Progressive Keeper League using Career Setting Topic

This is a great point, and i'm glad you brought it up italprof.  Ii've had a lot of experience with the career leagues, And there is more variation then one would think.  For example, i've used Joe DiMaggio 14 times in career leagues.  His best hr year was 43, his worst was 17 (twice).  Batting averages from .298 to .389.  Normalcy kicks in over time, and his over-all batting average for me in 14 seasons is .331 vs his real life .325.  But the point I want to make is that yes, there's more cinsistancy this way, as you suggest, but not as much as one would think.  Batting averages & opposing pitchers will alter things.

As you say in your last paragraph, part of the attraction is that players will develop and change over time.  That is still correct, but in a career format strategies will change and the amount of playing time each player gets could be different, depending on that year's roster.  There are more variables then one would think, but with a salary cap you don't have to guard against "that one season" where a player might go off and cost you a ton of money.

Basically, it's a different beast then the usual progressive leagues.  I've never done it before, so I can't say what will happen.  But I'm dying to find out.  You bring up great points, I hope you change your mind and join as I think you'd be a great addition to the group.
2/26/2013 10:14 PM
Good points gigrant. 

I admit there is some fun using the career stats. While the sharpest people here at WIS seem to have grown up playing ABPA baseball, and the good ones Strat-o-matic, I actually preferred, for some dim-witted reason, Sports Illustrated Baseball. 

The one cool thing is that they had an All-time, All-star version with the best 25 players historically for each of the 16 original teams - the Giants had Mathewson and Marichal, Ott and Mays, the Yankees had an OF of Mantle, Dimaggio and Ruth etc. all using their career stats. 

So I agree there is some fun to be had in it. I wish you luck with an original league idea. For the moment not what I am looking for but your answers to my questions are good ones and should encourage people to join it. 
2/27/2013 4:18 AM
when i was younger i actually had my own game using career averages and ten sided dice.  I only simmed the hitters, and it was AL vs NL.  it was so primitive, but kept me busy when i couldn't sleep or was just flat-out bored.  took forever to get through a 154 game schedule (162 was just too many).
2/27/2013 2:21 PM
My brother and I started playing APBA baseball in the early '60s. Wore out more than one cards and accessories (in fact, I've still got a huge box full of seasons from around 1965 into the mid '70s - since I'm on a fixed income and don't have time to play I'm thinking of selling them).

Enough of that except to say, playing one season against another altered player stats. Having players in the '70s hit against the pitchers before '69 did alter their ability. And even some of the hitters had the same problems.

Next, and to get to the point, I've used several players, in OL leagues,  time and time again, and their stats seem to change, some times drastically, each each time they're drafted. Sometimes I get the idea that, when you draft, you don't actually know which year the player you drafted you'll end up with. For instance, sometimes Ozzie Smith is unbelievable, and sometimes not that great. Sometimes you can't get Stan the Man out and sometimes he's not that great.

I kind of believe that, when you draft, Whatif kind of flips a coin to seen which season you end up with.

Now, after all that, a question. Do I have to draft players from 1901 - or close to that - to start? Or, could I, in the first season, draft - say Johnny Bench in his rookie year and play him until he retires?
2/27/2013 2:43 PM
i was always told if you can remember the 60's then you weren't really there....

only players who were active in 1901, and the draft will be done here in the forums.  each player will be exclusive to one franchise/owner.  if you draft honus wagner, then you will have him exclusively until he retires after the 1917 season.
2/27/2013 3:01 PM
Unfortunately, I remember the"early" '50s.. but few things from yesterday -(sigh).

Put me in - Comisky Park (I) - TBD -TBD

2/27/2013 3:24 PM
just to clarify. only players who are eligible for that year can be drafted? and, do we have to keep everyone from one season to next or can we drop players we no longer want between seasons? how would waivers work in this type of league?
2/27/2013 8:10 PM
Sounds different I like to sign up with the Richmond Spiders playing at Minute Maid Park
2/27/2013 9:02 PM
good questions stinathan.  i should have addressed that earlier.  you are correct about the draft.  i will put a list of avail players out for the 1901 season which we will use for our initial draft.  but you can drop as many players as you want at the end of the season and replace those with draft picks.  so if 2 of your player retire and you drop 2 more, you'd have 4 picks in the upcoming draft - 1 each for each of the first 4 rounds of the draft.  i don't believe the waiver wire will be viable as there will be very few players that aren't used.  but i'm still thinking about using AAA prospects (normal) for the first season as insurance.  once the league is full i will want opinions on that.

welcome aboard topkat!! 
2/28/2013 10:54 AM
I can't resist trying a career progressive. I'll take the Charlotte Hornets (a minor league team from 1901-1972) playing in Sportsman's Park
2/28/2013 1:36 PM
Let me see if I understand this fully. For the first season all the players drafted 'must' have played in 1901? Then in the second season 1902 players will be eligible and those that retired in 1901 won't be? Do I have that right?
2/28/2013 2:02 PM
Nationals park for Sudbury Nutrinos please
2/28/2013 2:28 PM
welcome aboard dspahlinger & deafheaven!

and yes bnicarlson, you got it right.  any players you want to cut or retire after the '01 season will be replaced in the next season's draft.  but players you cut can be drafted as well by other teams.  at the end of 1901 everyone will figure out who their returning players are and post them in the league forum (that i will create once the league is running).  they will also disclose their cuts & retirees.  The cuts will be added to the 1902 debuts to form the '02 draft (which the order will be based upon the previous season's results).
2/28/2013 2:53 PM
I will be unavailable for the draft from March 9 through March 17 inclusive-hope the draft would not start before Monday March 18.
2/28/2013 6:59 PM
I like this already. Especially love the "different " cities
2/28/2013 7:09 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...8 Next ▸
Progressive Keeper League using Career Setting Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.