What Would MikeT Do? Topic

MikeT,

I just traded for Glenn Herman in World Bench (on my phone & on a business trip, so no link-sorry!)

A new owner took over his team & wasn't starting him- he was only getting AB's as a PH. Just a couple seasons ago he was a 50 homer MVP. Seems like a good RF, based on your RF experiment. We're actually going to have him take his bat to RF instead of a glove. Results will be about the same :)

Counting on him hurting me less in right than he would at C. (NL team, so can only DH him in AL ballparks)

What do you think?
2/22/2013 5:11 PM
I'd get that bat in the line-up one way or the other.   I played Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Alexei Martinez in RF a good bit(AL team) and use Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Kenneth Simpson as much as I can out there.   I think their bats carry their gloves.
It woul be nice if Herman had a better arm but it would be nice if a bevy of supermodels insisted on giving me oral sex.   Neither is happening so you go with what you have.
2/22/2013 5:38 PM
lol!

thanks, we'll see how it goes
2/23/2013 9:29 AM
Since we're on the subject (poor defensive catchers who can hit, not supermodels), I planned to use this guy - whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerProfile.aspx - as a RF in the MikeT mold, but his 2 negative plays in 26 innings out there scared me off. He's a barely adequate catcher, but doesn't seem to hurting my staff any more than the other guy who has 15 PC points on him - whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerProfile.aspx - and is basically splitting at bats, catching for my starting pitchers with weaker pitches. Both have noodle arms, so that's a wash. But both have better hitting ratings than the guys I'm throwing out in RF, so if I could get both in the lineup, I'd like to do it.

I'm not trying to win this year, but I am trying to set the team up to win a season or two down the road, obviously. Julio won't be back next year, but Mitchell's bat is far above average for my org right now, and I have a good defensive catcher who can hit a little in AAA this year. Can I stick Mitchell, who is a much better hitter than my other RF options, in the lineup without killing me defensively? Was I just freaking out too soon after those 3 games early in the year? I'm especially worried about his arm, which would still be relatively weak in RF.
2/23/2013 4:06 PM
As you can see, the guys I'm using regularly are committing negative plays.    I want their bats in the line-up.    If I get a negative play every 10 games or so, I can live with it because the rest of my defense is pretty damn good.
2/23/2013 4:17 PM
I'd take 1 in 10 too. I don't know about 2 in 3! 

Obviously can't extrapolate from that sample size, but I guess what I'm getting at is where the threshold is regarding how weak the arm is and how limited the range is before he starts really doing damage out there. He doesn't *kill* me at catcher, and at least for this season, when my AAA defensive guy isn't ready and I don't care so much about upgrading the offense in RF, there's no pressure to find another spot for him. I have to figure out next year though, especially since he'll be arb-eligible.
2/23/2013 4:29 PM
I checked my active teams to attempt to find a similar arm used in RF.    Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Tomas Crespo was the closest.   Wasn't me using him but, in S15 with a 57/55 arm, he committed 17 negative plays in 1300 innings.  MItchell's arm is a little better than that but, yeah, he's going to crank out a few extra bad plays because he throws like a girl.
2/23/2013 4:41 PM
That's helpful, thanks. Good to know there's not likely a cliff he's at risk of falling off, at least at this point. I'll probably give him a shot out there once the defensive guy comes up.
2/23/2013 6:02 PM
Based on my understanding of the "The Rightfielder" thread, this all revolves around the observation that Range is a critical stat for CF and LF, but in RF it's Arm that matters.

Let me ask the opposite.  If I have an average LF - decent range and glove but weak arm - based on these assumptions is he actually likely to do more damage if I put him in RF?  More damage than even a C playing out of position?

2/23/2013 7:28 PM
I believe that to be true.  Assuming, of course, that the out of position C has a good arm.

Obviously, a 9/24/55/53 will be worse than a 55/70/55/53 player. 
2/23/2013 7:34 PM
The Herman experiment, in the early stages:

78 at bats
6R-4HR-18RBI's (in the 4 hole), .308/.372/.526
(my home park is San Jose, which is one of the most- if not the most- pitcher friendly park available)

170 innings in RF
18 put outs, 3 assists, 1 error, 1 double play
0 +plays, 1 -play, .955 Fld%, 1.11 range factor
3/1/2013 10:05 AM
(his teammates need to knock him in a few more times! he only has 6 runs, and on 4 of the 6 he RBI's himself!)
3/1/2013 10:06 AM
*RBI'd
3/1/2013 10:06 AM
So why did a second "Ask MikeT23 Anything" thread get started? Was the 700+ page one not good enough?
3/1/2013 10:41 AM
This is a WWMTD thread.

I'm making bracelets.   How many would you like?   $4.99 each.
3/1/2013 10:43 AM
12 Next ▸
What Would MikeT Do? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.