Help with Fastbreak Offense Topic

Some of my best teams have been with PG's who could do everything but play defense  (defense in the 40's). When you have a mid major team like Pacific you are unlikely to get stud recruits. The better teams generally shy away from poor defensive players because they want players that do everything.  If you want to win from a mid major stand point you have to pick the best players from the leftovers.

My last Pacific team had a PG who played 20 minutes a game with a 44 defense. That team beat Alabama(think it was) in the 1st round and lost to Purdue by 10ish points. I think that team did pretty well with a PG who could not play defense.

2/24/2013 4:29 PM (edited)
Posted by plague on 2/24/2013 4:29:00 PM (view original):
Some of my best teams have been with PG's who could do everything but play defense  (defense in the 40's). When you have a mid major team like Pacific you are unlikely to get stud recruits. The better teams generally shy away from poor defensive players because they want players that do everything.  If you want to win from a mid major stand point you have to pick the best players from the leftovers.

My last Pacific team had a PG who played 20 minutes a game with a 44 defense. That team beat Alabama(think it was) in the 1st round and lost to Purdue by 10ish points. I think that team did pretty well with a PG who could not play defense.

What were his other stats?  Anyone with less than 50 def for me is in constant foul trouble (and this is coming from a D3 coach).  Was he coming off the bench his entire career?

2/24/2013 4:41 PM
I have never noticed defense meaning more foul troubles. I will start paying more attention to that.
2/24/2013 5:02 PM
Hard for me to remember over the seasons who had what ratings so it would be hard for me to list past players, I was with the team for 2 years of real life time, its my home town college, I just came to the realization I will never get to the next level at Pacific so I decided to work my way at moving up

. I remember this player because it was from 2 seasons ago. He was not a stud and I can't remember how much he started as a senior. He was one of my main PG on a mid major team who made it to the 2nd round of the NT. His defense was around 44ish.

Ivan Stolarski
PG | 6'2" | 192 lbs. | 3.6GPA | Played Seasons 53-56
Signed By: plague
Undrafted
Awards
Conference Awards: First Team All Conference | Second Team All Conference
National Awards: None
Statistics
  GP GS MIN FG% FG3% FT% OREB REB AST TO STL BLK PF PTS
  119 21 15.9 .472 .385 .776 0.6 1.6 3.2 1.5 1.1 0.0 2.8 6.7

GP GS MIN FGM FGA FG3M FG3A FTM FTA OFF REB AST TO STL BLK PF PTS
  119 21 1887 257 545 35 91 253 326 69 186 384 179 132 0 338 802

2/24/2013 5:11 PM (edited)
Part of the beauty of the uptempo, fast break, full court press is the "who cares if he picks up fouls" mentality.  Most of the time, your guys are only playing 16-22 minutes anyway, it isn't like they are going to foul out.  What I find is the only time  there is a big foul difference in my opponents advantage is when the other team is way better than me anyway.
2/24/2013 5:16 PM
and I didn't mean to imply that you can't win your way plague, I was trying to say it isn't the only way....
2/24/2013 5:17 PM
I was never trying to say my way was the best way or there was not a better way. my experience is minimal. Every level I have played at  I have practiced FB/FP and nothing else.  I was just giving my opinion based on my experiences playing the FB/FP mainly from Pacific with a C to B- prestige.

I would like to of stayed at Pacific but this game makes it impossible to compete at the national level at a lesser college so I just recently moved to George Washington and with 1 recruiting season in the books, a very mediocre recruiting season with no recruits that excite me, and I don't think I will have any recruits my 2nd season that excite me, but they all seem to be decent which fits in well with the FB/FP offense and depth but probably won't be enough to get me to the next level.

I have noticed everyone values defense high and in my opinion its overvalued. I see way too many teams that never get over the mediocre hump because they emphasize too much value on defense. I think some of these teams would do better if they add a offensive threat at the expense of defense.
2/24/2013 5:33 PM
Plague; I think that diminishing returns principle is true of almost everything, save perhaps ath and speed. Too much of anything - at the expense of other things - loses efficiency.

As far as fb/FCP I usually did best prioritizing ath then speed, defense and ball handling.

Stamina naturally for both lists.

The biggest strength of fb is causing fouls in your opponent and its biggest weakness is your team turning the ball over.
Ath,sped, bh. Accentuate the positives and ameliorate the negatives

The biggest strength of FCP is in causing turnovers in your opponent, its biggest weakness is in causing fouls for your team
Ath, speed, def. accentuate the positives and ameliorate the negatives.
2/25/2013 11:13 AM
I don't know about the BH/P part.   My 6 Passing PF turns the ball over as much as my 92 passing PG.  And my 14 BH Center turns the ball over 67% less than both (admittedly because he doesn't shoot).

I also have 9 guys on my Rutgers team that have staminas under 80.   

And I only practice offense 20 minutes.
2/25/2013 1:40 PM
◂ Prev 12
Help with Fastbreak Offense Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.