Lohse Topic

Why does everyone think Lohse would sign a one-year deal?

You think if St. Louis came back and said "Hey Scott, your boy is in trouble and we could use him - we'll give him a one-year deal", that Boras would encourage Lohse to jump up and sign on the dotted line? He'd make them offer more years. And if they said no, then I could see Lohse waiting till after the draft.

Honestly, it would suck sitting out for two months - but he'd be fresh, presumably in great shape to help a club, and get a multi-year deal. It wouldn't be a bad idea for him. He's also more likely to end up with a contender.
2/26/2013 8:22 PM
I'm not saying he should take a one year deal, based on the current market for pitchers. The guy would've been signed long ago if it weren't for the draft pick. I think taking a one year deal would be better than sitting out for any amount of time.

That being said, if he does wait until after the draft, I'd bet a bunch of teams are all over him. At that point teams no longer need to worry about the compensation.
2/27/2013 4:04 PM
If he takes a one-year deal, who's to say he isn't sitting in the same place next season?
2/27/2013 6:53 PM
Or in a worse place? He can easily put up a 4.50 ERA.

He should hold out for a long term deal.
2/27/2013 10:47 PM
He'd be in a worse place because of what burns said and because he'll be a year older.   Let's face it, the days of giving 35 y/o pitchers 5 year deals are over.   In truth, I imagine his demands are what's holding him up and not some comp pick.    With Boras as his agent, you know he's asking for 5-6 years at a rate that doesn't work for anyone.

It's Boras playing chicken again and Boras usually wins.
2/28/2013 8:31 AM
Honestly, if George was still around, he'd be wearing pinstripes and throwing in Tampa right now.
2/28/2013 8:32 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/28/2013 8:32:00 AM (view original):
He'd be in a worse place because of what burns said and because he'll be a year older.   Let's face it, the days of giving 35 y/o pitchers 5 year deals are over.   In truth, I imagine his demands are what's holding him up and not some comp pick.    With Boras as his agent, you know he's asking for 5-6 years at a rate that doesn't work for anyone.

It's Boras playing chicken again and Boras usually wins.

I'm sure it's this.  Lohse is a 34 year old pitcher who is right at .500 for his career, with a career ERA close to 4.5, but who just happened to have strung together the best two years of his career in the last two.  They are looking to be paid like the last 2 years are the norm/expectatioin, teams aren't interested in that.

2/28/2013 8:55 AM
I've heard that AL teams are staying away because of his crappy stats while with the Twins. I don't see why a team like the Giants or Padres wouldn't take a shot though.
2/28/2013 10:25 PM
Giants are pretty much set up with their rotation. I don't see Padres making a splash when they probably aren't competing.

The Brewers seem to be a good match. Right on the edge of competing for one of the wild card spots, could use another pitcher.
2/28/2013 10:35 PM
I'm not sold on the Giants pitching. One or two of their starts will have medicore years at best.
2/28/2013 10:50 PM
Possible. If Zito struggles and Lohse is around in June, I can see it then.
2/28/2013 10:58 PM
Honestly, it's entirely possible that if the Giants pitching is poor enough that they'd bring in a fairly high-pricetage free agent, they might not be in it enough to spend money.  They figure to have Angel Pagan, Brandon Crawford, and Gregor Blanco in the everyday lineup.  With the Dodgers in their division, St. Louis always a little too good to count out of a playoff hunt, and the realistic possibility that both wildcards could come out of the East, it's not all that hard to see the Giants missing the postseason entirely this year...  If they get in, they're still a really tough team to beat in short series when they tighten up the rotation, but they have to get there first.
3/1/2013 12:02 AM
Especially after the year Lincecum had last year.

I won't count them out because they definitely surprised last year, but a rotation of Cain, Lincecum, Bumgarner, Zito and Vogelsong really doesn't impress me that much.
3/1/2013 12:23 AM
I have to think Lincecum will be better this year if he's healthy.  I was concerned his elbow was bothering him last year, he threw very few sliders early in the season and his velocity was down.  If it's feeling strong again, he should be Lincecum.  Or so one would hope, if one was a Giants fan...

And Cain and Bumgarner are studs.

3/1/2013 1:12 AM
Posted by Jtpsops on 2/28/2013 10:25:00 PM (view original):
I've heard that AL teams are staying away because of his crappy stats while with the Twins. I don't see why a team like the Giants or Padres wouldn't take a shot though.
Probably because Boras is likely asking 4-5 years at 14-15m each. 
3/1/2013 8:59 AM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Lohse Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.