turtles.
3/14/2013 1:15 AM
My name is Charles Foster Kane, I ran a New York Newspaper, dedicated to giving the people the truth. You can't have love because there is no true love. However I was caught up in a scandal, which made many people dislike me. I live at the Xanadu-damn you Bill Gates for building 2.0. I have a pretty pimp stash, if you don't believe me, look me up. Who is John Galt?
3/14/2013 4:51 AM
3/14/2013 4:56 AM
And can talk to members on the other tribe and make alliances.
3/14/2013 8:14 AM

What golfpro did last season was evil and wrong, and as I said at the time, he should not be allowed to ever play again. As it says in the rules, and I wrote it. You are playing each other, not the rules themselves. You should respect the spirit of the rules.

What you are doing with this alias is the same. You should stop.
3/14/2013 8:40 AM
HORVIE:

Right click in the box, say paste, it should pull up a box that allows you to post in a box to put it up. That's what I have to do in chrome, not sure it helps you.
3/14/2013 8:44 AM
Posted by dublinuf on 3/14/2013 8:40:00 AM (view original):

What golfpro did last season was evil and wrong, and as I said at the time, he should not be allowed to ever play again. As it says in the rules, and I wrote it. You are playing each other, not the rules themselves. You should respect the spirit of the rules.

What you are doing with this alias is the same. You should stop.
I have already posted that i was done.  But may respond to additional issues raised about this.

So lets be clear on this...........

IF shoe21 is an alias AND he did it in a pre-meditated manner with other players to intentionally gain an advantage in this game how should that be handled (assuming we have the ability to prove it -- or someone from the group comes forward to acknowledge it) ?

3/14/2013 9:13 AM
This is entertaining!  Ratings should do well this season!!!!! lol
3/14/2013 11:56 AM
Not sure if this helps any, probably will with scoring

ADIDAS                    NIKE                    UNDER ARMOUR
3X INDIANA (7)   3X INDIANA (8)   3X INDIANA (5)
5X MICH ST (5)   5X MICH ST (1)   5X MICH ST (3)
4X OHIO ST (3)   4X OHIO ST (5)   4X OHIO ST (3)
      6X MICHIGAN (2)   6X MICHIGAN (3)
11X MINNESOTA (1)            
            6X WISCONSIN (1)
            11X IOWA (1)

3X DUKE (8)   3X DUKE (8)   3X DUKE (6)
3X MIAMI (7)   3X MIAMI (8)   3X MIAMI (4)
7X NC STATE (1)         7X NC STATE (1)
            6X VIRGINIA (2)
            5X UNC (3)

2X FLORIDA (7)   2X FLORIDA (8)   2X FLORIDA (5)
4X KENTUCKY (7)   4X KENTUCKY (6)   4X KENTUCKY (2)
11X ARKANSAS (1)            
6X OLE MISS (1)         6X OLE MISS (3)
      6X MISSOURI (2)   6X MISSOURI (4)
            8X ALABAMA (2)

3X ST LOUIS (7)   3X ST LOUIS (6)   3X ST LOUIS (5)
5X TEMPLE (7)   5X TEMPLE (3)   5X TEMPLE (3)
8X BUTLER (1)   8X BUTLER (3)   8X BUTLER (3)
10X XAVIER (1)            
      3X VCU (4)   3X VCU (3)
            6X LASALLE (2)

2X KANSAS (8)   2X KANSAS (8)   2X KANSAS (6)
4X K STATE (6)   4X K STATE (6)   4X K STATE (2)
6X BAYLOR (2)   6X BAYLOR (1)   6X BAYLOR (2)
      5X OKLAHOMA ST (1)   5X OKLAHOMA ST (5)
            8X IOWA STATE (1)
3/14/2013 12:48 PM
If he is playing twice, sure. If he just doesn't want to carry the baggage from other places into this game, then I don't see the problem. In any case, if it isn't a new player, and that was his goal, it's hurt him, because he has more attention drawn to him by this.
3/14/2013 1:29 PM
◂ Prev 1...11|12|13|14|15...95 Next ▸
SURVIVOR XII: Ahrens Crowned Champion Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.