NCIH $52M Draft League XXXVIIII Topic

14 hours and counting.
2/28/2013 1:13 PM
tick..tack..tick..tack...tick..tack..tick..tack...tick..tack..tick..tack...tick..tack..tick..tack...tick..tack..tick..tacktick..tack..tick..tack...tick..tack..tick..tack...tick..tack..tick..tack...
tick..tack..tick..tack...tick..tack..tick..tack...tick..tack..tick..tack...tick..tack..tick..tack...tick..tack..tick..tack...tick..tack..tick..tack...tick..tack..tick..tack...tick..tack..tick..tack...
tick..tack..tick..tack...tick..tack..tick..tack...tick..tack..tick..tack...tick..tack..tick..tack...tick..tack..tick..tack...tick..tack..tick..tack...tick..tack..tick..tack...tick..tack..tick..tack...

2/28/2013 1:36 PM
i was very close to moving up the clock a day early yesterday....mike would have been skipped by now and id get my guy...dammit
2/28/2013 1:52 PM
So, I grew up in Denver and the better summer hoops camps generally had various Nuggets coming in to demonstrate skills and give pep talks.  I remember meeting Dan Issel, Billy McKinney, Bobby Wilkerson, and an aging Charlie Scott.  (Man, the Nuggets sucked in those days!)  The summer before tenth grade Kiki Vandeweghe came and held forth for a while, showing us various kinds of pivots and jab steps to create space to either drive or pull up and shoot.  And to be fair, the guy was a monster scorer for several seasons.

After a while he asked for a volunteer to play him one on one.  The kid who came forward was a sophomore who was 6'7" or 6'8" and later went on to play for Kansas St.  Kiki handed him the ball at the top of the key and set up on defense.  The kid takes about two long steps and lays it right in over Kiki's long arms.  The kid was astonished and embarrassed, and you could see Kiki was ticked.  He grabbed the ball, drove and missed, and then started playing (what was for him) knuckle-down defense.  He stuffed the kid, stripped him, and was ripping down boards.  The youngster couldn't score on him again, but Kiki couldn't score either.  They were about the same length and had similar body types, but you could see the kid would only get bigger and stronger.  After a long 4 or 5 minutes Kiki finally slashed in and scored on a contested layup, and the red-faced organizers declared it a tie.  Kiki took off without saying much and looked like he was headed home to drink tequila alone in front of the Flintstones until he felt better. 

A year later Vandeweghe was traded.  I followed that kid in local box scores and saw him pop for some forty point games later in high school.  I don't think he did much at K-State.  I think his name was something like Robert Coyne.

2/28/2013 2:00 PM
great story LTB!  And yeah should be 24 hr. OTC for a league like this.  Then move on.........IMO
2/28/2013 2:33 PM
well no one wants mike skipped more than i do but the times were already set and it just wouldnt be fair to mike to change them without him knowing
2/28/2013 2:49 PM
i'm just hoping he's OK at this point, not like him to be gone this long without explanation
2/28/2013 3:09 PM
Longtall that's a cool story. Did you ever meet English?
2/28/2013 3:16 PM
Swen Nater

Please smail for me. Had a rough night. More details later.
2/28/2013 3:41 PM
classic
2/28/2013 3:46 PM
Posted by mikee1 on 2/28/2013 3:41:00 PM (view original):
Swen Nater

At least you're alive. Strange things happen this days.

2/28/2013 3:54 PM
Posted by mikee1 on 2/28/2013 3:41:00 PM (view original):
Swen Nater

Sorry to hear it, man.  Hope you're okay enough.
2/28/2013 3:56 PM
Posted by sixernuggets on 2/28/2013 3:16:00 PM (view original):
Longtall that's a cool story. Did you ever meet English?
No, I never did, but he was definitely a hero of mine.  Loved that smooth rainbow jumper.
2/28/2013 3:56 PM
too funny....i was sure mike was taking him....well i might have crappy defense and rebounding but ill be shooting 55%+ a game

Steve Nash

2/28/2013 3:57 PM
DH I was in a toss up between Nash, Harper and another guy. Nash was my first option, but I went against it since I had Reggie.
2/28/2013 4:03 PM
◂ Prev 1...15|16|17|18|19...27 Next ▸
NCIH $52M Draft League XXXVIIII Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.