Recruiting on an iPhone with one bar... Topic

I was camping last recruiting cycle with so little access to the Internet, I actually spent 30 minutes hiking to the highest point with any signal at all. It got me one (rarely 2) bars of AT&Ts horrible EDGE network. I spent one frustrating hour one the hilltop, only to completely fail on my cycle and picked up a walkon.

I had charged my iPhone on my car charger, which drained my battery, so much so that it couldn't even be jumped. Had to call a tow truck to the middle of nowhere. Oh, did I mention I had no signal on my iPhone?

Anyways, look forward to anyone else's "the lengths I went to for recruiting" stories.. Missing your own wedding, stealing someone's wifi, etc...

JC
2/18/2013 12:37 PM
My favorite story (wish I could remember the coach who posted it):

His wife as in labor. After the doctors left the room, he wondered, "Can I get internet on those monitors?" Sure enough, he did and was able to recruit. Whenever the doctor returned, he'd quickly log out and pretend he was monitoring his wife's condition.  His quote, "I'll probably go to hell for this."
2/18/2013 1:11 PM
I have also tried to recruit on an iPhone with one bar. The last two recruiting cycles have had that first two-hour window fall right in the middle of a hockey game to which I had tickets. Arena wifi is bad. 
2/18/2013 2:11 PM
I stick to the internet for my recruiting, either from home computer or on laptop if I'm out somewhere.

I never got the point of cell phones with internet. I hate looking at the small screen on my phone for anything, let along complex internet things like recruiting.

2/18/2013 2:14 PM
Twitter for cell phones is pretty useful if you are on twitter independently. I find web browsing (and recruiting) on cell phones to be very unwieldy, but if you're at a game, or camping, what choice do you have? 
2/18/2013 2:24 PM
If I'm doing something where I absolutely don't have internet, I just don't worry about recruiting until I'm back where I can get internet.  It's just not that big of a deal.

2/18/2013 2:27 PM
Posted by alblack56 on 2/18/2013 1:11:00 PM (view original):
My favorite story (wish I could remember the coach who posted it):

His wife as in labor. After the doctors left the room, he wondered, "Can I get internet on those monitors?" Sure enough, he did and was able to recruit. Whenever the doctor returned, he'd quickly log out and pretend he was monitoring his wife's condition.  His quote, "I'll probably go to hell for this."
Now THAT is a great story!!!
2/18/2013 2:28 PM
My two year old daughter enjoys playing the "hide Daddy's phone" game.  I was in a recruiting battle a few seasons back and decided I'd put a ton of cash in just before signings, then the rest of my budget if I didn't get him with that push, so I would just jump on 15 minutes before and be good to go.  But my wife was busy working on the laptop and I really didn't feel like entering the "can I interrupt your work so I can recruit make believe players on a simulation game I use our money to play?", so I needed to use my phone.  Only it was nowhere to be found.  Ask my daughter where it is... hysterical laughter from her with a mocking "I don't know...".  It's not fun to be mocked by a two year old.  I almost gave her a sucker just to take it away.  I asked my one year old son, aka her partner in crime most of the time, where it is and he goes and gets me his play Grover phone.  Not helpful... Grover can only call other sesame street characters and be obnoxiously loud.

Long story short, I eventually found it inside a toy tea pot inside a cabinet of her play kitchen (creative hiding spot, I'll give her that), about 15 minutes after signings started and I sign on to see that the player hasn't signed with the other school yet, but he did dump enough in to knock me off of the considering list.  Probably wound up saving me some recruiting cash as I'd likely have lost the battle.  But it also cost me $1.99 to go download a good "find your iPhone" app off the app store that overrides your do not disturb settings.
2/18/2013 2:48 PM
Posted by ryrun on 2/18/2013 2:48:00 PM (view original):
My two year old daughter enjoys playing the "hide Daddy's phone" game.  I was in a recruiting battle a few seasons back and decided I'd put a ton of cash in just before signings, then the rest of my budget if I didn't get him with that push, so I would just jump on 15 minutes before and be good to go.  But my wife was busy working on the laptop and I really didn't feel like entering the "can I interrupt your work so I can recruit make believe players on a simulation game I use our money to play?", so I needed to use my phone.  Only it was nowhere to be found.  Ask my daughter where it is... hysterical laughter from her with a mocking "I don't know...".  It's not fun to be mocked by a two year old.  I almost gave her a sucker just to take it away.  I asked my one year old son, aka her partner in crime most of the time, where it is and he goes and gets me his play Grover phone.  Not helpful... Grover can only call other sesame street characters and be obnoxiously loud.

Long story short, I eventually found it inside a toy tea pot inside a cabinet of her play kitchen (creative hiding spot, I'll give her that), about 15 minutes after signings started and I sign on to see that the player hasn't signed with the other school yet, but he did dump enough in to knock me off of the considering list.  Probably wound up saving me some recruiting cash as I'd likely have lost the battle.  But it also cost me $1.99 to go download a good "find your iPhone" app off the app store that overrides your do not disturb settings.
I really didn't feel like entering the "can I interrupt your work so I can recruit make believe players on a simulation game I use our money to play?"

Best description ever. The Muggles just don't get it...
2/18/2013 3:06 PM
I was in my family room with my girlfriend watching a movie when I realized I hadn't recruited for the 5 o'clock cycle right before signings and it was about 10 minutes to 8, so I got up in the middle of the movie and just said I'd be right back, leaving abruptly.  I managed to rush up the stairs, to luckily find my desktop computer abandoned, and I hopped on and got my recruiting efforts in with maybe one-two minutes before 8.  I contemplated staying there to continue recruiting after signings started/check to see who I'd signed, but my girlfriend won out there and I went back downstairs.  I didn't check again until the next morning, only to discover I'd lost my top target over night...

I don't think this tops most stories, but she's cost me a few times in recruiting when I've chosen her over a cycle or two, because she has an odd habit of always wanting to spend the entire day with me on the first day of signings (without knowing that it's the first day of signings...to my awareness).

2/18/2013 3:07 PM
Posted by bistiza on 2/18/2013 2:14:00 PM (view original):
I stick to the internet for my recruiting, either from home computer or on laptop if I'm out somewhere.

I never got the point of cell phones with internet. I hate looking at the small screen on my phone for anything, let along complex internet things like recruiting.

funny, i mostly do not stick to the internet for my recruiting. preferred methods include call-in service, fax, and snail mail.
2/18/2013 3:27 PM
Posted by gillispie1 on 2/18/2013 3:27:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bistiza on 2/18/2013 2:14:00 PM (view original):

funny, i mostly do not stick to the internet for my recruiting. preferred methods include call-in service, fax, and snail mail.
I use quipos.
2/18/2013 3:35 PM
I was recruiting, in the restroom, at my niece's wedding reception. I was gone for so long that my Mom  sent my  85-year old father to check on me.  From inside the stall, I heard him say, "Allen, you OK? Your mom's worried."
2/18/2013 3:42 PM
From a waiting line at a wake......people are bawling all around me as I am staring at my phone cursing and cheering. I also recruited at halftime of a hs all star game I was officiating in... I was volunteering, I don't even feel bad about that one. I might have checked in during a time out..
2/18/2013 6:10 PM
I don't consider the cell phone to be the internet. It's a cell phone, used for phone calls, not internet. That's why I said "I use the internet," which to me means a computer.
2/19/2013 8:46 AM
12 Next ▸
Recruiting on an iPhone with one bar... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.