Posted by bighiggy79 on 2/25/2013 9:44:00 AM (view original):
Also, I'm no psychologist, but reading between the lines, it sounds to me like he paid for a season, regrets it, and is looking for a reason to get his money back. If you enjoy playing the game, what's the difference in finding a good D2 team in a good D2 conference as opposed to a terrible D1 team in a terrible D1 conference, unless of course, your real life perception of a college comes into play.
a lot of people look at making d1 as the holy grail of sorts, its the place to be in their mind. i can see holding people back, but not because they took a crap d1 school and didnt do a great job. even a pretty good job can leave you far from the post season, when you are just a few seasons in, forcing you out of d1. maybe if the way we treated the first couple seasons of a rebuild, was more realistic, i would agree with you. to me, if you want to overhaul the whole process, i could get on board with it, and on board with more realism. but to keep 1 piece realistic when its connected to so many so unrealistic pieces, i just dont see the point.
2/25/2013 1:02 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Overall I'd like to see more fluidity in the jobs process. Get rid of Longshot and the dreaded Keep Looking. Keep Step Backwards, Qualified, and Not-Qualified. I-N-C-R-E-A-S-E  F-I-R-I-N-G-S. Don't have a strong position either way on the "if in D1 always in D1" benchmarks that's being argued. I do feel that low-D1 being a ghost town is a poor argument for it. I don't think lackluster marketing is a reason to alter how the game works.
2/25/2013 1:25 PM
The comparison between real life and HD in this instance is pretty incongruous and, in my opinion, not terribly relevant.

We all know and understand how the game works. And when it comes to jobs, it's not the same way (for many, many reasons) that it works in real life.

I honestly think this is extremely cut-and-dried -- barely qualified for DI, stunk up the joint while there, no longer qualified. Makes perfect sense to me.
2/25/2013 8:29 PM (edited)
Posted by stinenavy on 2/25/2013 1:25:00 PM (view original):
Overall I'd like to see more fluidity in the jobs process. Get rid of Longshot and the dreaded Keep Looking. Keep Step Backwards, Qualified, and Not-Qualified. I-N-C-R-E-A-S-E  F-I-R-I-N-G-S. Don't have a strong position either way on the "if in D1 always in D1" benchmarks that's being argued. I do feel that low-D1 being a ghost town is a poor argument for it. I don't think lackluster marketing is a reason to alter how the game works.
the only point i was making about d1 being so empty is, surely, letting people come back for round 2 is not hurting others. the rest of us in d1 would like more human coaches, its not like these guys are taking coveted d1 spots from other coaches or anything. i agree, its not a reason to shove coaches into d1 when they arent ready - but it is somewhat of a victimless crime. however, i do think that the game is unfair and unrealistic in how it evaluates success. so, if you have someone who got to d1, tried for a couple seasons, gave up, and wants to try again - i dont really view allowing them to do so, giving them something they dont deserve. by current job and resume logic, sure, they arent qualified. but i think most of us agree, if you take over a top 10 team, and have 4 first round exist in the next four years, and another guy takes a rebuild, spends 2 years shoveling ****, and then has 4 first round exits in the next four years - that the second guy did MASSIVELY better. HD resume logic does not treat it as such, and i think if the situation was taken into account when evaluating success, there would be absolutely no need for the sort of artificial/superficial logic we are discussing (and from an idealistic standpoint, im against it - but from a practical standpoint, if they wont change job logic, id vote for it. 2 wrongs can make a right, cant they ;). it might not be enough to get these guys a second d1 job, but i do think it would make the ride smoother for most coaches who have these sort of issues.

of course, there is no chance in hell of any of this happening... i just am very interested in this topic, and enjoy hearing the opinions of others, as it definitely influences my own. the ideal layout for worlds in a built-from-scratch sim engine is something that interests me - i think there is a difficult problem there, and getting it right could have significant ramifications (on the theoretical alternate basketball sim engine game). i dont think the HD model is very effective, and i think it scales even worse than it is now. so im definitely enjoying this thread :)

i totally agree with you on the job statuses... its so dumb that you can go to look for a job, and have 0 jobs for which you are "qualified". 100% step backwards, keep looking, or not qualified - thats just retarded! i would like to see firings too - even though absent a compelling reason, i think it makes sense to work to preserve coaches - i think there is a pretty compelling reason in this case. the frustration of the collective community as they watch a coach at an elite miss the post season for 6 straight years, only for a PIT to buy them two more... i think that far out weights the frustration the individual coach might experience, if they get fired!

2/25/2013 4:34 PM (edited)
Posted by girt25 on 2/25/2013 2:32:00 PM (view original):
The comparison between real life and HD in this instance is pretty incongruous and, in my opinion, not terribly relevant.

We all know and understand how the game works. And when it comes to jobs, it's not the same way (for many, many reasons) that it works in real life.

I honestly think this was is extremely cut-and-dried -- barely qualified for DI, stunk up the joint while there, no longer qualified. Makes perfect sense to me.
I apologize. I got sidetracked on the real life argument, which really has nothing to do with my point. My point is.....well.....what he said. ^^^^^
2/25/2013 5:17 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
◂ Prev 12345

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.